Macross Zero Vol. 4

Adventure

Is anyone else totally losing interest in Macross Zero? I find that after watching episode one I was left saying "It will get better with the next episode". Now after seeing episode two I'm left saying the same thing, "Maybee it will get better in episode three"... The only thing keeping me watching M0 are to see the new designs that may become toys. All in all I find it to be a very poorly executed show. I would really like Kawamori to prove me wrong with future episodes because IMHO Macross has not had a "great" show since DYRL, everything since has been lukewarm at best.

I just hate the waiting. Why could they have been quite about it and just released the entire OVA together? :( You'd make around the same amount of money and you wouldn't actually put people off by making them wait so long, you wouldn't lose sales cause they(customers) would be buying the entire thing at once when compare to people not buying the later releases cause they didn't the earlier ones. You already have the go ahead to do the show, not like they are going to cancel it before you are finished.

Other then that I'm enjoying it. Though it would be nice if Claudia showed up. The needed love triangle. :D

Edited by Effect

Is anyone else totally losing interest in Macross Zero? I find that after watching episode one I was left saying "It will get better with the next episode". Now after seeing episode two I'm left saying the same thing, "Maybee it will get better in episode three"... The only thing keeping me watching M0 are to see the new designs that may become toys. All in all I find it to be a very poorly executed show. I would really like Kawamori to prove me wrong with future episodes because IMHO Macross has not had a "great" show since DYRL, everything since has been lukewarm at best.

Kinda of "eh" attitude for me. I actually liked episode 1 more than 2. Its no Macross Plus but at least it isn't Macross 7. I like Macross Zero but I'm not totally in love with it like some on MW.

Anyone else think that the animation doesn't mesh well? Its real obvious that these episodes were done months apart. The character designs....in some scenes are really ugly. When Roy and Shin are drinking a beer in episode 2 for example. The mech designs? eh ok I like the VF-0 in fighter and gerwalk mode, that's about it though.

Also the BGM music is subpar. It's just there. It doesn't add much to the feel of the show.

Don't forget Macross Zero is going to be 5 episodes altogether, so they might make us wait until 2005 for the final episode :p 

Graham

Hey.,... took Bandai 1 year to release the last episode of 08th MS team... who knows what they will do this time around? :lol:

Thats easy to explain.... ppl should have waited untill they had the whole OVA in their hands before watching. The way it is now.... ppl can't help but to judge it based on the available episodes simply because they lack better things to do. <_<

But then again... it would have taken them far longer to keep the quality of the OVA up and release all episodes together. I guess they sacrificed having the whole OVA ready to keep the good quality. :)

Edited by Abombz!!

I will admit that the drawn out release schedule is definately hurting the show in my eyes... but then again so is it's hurky-jerky nebulous plot, it just feels like it was written by someone with ADD. Their plot choices are far too ambitious for a simple 5 episode OAV and you can already see signs of "rush rush" character introduction and development.

I will most likely reserve my final verdict until I see the whole thing but to be honest I'm not really "into" what I'm seeing... it has just failed to "grab" me like the original did in the first episode, or like the first episodes of Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Inu Yasha or others.

Macross Zero is just lacking that "something"... we'll see if it gains it in the next three parts...

I will admit that the drawn out release schedule is definately hurting the show in my eyes... but then again so is it's hurky-jerky nebulous plot, it just feels like it was written by someone with ADD. Their plot choices are far too ambitious for a simple 5 episode OAV and you can already see signs of "rush rush" character introduction and development.

I will most likely reserve my final verdict until I see the whole thing but to be honest I'm not really "into" what I'm seeing... it has just failed to "grab" me like the original did in the first episode, or like the first episodes of Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Inu Yasha or others.

Macross Zero is just lacking that "something"... we'll see if it gains it in the next three parts...

yeah it is lacking something , you what ? proper plot development , you know why ? cause there´s only 2 damn episodes available , how the heck do people expect to get involved in the story if it hasn´t been told yet :( ?

We´ve pass through all this before with M+ and now it´s one of the best Macross series to date , it´s not appropiate to blame the production team or the OVA if people are not used to the OVA format and it´s tendency to be slowly released , specially with series with proper budgets.

all OVAs are ¨rush rush¨ in regards to character introductions , they don´t have the time TV series enjoy for introduction purposes , they are unable to extend beyond the scheduled 5 episodes so that fanboys can get to know the most tiniest of details about the characters and whatnot. In the Macross Plus OVAs Isamu´s character was introduced fairly fast after the roguh Zentradi scene , he didn´t evolve at all during the series and yet he was great , Shin in the other hand has evolved much more in just 2 episodes and we´ve come to see various aspects of his person , Focker is one of the most interesting characters in the whole OVA , this time showing a more , let´s say , sober side of him and with that we´re starting to see part of this veteran´s past.

