Official Gundam Seed Destiny Thread

Anubis

A bit OT, but does anybody know what happened to MAHQ?

I just wanted to check out their info on Destiny mecha, but the site seems to be down :( .

Graham

Happens occasionally. Maybe his site's updating or something. Should be back up soon.

One thing I find strange though, is why bother building the Sword Impulse Gundam, when it's swords and boomerangs are completely useless and can't even scratch the other mobile suits (not that I've seen so far). Surely when designing a new Mobile Suit, you would want it to have weapons that are actually capable of damaging other current MS?

Graham

as far as I know, both the sword strike and sword impulse have anti-ship swords. For anti MS meele the Aile Strike or Force Impulse beam sabers or knives are more effective.

Happens occasionally. Maybe his site's updating or something. Should be back up soon.

I think someone mentioned he's been having server problems lately. The site has been off and on since the beginning of the month.

as far as I know, both the sword strike and sword impulse have anti-ship swords. For anti MS meele the Aile Strike or Force Impulse beam sabers or knives are more effective.

Technically, yes. But the Sword parts are still effective for MS-melee combat (look at Sword Calamity).

Although they are called anti-ship swords, aren't they still technically beam sabers?

Yes, they are larger and heavier than a normal 'hilt only' type beam sabre, so will be less nimble to wield but the basic principle and technology should be the same AFAIK.

Graham

Actually, it's just Shinn's bad luck that he's fighting at distances (which the Sword pack is not built for). Also, when he was hitting Gaia and Chaos, he was hitting them with the blunt ends (non-beam parts) of the blade/boomerang. Oops.

Was Shin striking with the non-beam part of the sword? I'll have to watch the fight again more carefully. If he was, methinks the boy needs some more swordsmanship training :lol:

Or is he another one of these angsty anime teen pilots who are reluctant to kill?

Actually is Shin a military trained pilot or a civilian? At the begining of ep #1 he seems to be a refugee or something, but later on in ep# 1 he's already piloting the Sword Impulse. Presumably his back story will be filled in later?

Graham

Although they are called anti-ship swords, aren't they still technically beam sabers?

Yes, they are larger and heavier than a normal 'hilt only' type beam sabre, so will be less nimble to wield but the basic principle and technology should be the same AFAIK.

Graham

The problem seemed to be that Shin was hitting MS with the physical part of the sword/boomerang, and since the enemy gundams had phase(or was it transphase?) shift armor up he did no damage.

Against a ship that cant dodge the beam portion he would be able to inflict full damage. The Gundam seed MSV with the Sword Calamity showed what the swords were designed to do, shred ships.

And he was a civilian in the flashback in ep 1. and those events made him decide to join the military.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita

Ah, so Shin's already a military pilot by the time we see him fighting in ep # 1. That's good.

I think my sense of disbelief would be strained past breaking point if we had yet another Gundam anime where an angsty young teenage boy with no prior military training or experience finds himself through a series of unlikely circumstances piloting the latest Mobile Suit and kicking the asses of the best military pilots the enemy has to offer.

So who's going to be buying the Impulse GQ toys? I wasn't originally, but now I've seen some of the anime, the design of the Impulse is starting to grow on me.

Graham

For those considering buying the Impulse MSIA's, i'd wait for a month or so for the second or third generation of figures. I bought the Sword and Force Impulse as soon as they were available and they both have pretty crappy QC problems - bizarre for an MSIA actually. I think maybe Bandai was channeling Toynami during October :blink:

Ep. 6 was great. Nice to see Yzak, Athrun, and Dearka fight again. Yzak and Atrhun bickering was funny too. "I'm the commander now, Civilian!" :lol:

Yzak's a killa again. His Zaku Phanton is spiced up pretty nice with that Beam polearm and BEAM GATLINGS on his shoulders. Sweet.

Lunamaria and Stellar fought pretty evenly. Luna's Zaku lost a leg.

Thanks to Athrun and Yzak, Abyss and Chaos actually got lit up, while Shinn watched in awe. Abyss lost a leg, and Chaos lost both gunbarrels, it's shield, beam rifle, and maybe an arm (have to watch again).

Showing Kira and Lacus was a nice touch, sure enough at the orphanage still helping Markio with the kids. Hopefully their expanded roles come in soon.

Ep. 6 was great. Nice to see Yzak, Athrun, and Dearka fight again. Yzak and Atrhun bickering was funny too. "I'm the commander now, Civilian!" :lol:

Yzak's a killa again. His Zaku Phanton is spiced up pretty nice with that Beam polearm and BEAM GATLINGS on his shoulders. Sweet.

Lunamaria and Stellar fought pretty evenly. Luna's Zaku lost a leg.

Thanks to Athrun and Yzak, Abyss and Chaos actually got lit up, while Shinn watched in awe. Abyss lost a leg, and Chaos lost both gunbarrels, it's shield, beam rifle, and maybe an arm (have to watch again).

Showing Kira and Lacus was a nice touch, sure enough at the orphanage still helping Markio with the kids. Hopefully their expanded roles come in soon.

