Tetsujin 28 questions

I just finished the Tetsujin 28 anime remake.Whean was that made?Was that the Gigantor remake that broadcasted on sci-fi channel?And when is the live-action movie coming out?Sadly I missed it at Otakon.And any background info on the creator Yokohama and his influence on anime and such.I know he also created Giant Robo which was the basis for Johnny Socko and the recent anime.

The "remake" is from last year, 2004. It's not really a remake in the traditional sense, though. Unlike the previous two Tetsujin tv series, this one apparently follows the original manga story.

As for Mitsuteru Yokoyama's influence on anime, it's pretty apparent. He basically created the giant robot genre of anime with works such as Tetsujin 28 and Giant Robo. Young boy inheriting his father's giant robot? That's a Mitsuteru Yokoyama plot.

Another tidbit for you, the new Tetsujin 28 tv series, and the recent (mid-90's) Giant Robo OVA shared the same director. Yasuhiro Imagawa originally approached Yokoyama with the intent of doing a Tetsujin 28 OVA in the 90's. Yokoyama didn't want to just hand over his favoured creation, though, and so he gave him Giant Robo to see what he would do. Apparently he was pleased enough to have him do the Tetsujin tv series.

As for the movie...umm...well...I didn't miss it at Otakon. Unfortunately it wasn't....good. Instead it was pretty terrible. So...yeah.

Live action already came out in Japan. Not sure if or when there's supposed to be a US release.

As to Yokoyama's influence, it's huge as Radd says (though he was technically in manga, not anime). Not only did he create the giant robot genre, but he also invented the magical girl genre. His titles include God Mars and Babel III as well as famous manga versions of Outlaws of the Marsh and Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Not only did he create the giant robot genre, but he also invented the magical girl genre.

343417[/snapback]

True! I almost forgot about Sunny the Magician (who makes an appearance in Giant Robo).

Little tidbit about Sunny the Magician. When the series was opted for an anime, she was renamed as 'Sally the Magician' because of the influence of a growing electronics company in Japan. It seems they thought her name was a little too close to their company name.