Macross the complete 3 cds set

Hi everyone!

I've got a few questions for the Macross experts out there, about the "Macross complete" 3 cd set, published in 1992.

I've read somewhere that a version of it exists wich comes in a cardboard box and two booklets: one in color with tons of pictures and one in black and white with staff interviews.

I've never seen this version so far, and I'm wondering if it's a first print or something? :huh:

Also, I know that each disc has originally a picture of Minmay/Misa/Ikaru on it (in fact, it's the same picture, but the color changes on each disc).

But mine doesn't have these pictures. Just the "Macross the complete" inscription on each disc. Does this mean this is a re-release?

I can't believe it's a bootleg since it comes from Japan and is manufactured by Victor. :(

So, if there are Macross experts out there, any info would be welcome.

Thanks for listening, folks!

Tony Stark, aka Iron Man :ph34r:

As far as I know there are three versions out there, two of them legit Japanese release by Victor and the last a boot by a Taiwanese company called SM.

The one you refer with the special cardboard outer case is one of the legit version and was the first pressing very very and almost impossible to find nowadays!

Valk009 :)

So far as I know (and I could be wrong) there are only two printings of "Macross: The Complete"

the only *true* release is the victor records one, which comes in a 3-disc jewel case (as per standard 3 disc sets these days) with one booklet with no pictures to speak of.

There was a second release of this set by SonMay which is classified as a bootleg item- The only way to distinguish between the two is the record label at the bottom of the front cover of the jewel case (again, I only have the original, and I've only seen the front of the SonMay set, so that's a limited experience)

There may have been a limited release box-set but I have never seen or heard of such an animal in my time here at Macrossworld.

(edit: Appears I was wrong! I've never heard of a boxed set, but I would pay an obscene amount of money to get one.)

Edited by Skull Leader

I'll say it's not important whether the first print/limited edition looks much better or has better contents. They still play the same music, right? :)

I've also never seen it before. Actually, I've never even heard of it until now! :p Maybe it'll turn up eventually on Yahoo Japan. :lol:

Well, thx for the answers guys.

But I still don't know how it comes that the discs in my box set don't have the aforementioned picture of Misa/Minmay/Hikaru on them?

I'm really trying to find if the one I've got is an original japanese one :(

It has everything like the official japanese release, except for this picture that should be on each of the three disc in a different color.

It's definitely not the Sonmay version since it's manufactured by Victor, and looks exactly like all the pictures of the official release I've seen on the net (except of course for this these damned picture discs). :angry:

Maybe it's only a reissue, but the date on the spincard is still 1992.

Come on, I can't be the only man on earth with this version?? :blink:

Tony Stark, aka Iron Man :ph34r:

There are two official Japaneses Editions of Macross The Complete.

1) It cames as a Box Set. Incluing the 3 set disc, the "standard" Booklet and a special black booklet. Although, I'm not quite sure if the "standard" booklet includes photographs. I know of its existance and actually seen it. But I couldn't check it out.

2) The "standard" or "regular" edition. The most common and the easiest to get now a days. This just includes the 3 Set, (Package as the old fashioned 2 CD Set). I usually refer this Edition as "Macross The Complete (Incomplete)". I believe is the one Iron Man has.

Don't worry is the same I have.