The music aspect of the OVAs are certainly less dynamic than other Macross productions but at least is not overly J-pop like M7 and some of the tunes are quite enjoyable.

by the way why does shin get a special blue vf?

he dont look so speical and his "talent" for flying that thing just amazes me....

wahts up with the royal treatment

Cuz if he got olde browny or grey, he'd be dead by now.

yeah it is lacking something , you what ? proper plot development , you know why ? cause there´s only 2 damn episodes available , how the heck do people expect to get involved in the story if it hasn´t been told yet :( ?

Thanks for pointing that out. You just saved me the trouble and expense of buying and watching the rest of the set.

I think the reason why MS 08Th Team took forever to finish, was because one of the producers or some important guy working on that project died.

That show was one of my all time favourite though, it was worth the wait... though the ending wasn't... satisfiying enough :)

About Macross Zero... as fans, I think we should rejoice that a series with 20 years of history is still going... I know the wait sucks but I guess at the end it will be well worth it. I personally think that Macross Zero is really slowly paced - I think they're trying to introduce more characters and give them enough time to develop. You have to realize that Shin is probably the protagonist in this series, and at present, he is still getting used to piloting his valkyrie... just imagine he has to become this kickass pilot by the end of the series (well that is my assumption anyways) - you don't want it to happen overnight right? :)

I'm hoping that Vol. 3 will be the turning point, because if it is still slow paced, I think a lot of fans would drop out :)

I still remember waiting for Macross Plus when it was still being released as OVA... I was so excited back then because like now, there had not been any Macross project for the longest time...

So true fans - hang in there... hopefully we won't be disappointed at the end...

Imho MZ feels like the Macross' version of Gundam's OYW saga. As in both shows starts at the @$$ end of the war, but in MZ's case without giving hardly any insight who fired the first shot or action which started the war in the first place. MZ missed the opportunity to show the development of the variable fighters and the destroids, and the combat which gives incentive to replace the destroyed and damaged conventional weapons with the new tech.

I think so far it's pretty good. It's hard for me to say how it is compared to other Macross shows because it's incomplete. I will say this: The feeling I got when they showed the ASS-1 exploding, the shots of Shin as a kid, the prep and launching of his F-14, all seemed to have that "special" something. A perfect opener, IMO. The second episode doesn't have much of that, until the very end when Sara is singing. That created a sense of awe and got me wondering about how Macross treats the power of music. It's mystical from now on, and I like it.

The only part that ruined the power of music for me was how it could be measured or amplified with some electrical doohickey in M7.

I read a lot of negative press about M0 before I saw it, and, personally, I think it was totally unjustified.

M+ seemed to take forever between releases, and it wasn't until the third one came out that it REALLY had me wrapped around it's finger, dying for the one. It wasn't until the last quarter of M7 that I just HAD to know what happened next.

M0, on the other hand, grabbed me right from the beginning by showing just how useless a conventional plane would be against a variable fighter (or, technically, whatever SV stands for). By the end of Episode one, I really wanted to see the second one. Now I'm counting down the days for the third...

I´m really astonished as the the cynic approach people are now taking towards M0 , we wait years for a new series to come and we bitch about not getting any new stuff and that M7 was crap and all that sh*t , suddenly Kawamori anounces a new OVA series , every time a new episode is released everyone gets exited and starts especulating about this and that and after the episode is available everyone starts to praise how good and beautiful it was , then all of a sudden people start nitpicking for God knows what reason after they claimed to like the OVA , WTF ?

They don´t like the plot ... the OVAs are just starting for God´s sake !

They don´t like the characters development... Jesus , this is an OVA not a TV series.

They don´t like the mecha because they look too ¨advanced¨...what do you expect , Kawamori has passed through years of experience and experimentation with his style and now that´s how he like to design mechas , you can´t do anything to change that.

They don´t like the music ...yeah , it´s not as dynamic as M+ but at least we didn´t get M7 kinda music , would you´ve liked that instead ?

A few months ago I wouldn´t have epxected to see this kind of orthodox behaviour where the only good thing in Macross is the TV series , I´m not saying the contrary at all but Macross shouldn´t be just about SDF Macross , otherwise you wouldn´t be able to say you´ve enjoyed all of Macross.

