Official Gundam Seed Destiny Thread

Anubis

What? I'm in the minority again?

Yes, Destiny wasn't perfect, but it still didn't prevent me from liking it. Sure, it could have been better, but it also could have gone, much, much worse.

333393[/snapback]

Exactly how it could be any worse I could not even begin to fathom. How does a stinking pile of crap get any stinkier? There is no coming back from that. Now there are people that like Macross 7 and I'm not one of them, but I'll say this, to compare GSD to Macross 7 is a low blow to Basara.

Exactly how it could be any worse I could not even begin to fathom.  How does a stinking pile of crap get any stinkier?  There is no coming back from that.  Now there are people that like Macross 7 and I'm not one of them, but I'll say this, to compare GSD to Macross 7 is a low blow to Basara.

333421[/snapback]

I rather deal with Destiny's cast than that full of himself jackass.

What? I'm in the minority again?

Yes, Destiny wasn't perfect, but it still didn't prevent me from liking it. Sure, it could have been better, but it also could have gone, much, much worse.

333393[/snapback]

The only problem I had with it was the writting (granted, it is a substantial part of the series). I didn't have any real problem with the rest of it as the series progressed. Although, I really walked into the series without expectations. This is Gundam for pete's sake. If SEED 3 happens, Okawara and Fukada can stay. Morosawa...she's got to go. She's just a bad influence. She should stay away from her husband's work, period.

My main complaints with Destiny are: -

1) The insane amount of recap eps. I don't know what the actual total is, but it feels like about 1 out of every 4 eps is a recap episode.

2) the shift of emphasis from Destiny characters to original Seed characters.

Just like azrael, I started watching this series without much expectation, not being a huge Gundam fan. I was pleasantly suprised by the show in it's early stages, but it just seems to have lost it's way and I've mostly lost interest.

Graham

Exactly how it could be any worse I could not even begin to fathom.  How does a stinking pile of crap get any stinkier?  There is no coming back from that.  Now there are people that like Macross 7 and I'm not one of them, but I'll say this, to compare GSD to Macross 7 is a low blow to Basara.

333421[/snapback]

I rather deal with Destiny's cast than that full of himself jackass.

333423[/snapback]

They still took what started as a kickass show in the beginning and ended with a complete train wreck. There's no other way to describe it. When they decided to override the direction the show started in and swithced the focus to the AA crew (and so crappily so), they basically took the show's potential and spit on it.

I was an apologist for this show, and tried really hard to love it finding the good out of the questionable (despite the hatred of the AA crew this show gave me), but the last 10 episodes were a pure crapfest.

Edited by Anubis

Well, what can you say, it's over. I haven't even watched the last episode yet, and I'll get around to it at some point, but given how much was left undone, well I didn't have any high expectations.

The whole seed series, GS and GSD is like a big triangle wave. GS started off poorly, but by mid series, it started to develop its own characteristics that deviated in a good way from he original gundam series. Then it ended pretty well, a bit fast, but nice flow. GSD did a good job in the first ten episode or so setting up for a good story. Then, it went to hell.

Recap episode after recap episode, old characters coming back and making all the new characters take a back seat, etc, etc. There is a lot of things that can be blamed for the way this show ended up, from Fukuda's apparently urgent desire to put his political anti-US message into the show to the endless reuse of animation, (i.e. blow up a few mobile suits, insert Legend/Providence/Akatsuki) to the urgent desire to pull in all the old characters to supplant the new ones (to do what? boost ratings?).

Character wise, they had a bunch of interesting characters, but they had to pull in the old characters, and given their popularity, predictably they dominated the show. Lacus is cute, but dead Lacus would work, so would dead Cagalli, dead Andy, Mwu should've stayed dead, etc, etc. Dullindal went from possible diabolical genius (Scirroco without piloting skills) to a boob. Shinn had no character development, to sum him up in one word: ANGRY. Rey is... well, the best thing you can say about Rey is that he is dead. I cared more when the old druggies got capped than the death of any of the three new druggies, couldn't care less. Rey died? Who the hell is Rey again?

I suppose I might have had too high an expectation of the show. I was hoping for a good storyline, it started off well, and in the end, the show became the Athrun/Kira gayfest. Hell, all the backslapping of the mutual admiration society, they should've had Athrun kiss Kira and profess his undying love or something.

