Remember Kings Bounty?

Ladic

3279.jpg

I've heard that there is a new version of this game that came out for PS2, anyone know what the name of the game is?

I loved to play KB on my Genesis, I would love to check out the new game.

3279.jpg

I've heard that there is a new version of this game that came out for PS2, anyone know what the name of the game is?

I loved to play KB on my Genesis, I would love to check out the new game.

I remember that title, published by EA/New world computing.

New World Computing also followed that game with the Heroes of Might and Magic Series which takes Kings Bounty and adds lots of improvements and new stuff.

I think there was 4 or 5 sequels to heros of might and magic. It eventually became a turned based kings bounty/warcraft hybrid. Pretty fun stuff.

You can probably get the PC version at EB for 9 bucks these days.

ahhh, so Kings BOunty is Heroes of the Might and Magic? that actually makes sense, I have HoMaM 2 and 3, very good games.

So I guess the HoMaM for PS2 would be the sequel for Kings Bounty?

It sucks, one of the few PS2 games I ended up selling because it was that bad.

The problem is disc load time. The original game plays off your PC's hard disc (it was originally released on PC and Macintosh) and combat was stack/sprite based. This version tries to go 3D but the result is less than impressive, and the constant "loading" screen just drove me nuts.

BTW Heroes of Might and Magic was actually a series of turn-based strategy game, this "Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff" was really the PS2 "remake" of King's Bounty (not even close in terms of gameplay, IMO) trying to cash in on the Heroes of M&M name.

You'd be better off finding the original Heroes of Might & Magic for PC or Mac, if I remember correctly the CD-ROM comes with the original King's Bounty as a bonus.

Heroes of Might and Magic went up to like 4, with 2 and 3 being considered the best. Ive got 3 myself. Its quite good. Havent played it under XP though...

And the Gameboy Color even had a HOMM for it.

Note also the original Kings Bounty was an Apple 2/PC/Amiga/C64 title.

Back in the day, Electronic Arts brought lots of innovative and interesting computer games to the Genesis. Before Madden and liscenses became their bread and butter. (With killing great companies like Westwood, Origin Systems, and Kesmai being their hobby..)

A LOT of the early EA console titles are really Amiga titles, since the Genesis and Amiga share the same CPU. (Motorolla 68000) Not hard to transfer over, especially when the graphics capabilities were similar. (Most Amigas until the 1200s used 32 colors as their on screen palette with a 320ish resolution, though they were capable with some tricks of going up to 4096 in the "HAM" mode, and could also interlace for 640 resolutions. Most games didn't use these features during the Amiga's heyday. )

Its one reason I liked the Genesis so much. It allowed me to play some of the games my little Commodore 64 couldn't handle. Like Populous and Star Control.

(Yeah there was a C64 Star Control. It was apparently a shadow of the real thing.)