It´s pretty clear by now that most people here want a TV series but we all know what happened when the last one came out and we all know there´s still many people who would´ve had something else , perhaps more serious and now that we get it people are somehow dissapointed it´s not a rehash of SDF macross.

The same happens with Macross toys , people are disconcerned about other non-SDF Macross Mechas and that´s understandable after almost 20 years of drought of macross toys, it´s all about the nostalgia factor and that´s why we see so many prequels and re-makes in Hollywood , but you know what ? I don´t give a monkey´s ass about nostalgia , Macross is a part of my life forever and I don´t need that nostalgic crap to ensure myself about that , if I wanted to see SDF Macross I would go and watch the DVD sets not praise for a CG rendition of it like some people in the old boards. I still enjoy the original series to this day because of what it is , and that´s the reason I want to see its ideas and concepts expanded in sequels and prequels even.

It seems satysfaction is something unreachable when it comes to Macross.

Edited by Aegis!

Sheesh. Quit worshiping blindly at the Macross trough. Macross Zero is weak so far. Yes it is incomplete but it has not grabbed me and it has not grabbed a lot of other people either. Don't try to defend poor scriptwriting by saying "it's only an OAV". Look at Macross Plus. By the time It's second episode was over we had a great story going with excellent character development, backgrounds, an emerging villain and at least you could say the people knew what the freaking story was about. With the third installment in Zero the darn thing is more than half over and that means we should have half of the story... and in my book we only have one tenth of it. Try as they might this is not Apocalypse Now or The Usual Suspects and their ham-fisted treatment of the story is not building suspense or adding drama.

Yes, a lot of people have baseless complaints and want something that resembles the original. I just want the original. I could care less if they make any more Macross shows as the only ones I've liked so far have been SDF TV and DYRL. Most likely the only reasons I like those are because the patina of youth still clouds their weaker aspects in my mind. I have grown up and my tastes have grown as well. I'm now a professional in a production office and I have come to expect only the best from the best... and in my opinion Macross Zero is weak. If you ask me people need to stop taking it personally when someone disagrees with them on this board. Some people are going to have opposing viewpoints from time to time and if you don't like them, don't read them.

FOR THE RECORD: I myself never give blind praise. I never thought this series would be better than DYRL or the original TV show because it is impossible to recapture the wonder and awe of seeing something for the first time. Face it, Macross has run it's course and Macross Zero is just more of the same. Satisfaction is not unreachable. I just want my toys and an R1 release of DYRL and I will shut up and move on to something different.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Sheesh. Quit worshiping blindly at the Macross trough. Macross Zero is weak so far. Yes it is incomplete but it has not grabbed me and it has not grabbed a lot of other people either. Don't try to defend poor scriptwriting by saying "it's only an OAV". Look at Macross Plus. By the time It's second episode was over we had a great story going with excellent character development, backgrounds, an emerging villain and at least you could say the people knew what the freaking story was about. With the third installment in Zero the darn thing is more than half over and that means we should have half of the story... and in my book we only have one tenth of it. Try as they might this is not Apocalypse Now or The Usual Suspects and their ham-fisted treatment of the story is not building suspense or adding drama.

Yes, a lot of people have baseless complaints and want something that resembles the original. I just want the original. I could care less if they make any more Macross shows as the only ones I've liked so far have been SDF TV and DYRL. Most likely the only reasons I like those are because the patina of youth still clouds their weaker aspects in my mind. I have grown up and my tastes have grown as well. I'm now a professional in a production office and I have come to expect only the best from the best... and in my opinion Macross Zero is weak. If you ask me people need to stop taking it personally when someone disagrees with them on this board. Some people are going to have opposing viewpoints from time to time and if you don't like them, don't read them.

FOR THE RECORD: I myself never give blind praise. I never thought this series would be better than DYRL or the original TV show because it is impossible to recapture the wonder and awe of seeing something for the first time. Face it, Macross has run it's course and Macross Zero is just more of the same. Satisfaction is not unreachable. I just want my toys and an R1 release of DYRL and I will shut up and move on to something different.

Sorry ? M+ plus had deep character development by the second OVA ? yeah right ...Isamu was still the same wreckless pilot , Guld was still a blank piece of paper apart from his spontaneous attacks and Myung hardly changed by the end of the OVAs. Macross Plus was more about the conflict itself than the characters involved in the conflict. Macross Plus was well directed , and we´ve only come to realise that once we´ve seen it all.

People assume and prejudge things before they ever finnish and because of the vision they build from those assumptions they never bother to re-evaluate their preconceptions and see the whole thing and enjoy it, I bet that by this time you´re more than disinterested about Ep.3 or M0 as a whole.