I think at this point, they shouldn't do another series in Seed. Overall, GSD is not the shining example of what Gundam series ought to be. Compelling story coupled with interesting characters, and and of course, lots of MS action.

The show could have and should have been better than this, they were doing fine in the beginning till that recap crap went into effect.

Fukuda and Okawara need to apologize to the fans and step down from working on any potential Gundam series and let Tomino back into the spot light.

Just about every Gundam show he's done had a great success rating and has a huge amount of fans in the process.  We can diffenetly see that in the Zeta movies being sold out when tickets go up.

333381[/snapback]

You'll also notice that Tomino's Gundam series never had the need for a recap episode.

don't worry luna's ok,, pretty much everyones OK..

just Gilbert, Talia and Rey that went Boom because they choose to.

But then they could still be alive if the new director of SEED 3 want's them to.

Now that GSD is over, I guess I'll be watching FMP SR. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really check it out. it's on ep 10 now and is getting really intresting.

WTF? I read for another forum that Kira shot the Dragoons of Rey's MS! :o

What's he gonna do next shoot an MS until only the pilot and his linear seat are the only piece of the MS remaining? <_<

You know this series is really loaded with KIRAfeats. :ph34r:

They can't kill anyone popular, luna is probably popular enough.

333445[/snapback]

On the monthly top 30 popularity charts for female Gundam characters, she always places 2nd or 3rd place (scroll down the Gunota page for details).

Graham

333448[/snapback]

Scrolled down at the bottom of the page and i was shocked to find under Top 30 MS that 5 of of the top ten are from GS or GSD!!! :blink:

Edited by grss1982

don't worry luna's ok,, pretty much everyones OK..

just Gilbert, Talia and Rey that went Boom because they choose to.

But then they could still be alive if the new director of SEED 3 want's them to.

Now that GSD is over, I guess I'll be watching FMP SR.  If you haven't seen it yet, you should really check it out.  it's on ep 10 now and is getting really intresting.

333460[/snapback]

I still feel it sucks real bad, all the time spent on developing the relationships between characters went with not much closure at all - namely Athrun and Cagalli, did it ended and why does it have to? So much time was spent in Seed to develop their relationship, and seemed to be pretty firm in GSD up to the last few episode, I don't get it.

The reason I watch Gundam at all is the character development has always been strong in most of the past series, mecha was secondary after I turned 15 years olds. And that why I like Macross to start with back 20 years ago. Plus the model kits are way cooler than everything else. :p

** off topic **

Anyway, I been watching FMP TSR also. So far it's following the novel more or less, I do prefer the novel a bit more since the character development is deeper. However, since I can't read Japanse, and there is not English nor Chiness translation on most of the FMP novel, I'll just have to wait for the nice people at Boku-Tachi for the next installment.

Too bad TSR is only 13 episodes long - as I know of. There should be about three or so more novel after TSR. It took 4 years for TSR to come out after the first series. I don't know if I can wait that long to see the series ends.

So does Luna die by the end or not?

Graham

333441[/snapback]

She lives, but Shinn went even lower, tried to kill her, damn he soooooo deserved to die horribly... little bastard gets to live... :o

Now that GSD is over, I guess I'll be watching FMP SR.  If you haven't seen it yet, you should really check it out.  it's on ep 10 now and is getting really intresting.

333460[/snapback]

Totally, that, Eureka Seven or Gun Sword. It's hard for me to choose so I'm watching them all. :D

I think that Seond raid is much darker then the first series, espcially that bit on the rooftop in ep 9, ..ouch. :blink:

But there's a whole thread on that show allready here somewhere...

333460[/snapback]

Totally, that, Eureka Seven or Gun Sword. It's hard for me to choose so I'm watching them all. :D

I think that Seond raid is much darker then the first series, espcially that bit on the rooftop in ep 9, ..ouch. :blink:

But there's a whole thread on that show allready here somewhere...

333641[/snapback]

FMP gets darker towards the end, but its pretty sure the ending will not suck.

First is no Macross, than GSD sucks, somebody better come up with something to fill the gap.

I think the ending of M7 might actually better than GSD!?

