2001 Nights anime?

bobman

Anyone paying attention to manga in the early 90's certainly remembers this hard-SF title by Yukinobu Hoshino. It was one of Viz's few publications back in the day, and they were collected into TPB's that are probably still available on the shelf in most big bookseller chains.

I remember that in one of the issues, there was a commentary that included a throwaway line that the series was adapted into an OVA series.

Is this true? I've spent several long nights with google, and I've found nothing. Does an anime of this amazing manga exist?

Anyone paying attention to manga in the early 90's certainly remembers this hard-SF title by Yukinobu Hoshino.  It was one of Viz's few publications back in the day, and they were collected into TPB's that are probably still available on the shelf in most big bookseller chains.

I remember that in one of the issues, there was a commentary that included a throwaway line that the series was adapted into an OVA series. 

Is this true?  I've spent several long nights with google, and I've found nothing.  Does an anime of this amazing manga exist?

344478[/snapback]

It was a single 60min. OVA, apparently concentrating on the Robinson family storyline: http://www.tms-e.com/library/old/ova/data/m_2001.html

Wow.  Thanks, ly000001.  Any idea where I can snag a copy on VHS, LD, or DVD??

344521[/snapback]

Not off-hand, sorry. It's not on DVD or video at amazon.co.jp, and the last time I saw it for sale anywhere was back in '92, in a Laser Perceptions catalog.

Since TMS listed it in their "old" library, it's probably out of print, so you'll need to find it for sale second-hand.

I really wished I picked up a copy of the manga back when I first read it. The hard SF approach was great and it actually tackled time dilation, alien environments, and other great concepts that regular SF just glazes over or lazily invent solutions for.

Anyone know where I can find the manga TPBs?

Also, didn't the story span like thousands of years as man reached out into deep space? I never got to read past the first few issues, can someone enlighten me on what goes on in the story (although I have heard that it is really an anthology of stories)?

I really wished I picked up a copy of the manga back when I first read it.  The hard SF approach was great and it actually tackled time dilation, alien environments, and other great concepts that regular SF just glazes over or lazily invent solutions for.

Also, didn't the story span like thousands of years as man reached out into deep space?  I never got to read past the first few issues, can someone enlighten me on what goes on in the story (although I have heard that it is really an anthology of stories)?

344648[/snapback]

IIRC, it didn't span thousands of years, but it did span several generations. It's an anthology of stories that trace humanity's advancement (and evolution) in space, but as alluded to in an earlier post, there's a running storyline, the different generations of the Robinson family, that gets revisited a few times over the course of the manga.

I really wished I picked up a copy of the manga back when I first read it.  The hard SF approach was great and it actually tackled time dilation, alien environments, and other great concepts that regular SF just glazes over or lazily invent solutions for.

Well, it seems to me, 2001 Nights was always readily available, especially throughout the 90's. You might get lucky at Barnes & Noble or Borders. You also might strike gold at a decent, local comic store (I bought all 3 TPB's a few months back at my local store). Worst case, you can order via Amazon, and you can probably find people selling used copies for even cheaper.

I can't recommend the entire series enough. Individually, the stories are great. But when you read the whole thing, a grand tapestry emerges. Great stuff.