I myself don´t assume Macross Zero is gonna be great because it could be crap from now on , but I don´t completely disregard its good assets which by far exceed the bad ones.

I respect you decision of limiting your vision of Macross to just the original series , but for me Macross didn´t end with the original series , Macross as it is is an unfinished story and will remain so , sequels just expand its concepts in a constructive process and that´s what I enjoy.

My sole interest in Macross Zero was not triggered because of the name Macross , I don´t buy everything with a label , I watch it because it complements the whole concept of Macross , and if I had a limited vision of what the author idea is I wouldn´t enjoy Macross at all.

It seems a waste of time to say people like Macross if they only like the original series , the TV series don´t represent Macross solely by themselves , it they could Kawamori would´ve finnished this whole thing long time ago when Macross stopped airing in Japan in the 80s , there would be no DYRL? , most importantly DYRL? itself it´s a proof that Macross can´t be told in an strict and limited manner and that the original series isn´t all there´s is to it.

I'm rather enjoying Macross Zero, although I can see where some of the complaints are coming from. Personally, I love the animation overall, especially the mechanical stuff. The Valkyries, in particular look great. In can see the controversy in this style, but I like it. As SuperOstrich said, that open scene with the Macross really did it for me.

The story as a whole hasn't really drawn me in as much as some of the others. Certain aspects I enjoy, like the combat (of course) and the research about the protoculture. The stuff dealing with the island natives I don't find particularly interesting (althoug some of the legend stuff is kind of neat). If find myself skipping these parts most of the time. This also goes for some of the mystical aspects as well. I could never really buy into that stuff. I think this is one of the reasons I don't enjoy Macross 7 (not to start that debate again). That being said, I find that sort of thing much more "believable" in Zero than 7.

I also like the music quite a bit actually, although I don't think it is on par with Plus. I feel it serves its purpose in providing mood, but not much else.

In the end, I guess I enjoy what is there, but I wish the story focused more on the aspects of Macross that interest me personally. I'd be keen to know more about the war bewteen the UN and Anti-UN, the development of the mecha, the research into the protoculure, and less of the island natives (although I recognize how some of that ties in) :)

I hate to say this, but if things don't speed up on Vol3, I'm just going to wait for both Vol4 and 5 to be out before I think about getting them. I've already started to lose my interest in it. :(

Bah, what the hell is a year or so wait for all 5 episodes of Zero in the face of waiting almost 20 years to get the original series subtitled over here! Personally, I love Zero, love the direction it's taking, and the only thing I dislike thus far are the terrible HK subtitles I have to put up with to watch it. The story is solid so far, and I don't doubt for a minute that things aren't being set up for a hugely bitchin' finale.

Why does Shin warrent a special Zero? Because he was an ace with a F-14. Sure he had his ass handed to him by a variable fighter, but that's understandable. Once he masters the VF-0D, he'll be at least as good as Hikaru.

So far I've enjoyed Macross Zero. It hasn't knocked my socks off yet, and I was half expecting it to. To be honest, I think it lacks an engine (or at least a strong one). In other words, the pacing is pretty weak. But after seeing episode 2, I can see some real development in the characters and the plot (although it's so freaking hard with those horrible HK subtitles- I'm right there with ya, Kieth) and I think it's pretty good. It kind of reminds me of Evangelion with its many scientific and theological questions, I just hope they don't keep us guessing even after the ending! :ph34r:

And it seems like a complete waste of time for any of us to be getting their back up over another person's interest or disinterest. It's really premature to judge this series. Once it's done let the bullets fly, but until then, keep it cool. Granted, volume 1 of Macross Plus had me drooling all over the floor for more (and I though it'd be a crapshoot! HA!), but this is a different series. We'll see what happens.

One point of real contention for me: episode 1 end credits song....it had me cringing! Not so much with the song, but the singing. ACK! :o What, did that girl sing with half a lung or something?? I'm sorry, guys, I just couldn't deal.

Oh, and you guys who say "I'm just going to wait till the whole series is released to buy them"....yeah, right! I can imagine why you said it, but c'mon...you're all addicts. The guy who can actually DO that gets my compliments on their willpower. (and you'd have to roll a 20 to make THAT save)

I know what you mean about the subtitles. From what I have seen everyone is flying around in Scar Squadron. Sigh :(

I'm not sure that it is too early to judge the series. Certainly it may pick up in the last three episodes, but the fact is for some people (not so much me :) ) it has not captured their interests. This is a problem with the series, regardless of how it turns out. I know what your saying that there is a lot left, and there is, but still, we are over a third of the way through. I do find it a bit slow in places, but I seem to enjoy it more than a lot of other people around here.