Man I just don't get it. Episode 1 was so good & made Sword Impulse look so godly ~almost~ it was pathetic. It moved at a good pace & actually developed a good plot which just about lasted for 10 good episodes. Then I look at how fast & stupid eps 50 was & I'm left with a big ~WTF~. Those 2 episodes by themselves were worlds apart when it came to pace & content. The only thing that was similar was the GD amount of talking. I expected a ton of talking in eps 1 & it came to pass but when you still need a ton of yack in the final eps just to explain WTH is going on then you know something's very wrong. Geez, I wish they would have just wrote the damn show first & then filled in the details. Even ZZ was better than that junk & that series was suppose to be comic relief for Zeta :rolleyes:

I finally saw ep 50.  Oh my God... is it just me, or did the animation even suck compared to previous episodes?

333771[/snapback]

That would be the despair of watching reused footage and recap footage in the middle of the finale.

Isn't that the truth. I actually liked the mecha designs for Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, Destiny, Saviour, and Akatsuki, moreso than any other design since the UC suits. They were so wasted in such a terrible story. With the ZZ Gundam, I hated that design so much that it didn't matter to me it was in a crappy series.

Apparently the new school of anime creators failed to pay attention in class regarding closing out a story in a decent manner. Lots of anime in the past decade had crap endings. Now its almost expected. Escaflowne had a great ending in comparison to the crap out now even in its rushed state. Macross had such an elegant ending in comparison and thats not biased Macross fanboy rambling. Turn A and Victory had decent endings with good closure.

Edited by Seven

But damn, it's a shame about the story....the mecha were so good. <_< Wasted designs man....especially IJ...:angry:

333810[/snapback]

Let's not kid ourselves, most of the mech designs were rip offs of the old UC. SF and IJ were just jokes, I mean, can you honestly look at one scene with IJ and tell that it's different from the original Justice? I doubt it. Same with SF when its docked with METEOR most of the time.

To me, if they want to do a third series, it's fine. We can have one of two scenarios.

Scenario I: Evil queen Lacus with her nasty enforcers, Athrun and Kira. Along with their fanatical followers: Dom trio plus the Murasame boys. And of course, their incredibly gay fence hopping lapdogs: Yzak and Deakka. With this, we can milk them for what little worth they have, and in the end, they can hopefully all die horribly ala some of the losers in Windams (oh, wasn't that supposed to be a good suit at some point... someone remind me).

Scenario II: Opening sequence of third GS series, Lacus, Kira, Cagalli, Athrun, they all get killed with a bomb, I mean pink hair, green eye balls, red haros, all of the supporting evidence of the lucky charms cereal that the original cast died a pointless and painful death (i.e. to illustrate the fact that GSD was so badly written that all the main characters that botched it up die in a ritual seppuku) Then focus in on someone new... no Shinn, no Luna, no Mwu, just a brand new cast.

But damn, it's a shame about the story....the mecha were so good. <_< Wasted designs man....especially IJ...:angry:

333810[/snapback]

Let's not kid ourselves, most of the mech designs were rip offs of the old UC. SF and IJ were just jokes, I mean, can you honestly look at one scene with IJ and tell that it's different from the original Justice? I doubt it. Same with SF when its docked with METEOR most of the time.

Is it really ripping off when its really Okawara just rehashing his same designs and being lazy overall? Can he really be ripping himself off?

Actually, he probably owes an apology to Yutaka Izubuchi for ripping off Nu Gundam. I think that the Akatsuki is sufficiently different from the Hyaku Shiki that he doesn't owe an apology to Mamoru Nagano.

333810[/snapback]

To me, if they want to do a third series, it's fine. We can have one of two scenarios.

Scenario I: Evil queen Lacus with her nasty enforcers, Athrun and Kira. Along with their fanatical followers: Dom trio plus the Murasame boys. And of course, their incredibly gay fence hopping lapdogs: Yzak and Deakka. With this, we can milk them for what little worth they have, and in the end, they can hopefully all die horribly ala some of the losers in Windams (oh, wasn't that supposed to be a good suit at some point... someone remind me).

