VF Girls

polidread

looking good Poli :)

I must admit I didn't like the colouring on the VF-2 girl, (I'm more of a fan of your cel-shaded style of colouring). Though I must say I absolutely love the way you coloured the VF-11 girl. The lineart for the VF-2 girl looks kickass though.

Edited by bake_art

I've finally learnt how to colour stuff efficiently in photoshop, and it is good  :ph34r:

anyway, here's a VF-19 girl in full colour.

Excelent work Bake Art.

Awesome as always guys! Hey I have been meaning to ask... what programs do you use for coloring your drawings? And are there any good tutorials on how to do it? Right now I have a slew of programs, and no clue on how to use them. Recently I just got Corel Draw Graphics Suite. But I also have Adobe Illustrator 10.0, Photoshop....

Which is the best to use? And the TUTORIALS.... :lol:

Rob

Guest Bromgrev

I'm still trying to figure out what CorelDraw can do that Photoshop can't ... if it weren't for these pesky behind-the-times employers and their outdated job requirements, I'd stick with Photoshop all the way.

And I'll repeat the call for tutorials - who knows where to find them?

Awesome as always guys!  Hey I have been meaning to ask... what programs do you use for coloring your drawings?  And are there any good tutorials on how to do it?  Right now I have a slew of programs, and no clue on how to use them.  Recently I just got Corel Draw Graphics Suite.  But I also have Adobe Illustrator 10.0, Photoshop....

Which is the best to use?  And the TUTORIALS.... :lol:

Rob

315112[/snapback]

I use photoshop too for my colouring.

One of the most important things I learned about photoshop is to use layers for colouring, and set each layer to 'darken'...

i say Adobe products work better in unison. (commonsense that products from the same company are more adapted to work with each other)

meaning, Illustrator and Photoshop work better in tandem rather than Coreldraw and Photoshop or some other mix.

i use Illustrator and Photoshop at work and the interface is nearly the same, so you'd have less time to get confused when working to and fro.

How i colored the VFII girl:

1.scan

2.cleanup the lineart

3.make color layers (i set my layers to Multiply) using the selection tools to specify particular areas with the same color

4.use the paintbucket tool to fill in the selected areas

5.after completing the entire color scheme, i use the Burn tool to make shades and shadows

6. to recreate that dotted coloring, use the Halftone filter on your color layers.

7.and then post your finished art for your friends to enjoy. :)

finally, as the names suggest, Adobe Illustrator is for creating vector image illustrations, and Adobe Photoshop is for editing (cropping, coloring, re-coloring etc) existing images (like pictures, or the artwork youve made in Illustrator)

yes, some of the things you can do in Photoshop overlap with some of the things in Illustrator, and vice versa, but there's plenty more things you can do with the full vector output of Illustrator, and the filters in Photoshop look and work much better for pixel images.

gosh, i dont want to sound like an Adobe salesman.

but id love to try out Corel Painter, and havent had the chance to use it with a wacom pen tho.

and all this time im still coloring with a mouse :p

i say Adobe products work better in unison. (commonsense that products from the same company are more adapted to work with each other)

meaning, Illustrator and Photoshop work better in tandem rather than Coreldraw and Photoshop or some other mix.

i use Illustrator and Photoshop at work and the interface is nearly the same, so you'd have less time to get confused when working to and fro.

How i colored the VFII girl:

1.scan

2.cleanup the lineart

3.make color layers (i set my layers to Multiply) using the selection tools to specify particular areas with the same color

4.use the paintbucket tool to fill in the selected areas

5.after completing the entire color scheme, i use the Burn tool to make shades and shadows

6. to recreate that dotted coloring, use the Halftone filter on your color layers.

7.and then post your finished art for your friends to enjoy. :)

finally, as the names suggest, Adobe Illustrator is for creating vector image illustrations, and Adobe Photoshop is for editing (cropping, coloring, re-coloring etc) existing images (like pictures, or the artwork youve made in Illustrator)

315547[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips Poli, I'll give your method a shot for my next drawing (I always liked the soft air-brushed look of your drawings).

I pretty much follow the same approach as you, but I set my colour layers to darken instead of multiply instead. Also for the create a new layer for each shade and shadow (so I can make changes more easily)

yes, some of the things you can do in Photoshop overlap with some of the things in Illustrator, and vice versa, but there's plenty more things you can do with the full vector output of Illustrator, and the filters in Photoshop look and work much better for pixel images.

gosh, i dont want to sound like an Adobe salesman.

but id love to try out Corel Painter, and havent had the chance to use it with a wacom pen tho.

and all this time im still coloring with a mouse :p

315711[/snapback]

Jeez... I can't believe you've managed to colour your drawings so well with only a mouse :o

Get a tablet dude, it's expensive as heck, but it seriously cuts down the time it takes to digitally colour images.

I use a mouse, i believe even TWDC still uses one too.

With my shaky hands and butter fingers i think i could use a tablet :o

315906[/snapback]

Eh... back and forth. My wife got me a Wacom tablem for Christmas but I honestly haven't had time to use it much, at least for actual "art" (although I have been using it a bunch for my patent drafting, though). Hell- I haven't been drawing that much either. Better get my arse back at the drawing board, eh?

...you can always tell when an American artist is trying to draw japanese!

correction: you can always tell when a wannabe manga/anime artist TRIES to draw mecha/anime characters.

correction: you can always tell when a wannabe manga/anime artist TRIES to draw mecha/anime characters.

So basically what you are saying is that in order for a person to draw mecha / anime correctly / accurately / or with relative talent they must be Japanese? :huh: That is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. :rolleyes: All of the artists who contribute to the Valk-Girl Thread are very talented. Oh and BTW there are plenty on non-japanese manga artists here in Japan contributing to the manga books / comics and animation. ;)

Rob

So basically what you are saying is that in order for a person to draw mecha / anime correctly / accurately / or with relative talent they must be Japanese? :huh: That is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. :rolleyes: All of the artists who contribute to the Valk-Girl Thread are very talented. Oh and BTW there are plenty on non-japanese manga artists here in Japan contributing to the manga books / comics and animation. ;)

Rob

317060[/snapback]

Yeah, you really can't argue with that.

317033[/snapback]

So what do you define as "wannabe"? Someone who doesn't actually draw for a published Japanese manga or professional anime studio? Or someone who's work doesn't match the style and quality of what you would subjectively consider "real" manga and anime?

But then that's like saying you can always tell if someone doesn't draw quite as well and as professionally as the professionals who've made it. Or that some drawings just aren't as up to par stylistically as others in your eyes. You can tell when something isn't up to your expectations? Wow, that's profound. And to that we would say, err... thank you Captain Obvious! :D

I would probably have agreed in part with your original statement. Western artists copying anime's style often miss the mark and produce something that's still recognizably Western. But your backpeddling here in an attempt to keep your original assertion relevant has rendered your new statement meaningless-- except as one expressing generic derision towards all amateur fan artists themselves.

-Al