Yeah, watching Zakus slap around the Gundams was quite entertaining

For those considering buying the Impulse MSIA's, i'd wait for a month or so for the second or third generation of figures. I bought the Sword and Force Impulse as soon as they were available and they both have pretty crappy QC problems - bizarre for an MSIA actually. I think maybe Bandai was channeling Toynami during October :blink:

I actually wanted to buy the Sword & Force Impulse MSiAs yesterday, but couldn't find them, so I picked up the Blast (Blust?) Impulse MSiA instead. Happy to report no QC problems.

Graham

Ah, so Shin's already a military pilot by the time we see him fighting in ep # 1. That's good.

Shinn is quite fresh at the beginning of the series. In fact, his combat experience is next to nill. He's good enough on paper to be in the Special forces....But compared harden war vets like Athrun or Kira....the boy will get a serious whippin. In fact, in episode 6, he gets lesson #1, never get close to a suicidal GINN pilot.

At the begining of ep #1 he seems to be a refugee or something, but later on in ep# 1 he's already piloting the Sword Impulse. Presumably his back story will be filled in later?

I think we need to fill you in. That flashback on episode 1 took place 2 years ago on ORB. Shinn's family were citizens of ORB and they were making their way to the transport during the attack on ORB by the EA. Well, you saw the grusome details. After that, he joined ZAFT (for obvious reasons, he's a Coordinator) and was assigned to Minerva as the test pilot for Impulse.

Thanks to Athrun and Yzak, Abyss and Chaos actually got lit up, while Shinn watched in awe.

Just shows you how much of a newb Shinn is. Shinn can't even damage them while Yzak and Athrun send them home in pieces...in one battle.

edit: Oh yeah....Windam, EA's new mass-production suit. According to Gunota, it's got mission-specific weapons packs (Striker packs). Looks like a it's more of a space -MS than a all-environment MS.

windam.jpg

Edited by azrael

The Dagger L models have strike packs as well, though this new Windam is sure to have a good deal better performance.

Not sure what to make of it. The angles on it look pretty wierd but it's not bad really. I want to see it with it's packs. I like it's shield.

Of course the Zaku's will remain superior as always.

Ep. 6 was great.  Nice to see Yzak, Athrun, and Dearka fight again.  Yzak and Atrhun bickering was funny too.  "I'm the commander now, Civilian!"  :lol:

Yzak's a killa again.  His Zaku Phanton is spiced up pretty nice with that Beam polearm and BEAM GATLINGS on his shoulders.  Sweet.

Lunamaria and Stellar fought pretty evenly.  Luna's Zaku lost a leg.

Thanks to Athrun and Yzak, Abyss and Chaos actually got lit up, while Shinn watched in awe.  Abyss lost a leg, and Chaos lost both gunbarrels, it's shield, beam rifle, and maybe an arm (have to watch again).

Showing Kira and Lacus was a nice touch, sure enough at the orphanage still helping Markio with the kids.  Hopefully their expanded roles come in soon.

Yeah, watching Zakus slap around the Gundams was quite entertaining

That is such a good way to put it.

Watching Zakus lay the smaketh made my day actually.

Hey Graham, good to know that the Blast Impulse is alright (I ordered that and the Saviour....lol even with QC issues i'm a sucker for MSIA's :p)

The Windam looks really cool.....this is the type of mass-production suit I was expecting. Those lower legs are pretty funky - almost devil-like. It looks like the EA's version of the Zaku: above cannon-fodder, but not quite Gundam level.

....at least that's what I would have said before Ep.6 - seriously, are the 3 Gundams all depowered compared to their predecessors or what? They got their asses handed to them by Zakus! Oh the irony...

That actually sort of blows. I know pilot skill factors into it, but I mean, come on. What's the point of even making Gundams then if they aren't really all that much better? And shouldn't their phase armor have stopped them from getting limbs chopped off?

Edited by Magnus

And shouldn't their phase armor have stopped them from getting limbs chopped off?

Phase-shift is nothing to beam weapons.

The Windam won't show up until episode 9 (according to the text) so we won't know it's potential until then. It kinda reminds me of the Nero (MSA-007) from Gundam Sentinal.

Hey Graham, good to know that the Blast Impulse is alright (I ordered that and the Saviour....lol even with QC issues i'm a sucker for MSIA's :p)

The Windam looks really cool.....this is the type of mass-production suit I was expecting. Those lower legs are pretty funky - almost devil-like. It looks like the EA's version of the Zaku: above cannon-fodder, but not quite Gundam level.

....at least that's what I would have said before Ep.6 - seriously, are the 3 Gundams all depowered compared to their predecessors or what? They got their asses handed to them by Zakus! Oh the irony...

That actually sort of blows. I know pilot skill factors into it, but I mean, come on. What's the point of even making Gundams then if they aren't really all that much better? And shouldn't their phase armor have stopped them from getting limbs chopped off?

Remember who they were fighting in Ep. 6 though.

Having Athrun and Yzak tag team you is not a position you want to be in.