Scenario II: Opening sequence of third GS series, Lacus, Kira, Cagalli, Athrun, they all get killed with a bomb, I mean pink hair, green eye balls, red haros, all of the supporting evidence of the lucky charms cereal that the original cast died a pointless and painful death (i.e. to illustrate the fact that GSD was so badly written that all the main characters that botched it up die in a ritual seppuku) Then focus in on someone new... no Shinn, no Luna, no Mwu, just a brand new cast.

333813[/snapback]

Don't care, most of them have been refined for sure, and I like the designs and animation better. I have never seen UC anyway.

Man, what a waste.

The IJ was different from the original Justice. IJ is more deadly at short range. Sure they are just upgrades, but it was better overall. Loved the scene where I. Justice just kickboxes limbs off Destiny and Impulse.

But man, just saw the last episode.....so rushed.....what a waste....

Edited by kensei

I'm sure they are equally pissed off if not more so.

I haven't seen one satisfied customer for 50 either. I peeked in Animesuki out of curiosity. There's something like 7 complaint threads in addition to the main ep. 50 discussion.

Three of my biggest complaints of the "finale":

1:

The disappearance of Shinn's piloting skills. Merely to save time, they have him block Athrun's beam sabers with his palms? On the other side of his hands are BEAM SHIELDS, which would have worked a lot better, then he could have palmed Athrun in the gut. Also, while this was going on, Luna still had her beam rifle, and could have used it left handed.

2:

Kira took out Legend's funnels without losing any? BS. Also note when Kira unloads on Legend, the two big Dragoons are still on Legend's back. Later Rey did what? Despite all of Rey's talk to Shinn the writers made him crack after listening to Kira's crap for 2 minutes.

3:

Messiah was covered in Beam Shields, apparently lowered them to fire the Genesis, but they somehow never came back on...

A convenient BS way to allow Kira to tear the place apart. Genesis also wasn't phase shifted or beam protected this time either because the emitter was destroyed by missles. Never mind too that this thing was basically a moving A Boa Qu with a superlaser built in. It was an ASTEROID. Yet it explodes and crashes into the Moon's surface.

One more, back to 49:

4:

Akatsuki took a shot in the gut from an ANTI-MATTER cannon and lived. Anti-beam coating or not. An Anti-matter cannon which already nearly destoyed the AA once, and also was used early on to shatter a huge section of Junius 7 into much tinier fragments. Akatsuki was already shown to have weaknesses when Shinn started carving it up at the unprotected joints, which should have spelled doom for Mwu. If he used the Dragoon Shield then to block the shot I could have accepted that, but he took the shot in the GUT.

In retrospect, Mwu honestly should have stayed dead. It would have saved a lot of damn time too. Since Dragoons are now able to be used by anyone supposedly, they could have given Andy the Akatsuki and left Gaia in a warehouse, since Red Gaia was only used once anyway. Another waste. If there wasn't space to include the story elements they wanted to do with Mwu they should have left him dead and used the time spent elsewhere. The whole war criminal-instantly welcomed back annoys me too.

Pure crap. This really is one of the worst ends I have seen to an anime series. This actually displaced my precious #1 ending mort: BGC2040, another show I loved at first and then degenerated.

Even the Ending credits were another fracking recap. No closure whatsoever. I'm temped to cancel the HCM Pro Strike Freedom I preordered weeks ago in protest.

This ending also feels like one of those shows that gets cut off at the ep. 13 cliffhanger and never picked up again. Just left hanging. That's what they did here.

I seriously didn't expect Destiny to piss me off like this. I need to purify myself with more Zeta (I'm at ep. 24 now)

Edited by Anubis

I seriously didn't expect Destiny to piss me off like this.  I need to purify myself with more Zeta (I'm at ep. 24 now)

333869[/snapback]

Good choice of medicine, I'm at 40 and things sure pick up. And I at least know I'm not getting 2 recaps and a rushed ending in any of the remaining 10 episodes.

My mind can take most of the Mwu thing. They screwed one of the greatest deaths in fiction history (at least IMO), but fiction means nothing is truly dead. What pisses me of is that they revive him for nothing really special, just so you can get more Mwu. Didn’t they have a new cast to develop?

This writing the series as it goes sure sucks. Hope the next Gundam has a manga with a plot behind it first (at least if Fukada does it).