Skull Leader...

lol, I was in the newsagency today, spotted an aircraft 2007 calendar.

Browsing to the November page i think it was, lol guess what i saw?! :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think this formation or flight mission whatever u call it, was called "Joint Wings" or sumthin.

Pretty cool! Ahh the good ol Tomcat. :)

People that are in the know, is this Tomcat with Skull Leader paint markings ever used for combat??

Or is this just a one off flight sorty?

No, i didn't buy the calendar, this was the only highlight for me, plus the calendar was puny.

Hence why the photos are super sneaky crappy mobile pics for you guys. :rolleyes: Enjoy!

I'n not an expert, but I think that Tomcat is from the "Jolly Rogers", a pretty famous squadron actually. They even shoot down some Zeros in the 1980 science fiction movie "The Final Countdown", tho' I'm not sure if they've seen any action besides that :p

It's the same skull design of the "Skull Leader" from Macross, so it's safe to say that Kawamori drew some inspiration from the plane AND the markings.

yeah, the squadron is the VF-103 Jolly Rogers (Now VFA-103 since they converted to the Super Hornet).

That picture was taken on their 2003 mediterranian cruise, I believe the two MiG-21s are croatian, but I cannot remember for certain.