Anyone here playing Planetside?

...that means you and a few hundred other people can reach out and touch each other, with armor-piercing rounds if you want. :D I know there's plenty of FFXI players around, but I started wondering if I'm the only one who plays it.

For those of you that haven't heard of it, it's SoE's FPS-player version of Everquest, in very basic terms. You have several continents (8-10, IIRC) with bases on them connected to each other with a lattice system, similar to Onslaught Mode in Unreal Tournament 2004. Your goal as any of the three armies/races is to take over all these bases, thusly securing the continent. You then move on to another, stay and defend that one, etc.

There's a nice variety of weaponry and vehicles available, about half of which is common pool and half of which is empire specific. Each empire/race has a concept behind their empire specific vehicles and wepaonry. The Terran Republic is spray'n'pray, with high-ROF weaponry that does lesser damage individually. The New Conglomerate packs a heavy punch but has longer reload times (and, almost inarguably, the cheapest weapon of the game: The Jackhammer), while the Vanu Sovenrity has versatility and mobility on its side.

Weapons, armor, and vehicle use are handled by certification points you gain as you go up in the ranks, from Battle Rank 1 to 20 (the cap is at 20, allowing you a total of 23 cert points). You get certified to use a class of weapon, armor, or vehicle and then can equip it from the right terminal available in any base.

I figured I'd ask again because the new BFRs (BattleFrame Robotics... or Big F'n Robots) are coming out soon, which may or may not grab the attention of some here.

More info can be had at planetside.com

I played it for about 6-9 months when it first came out...but theres only so many times I can attack the same bases etc etc.

And the Vanu had to powerful weapons.

Tried it again not to long ago but was just bored with it.

Still got the lagspikes as well, which sucks.

The main problem with the Vanu weapons isn't nesscearily their strength, but that the projectiles are rendered in such a way as to really eat up system resources, providing a large chance for you to get killed while your system is going "omgwtf?! I have to render that?!"

You're right about the bases thing, although they're supposedly going to introduce redesigned, larger-scale bases soon that involve multi-building structures connected together underground and all that.