UPDATED! 3D Printing replacement Takatoku 1/100 VF-1 parts?

lungbarrow

I posted this in the toy forum, but occurred to me I might have more "luck" over here where the builders are:

I've got a couple of Takatoku VF-1A valks with damaged head lasers. Is anyone aware of any 3D printed replacements or other makeshift fixes? I imagine it's possible to make a 3D printed replacement, so I'm hoping maybe someone has done it. 

I'm also debating a full cannon replacement (unscrewing an 40 year old toy seems precarious) or just a slightly to large in diameter slide over piece? On both about 1/4inch of the cannon is still present.

They got damaged when I was younger, the missing portion of the cannon is long gone.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

Edited by lungbarrow

I don't have one of these but if you have the necessary measurements, the part can be easily done. 

Iif you can drill a 1mm hole in the remaining bit of the antenna that can avoid the complete opening. But if not, I'm afraid that you will need to open the head to remove the old bit and replace it. 

Edit.

Edited by Xigfrid

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

I don't have one of these but if you have the necessary measurements, the part can be easily done. 

Iif you can drill a 1mm hole in the remaining bit of the antenna that can avoid the complete opening. But if not, I'm afraid that you will need to open the head to remove the old bit and replace it. 

Edit.

The remaining post is ~2mm wide, I think it's probably best to replace the whole part. I'll borrow some digital calipers and get precise measurements this week. Then I'll upload some pics and measurements. Thanks!

(And the screw same out easily without any damage. Whew!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 1:29 PM, Xigfrid said:

Edit.

Thanks to a donation from my son, I did a "good enough for me" fix using Finn's blaster from The Force Awakens. Not a perfect match (size or color) but close enough since this spends most of its time in jet or gerwalk mode. 

IMG_5358.JPG