Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1J Battroid

rarityraider

Wow! You are very good! The two lights on the legs are off I think. One should be red and one blue. Otherwise, I think you've got some really freaking good skills.

Also, since you also live in HK like I do, can I ask you how your paint setup is? Airbrush? Paint outside? Paint Booth? Spray Cans?

Oh it's definately painted, otherwise you'd see all the seams that our good friend went to the trouble of filling and sanding smooth. Besides no self respecting modeller would leave that much plain plastic showing.

Edited by Grayson72

i agree it's definitely painted. I got the same kit and the bare plastic is unlookable. You definitely need to paint this kit to get any sort of respectable look. This is not like MG Bandai Gundam kits where you can just throw the plastic and stickers together and get a very good look.

Thanks for the great pics of your model! :D

This is a great job! You should be proud of this model.

I don't think you need to be self-conscious about your work.

We can all stand to improve our skills, and yours are already very good.

I do see a couple of decals (on the arms) that look like they need to lay down better, and the landing lights on the legs may be wrong (picky). :p

I like this model alot and the most important thing is that you have fun building it and looking at it now. You are having fun with your hobby aren't you?!?

Keep up the good work and please post more examples of your work! :)

I forgot to ask in my first post.

How did you do the panel lines?

I like the way they are subtle and don't stand out by being very dark black.

Wow! You are very good! The two lights on the legs are off I think. One should be red and one blue. Otherwise, I think you've got some really freaking good skills.

Also, since you also live in HK like I do, can I ask you how your paint setup is? Airbrush? Paint outside? Paint Booth? Spray Cans?

Hello Neova,

You're a guy definitely know HK situation, most of the people's homes are not suitable to do spray works... So let me explain how is I do.

I use an airbrush with a pump and doing spray work into my bathroom with a open wide window (Luckily my flat have two bathrooms otherwise my family members would go crazy when everytime I've start to work).

Usually, I'll stick the model parts very well with a wooden rods (actually, they're chopsticks gets from the fast food shop) and then I hold them OUT of the window to spray. That's the best way I'd find to prevent the toxic smell stay at home. Maybe you'll ask if I drop out the model by accident how can I get it back? Don't worry, I'm living in the first floor and I can climb out to the "balcony" to get it back, sometimes I need to do the way like Spiderman.

Cheers,

Edited by rarityraider

i agree it's definitely painted. I got the same kit and the bare plastic is unlookable. You definitely need to paint this kit to get any sort of respectable look. This is not like MG Bandai Gundam kits where you can just throw the plastic and stickers together and get a very good look.

Hi JLCY,

I 100% agreed your opinions, Hasegawa models are not user friendly than Bandai models (at least they don't have color separated parts). Bandai is quite fit to some model starters or if they don't want to spend to much time on the models but they still can have a not bad result to display. Hasegawa model is really a model for expert, its cannot do the way by just "joint and paints" its needs all the modelling steps: cut out and paint some inner parts before to joint, add putty, sanding the seams, do masking for spray.... so many things I'needs to pick up that's Bandai model never needs.

Just share my opinion.

Cheers,

Edited by rarityraider

I forgot to ask in my first post.

How did you do the panel lines?

I like the way they are subtle and don't stand out by being very dark black.

Hi jardann,

I use Gunze oil base color for all my model painting works, I like to spary the whole model with that brand of color then do washing by Tamiya enamel color.

If you don't want the panel lines being too dark black, just thin it down a little with the thinner or I can suggest XF-20 or XF-52 to instead of X1, they are also a good choices for washing/weathering.

Cheers,

Finally some photos of  close-up on a hasegawa battroid, awesome :o

Have you painted it white or is just the plastic's white?

Hi Ido,

Yes, I painted it white by can and spray flat base on top after decalling also.

BTW, thanks for your praise of my work.

Edited by rarityraider

Yeah, there are some issues but I think it looks nice. The most distracting to me is the red stripe on the chest - you can see where the decal sits on top of all the panel lines, and where there isn't a wash there... I think it's a good idea to mask and paint simple stripes like that when possible. And I saw the seam on the forearm that Stamen caught. But like I said, looks nice.

Yeah, there are some issues but I think it looks nice.  The most distracting to me is the red stripe on the chest - you can see where the decal sits on top of all the panel lines, and where there isn't a wash there...  I think it's a good idea to mask and paint simple stripes like that when possible.  And I saw the seam on the forearm that Stamen caught.  But like I said, looks nice.

Yes, that is all the defects I said and you and Stamen found out :p

I used to do washing on the red stripe on the chest but it's not work very well. Since that part were given in red color and I spray white on it and then stamp the decal on the top, so that the surface with panel lines became very thick to do washing even though I put mask softer after. :(

Edited by rarityraider