And I am going to wait for the end of the series before I buy them :) If they come out with a box set or something, I want to get that. Has there been any mention of something of that sort so far?

Well, I for one really like Mac0. Before I actually saw the first episode, I was not all that interested. I thought it was going to be too related to the original Macross and not anything new. After seeing the first episode, I was hooked. The animation and art work was just gorgous. The action was fantastic and I really like the mecha, especially the sv-51. The characters are okay and the story seems fine to me. My wife even sat through the whole first episode and loved it. She was begging for more after it was over. I have not tried to sort it all out with how it fits into the Macross universe or analyzed every detail. I hold final judgement of the story when I see the final episode. Maybe some of you expect too much. Much like in the toy department, there seems to be more criticism than compliments. Mac0 is a high quality animation that isn't perfect or the best thing ever, just something entertaining and worthwhile to watch.

I stick to my guns, Macross Zero has not "wowed" me. I've seen a lot of stuff in my life and I know what I like... and I am indifferent to this. Part three needs to hook me because if it doesn't then stick the fork in me I'm done with it. I am not being overcritical or judgemental on an "unfinished" story as this thing is an OAV, not a TV show. We are having to pay to see this thing... and in that respect the story (amongst everything else) must captivate the audience otherwise people won't buy the darn thing. It's becoming clear to me that sales of this thing are happening on blind fanboy addiction levels and, let's be honest with ourselves, some people are like me and they are buying it for the "it has to get better with the next part" reasoning.

I have come to grips with it that I am pretty much alone in not liking most of the Macross universe... The Macross market has gone in several different directions since the original TV show and movie and every one has been no better or no worse (well, except Macross 7) than the original and they have not really added much to the original concept of the show (please for god's sake DO NOT debate me on this guys this is my opinion and you can't change it). Entertainment is like a drug, with every hit you take after the first two or three you need more and more, better and better in order to maintain that high... and Macross Zero, much like it's brothers Plus, II, 7 and what not, is just not "high grade" enough for me to maintain a buzz on. Call me a lukewarm fan but I know what I like and this ain't it. We all like elements of things. I like Muscle cars and guns also, but I don't just love all of them no matter what they are just because they fit into those categories. Be honest, you yourselves are also selective of what you like and don't like in certain categories.

I have my opinions and they are mine and mine alone, just because I don't like it does not mean you have to "convince me".

I don't know, I've really enjoyed both episodes immensely..... I certainly want to see how the remaining three episodes play out, but I have really liked everything I've seen so far.

And JsArclight, of course you're free to your opinion...... I'm not sure why you would think you wouldn't be. The only reason I can see people perhaps trying to convince you of this is when you bring up things like "poor scriptwriting", which perhaps they feel like responding to. At the very least, just as you have your opinion, others have their own... it's not so much that they are trying to convince you of anything as responding to what you have said.

I don't think you're necessarily alone in liking the original Macross primarily...... there's probably a lot of people like that.

I personally enjoy the various Macross stuff to varying degrees..... the original is probably my all-time favorite.... at the same time, I can certainly understand that other people perhaps don't like Macross 7 as much as I do..... or that they may not enjoy Macross Zero as much as I've enjoyed it.

Different people will react in different ways. I think you are free to say you don't like it. But I think some of your statements perhaps go beyond just opinions, which is perhaps what people are responding to.... i.e. if you say the show has poor scriptwriting, you have to expect that someone who does like the scriptwriting of the show so far would respond to that. If you say not just that you don't like the show, but that it is weak, people will respond to that too. It's natural.

But it's ok.... you are free to your opinion, everyone else is free to their own.

-Elektrix

Edited by Elektrix

In the end it's all anime anyway, and anime is a lower form of entertainment in my mind. It can never equal the emotion and presence of a live action movie. To me, anime is no different than american cartoons, it just has more mature subject matter.

I don't know if I could agree with that...... I don't see anything inherent in animation that would explain this.

I mean, take Watership Down, or Grave of the Fireflies..... I don't think it's even about equaling what a live action movie can accomplish. It is a different form.

If anything, I think that animation and artwork in general can convey a type of emotion and presence that would be impossible in a live action movie or photography.

But you're free to believe that. I personally think there are unique things about artwork and animation that make them perfectly legitimate and capable of very unique things that can't be done with live action or photography.... it's a different form, I don't see any reason to call it a lower one.

But if you feel that way about anime, that's up to you.

-Elektrix