Yzak was hacking people up with that polearm by himself. It's easy to see that the Zaku Phantom is way better than the Duel, the only thing missing is phase shift, but again, with the advent of beam weapons, phase shift has lost some of it's usefulness. Likewise Dearka and Luna have all the capability of the Buster using the Gunner packs for the Zaku, and they don't have to combine guns to get full power.

It's actualy kind of nice to have a more level playing field. Yeah there are super-powered Gundams, but they can be brought down.

Its so sad when a supposed background mobile suit like the Windam has more style and innovation than Okawara's vaunted hero mobile suits like the Impulse, Abyss, or Chaos Gundams. Same thing happened last time with the Astrays looking much better than the Okawara frankenmechs.

For those considering buying the Impulse MSIA's, i'd wait for a month or so for the second or third generation of figures.  I bought the Sword and Force Impulse as soon as they  were available and they both have pretty crappy QC problems - bizarre for an MSIA actually.  I think maybe Bandai was channeling Toynami during October  :blink:

I actually wanted to buy the Sword & Force Impulse MSiAs yesterday, but couldn't find them, so I picked up the Blast (Blust?) Impulse MSiA instead. Happy to report no QC problems.

Graham

I posted a review of those pretties earlier, if you didn't see it the first time and want to see how nice the Force and Sword Impulses are. :D

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=11519

Finally a ep that shows Shin what real pilots can do, this should keep his mouth shut for awhile.

I love the conversation between Athrun and Yzak. :rolleyes:

Hearing Yzak shout "Kisama!" again sure makes my heart go fuzzy......but not in any yaoi kinda way. :lol:

Whoa, that Windam unit doesn't look too bad, kind of a looks like a cross between the GAT-01A1 and the Duel. Certainly looks a lot nicer than any of the current Gundams. Hell it looks better than all the other butt-@ss ugly looking Destiny suits. I'm guessing this guy is going to be what the Taurus was to Wing. Not quite Gundam status but definatly good enough to give one a hard time.

Let me guess "Windam" is also an acronym. Wonder what the W and I stand for if that is the case.

Is that some sort of rocket anchor on the sheild?

Edited by Druna Skass

Its so sad when a supposed background mobile suit like the Windam has more style and innovation than Okawara's vaunted hero mobile suits like the Impulse, Abyss, or Chaos Gundams.  Same thing happened last time with the Astrays looking much better than the Okawara frankenmechs.

I agree that the Impulse looks crap as Okawara draws it, but I feel it looks much better when you see it animated in the actual TV series or in toy or model form.

Graham

Its so sad when a supposed background mobile suit like the Windam has more style and innovation than Okawara's vaunted hero mobile suits like the Impulse, Abyss, or Chaos Gundams.  Same thing happened last time with the Astrays looking much better than the Okawara frankenmechs.

I agree that the Impulse looks crap as Okawara draws it, but I feel it looks much better when you see it animated in the actual TV series or in toy or model form.

Graham

I agree. In fact most of the lineart of gundam stuff look kinda bad.

Lunamaria Hawke is hot! Just a pity you know that as 2nd tier character, she will die a tragic and pointless death :( . Let's just hope we get some fan service before she dies :p .

Graham

Here you go.

post-26-1101275400_thumb.jpg

No where's that drooling smiley when you need it.

Graham

If anyone knew where the smiley went, it would be you. :lol:

*signing petition to bring back the drooling smiley*

I posted a review of those pretties earlier, if you didn't see it the first time and want to see how nice the Force and Sword Impulses are.  :D

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=11519

Thanks for posting the link to the review.

I picked up a Sword Impulse MSiA yesterday, but still couldn't find a Force Impulse anywhere as all the shops in HK had sold out, so I broke down and ordered one from HLJ.

Happy to report no real QC problems with either my Sword or Blast Impulse MSiA. The Blast Impulse has a bit of a balance broblem with those big guns and I wish the figures had more sideways ankle articulation, but those are my only gripes.

I'm quite impressed that Bandai has started using some screws on these toys. Overall I'm very happy with these toys (this from someone who swore he would never buy another MSiA again).

Can't wait for the Destiny ZAKU MSiA toys coming out next year, they look so nice. Hopefully, the GQ line will prove popular and we will see some GQ Destiny Zakus. That would be even nicer than MSiA.

Graham

While we're still on the topic of MSIAs.....these look wicked.

http://s05.imagehost.org/0190/newmsia.jpg

Those are pretty sweet for MSiA's. Wonder how the HG 1/144's will come out. The besic Zaku Warrior came out pretty good so far.

The MSiA's look good enough that I might get those though instead. :)

post-26-1101314334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

What irritates me about the newer Zaft pilots are their apparent lackadaisical or straight up disrespect for Athrun. Isn't Athrun an ace pilot with a reputation among Zaft like how Char was to Zeon? I remember if anyone saw Char, Zeon pilots would wet their pants in excitement. Same thing happened with Anavel Gato and other Zeon pilots. I would have expected Athrun to pimp slap the poo out of Lunamaria when she was poking fun at him and asking if he was going to turn tail and run right before they launched to stop the colony drop.