Macross 7

Check out the brand new super anti protodevlin valk, custom made just for the Macross 7 fleet to their specifications... and equiped with a speaker on it's butt..:p

That's from J-Decker you dummy.

Really? are you shure you want to call me a dummy?

Check out the brand new super anti protodevlin valk, custom made just for the Macross 7 fleet to their specifications... and equiped with a speaker on it's butt..:p

hey dummy, mellow out :p

hey dummy, mellow out :p

Only a dummy would say that.

:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Some people were having hard time following the rules.

True but you were only allowed 1 post, so its not like they could keep on it.

I thought that thing was a good idea.

Hm, I thought the animation in Dynamite was pretty good...but I've only watched it once.

About the general "M7 has crappy battle animation" rap, even aside from Dynamite, I don't think it's entirely warranted. True, there is a lot of bad animation in battle sequences, but there are also some battle sequences that I felt were done quite well in the series. I'm especially thinking of the episodes featuring Millia's VF-1. Though, again, I've only gone through most of the series once.

I'd say that the overall animation of the Macross 7 series is better and more consistent than SDF Macross, however most of the quality seems to be with the character and non-battle animation. Most of the recycled battle animations are very poor indeed, wich I can imagine does not sit well with those of us who were spoiled by the Itano Circus.

There are exceptions, of course. Some of the battle animation in a few key scenes, animation that could not be reused, wasn't too shabby. Also, the transformation of Battle 7 was always a treat.

• 1 month later...

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

After receiving my FX M7 boxset in the mail over 3 months ago I've finally managed to get through all 49 episodes and the Encore eps.

It took me so long because as many have said before the early part of the show is too slow and the middle gets very repetitive.

However I feel as if there was a payoff in the last 10-20 episodes.

Some of my favourites were episodes 44 ('Nightmarish Invasion') with its star wars style dog fight and the follow up ep 45 ('Ambitious 4th Planet'). These had some truly heart wrenching and spectacular moments. I just wish Gamlin had stayed dead. Episode 44 would have been much more significant and special that way and would have increased my respect for the whole show. It would have reduced the invincible superhero mecha angle that they seemed to have going, which I hated.

Episode 37 ('Mystery of the Space Ruins?') was another redeeming point for the series. It really extended the story of Macross and better explained a few things. Its good to see these explained in canon rather than reading them second hand on the Macross Compendium.

Mylene was the standout character in terms of style with the staff obviously taking great care in animating her. I mean she had multiple new outfits in almost every episode. How often does that happen in anime? Although she started off annoying I really got to like her (not in THAT way!) by the end of the show.

I agree with most here that the battle animation sucked and the Sound Force designs were a bit too out there. VF-11s in the show went beyond the definition of cannon fodder!!

The music is pretty great imo. I mean better than you're average anime soundtrack, something a little different and Fire Bomber make the Jamming Birds sound like the J-Pop candyasses they are! I suspect the producers purposely made the Jamming Birds' only song sound as weak and lame as possible just to make Fire Bomber sound better but hey there were some great Fire Bomber songs in there, for anime.

I really hated how the love triangle wasn't resolved however the Encore episode 'Which do you Love' was hilarious with Millia interfering. Great stuff!

Encore ep "Fleet of Strongest Women" was just cool. Especially the Mylene version of the DYRL? ending. I mean this had some decent battle animation for once and a few very cool mecha with new animation (Armored VF-11C).

Overall I happily recommend Macross 7 for all its flaws as a legitimate Macross sequel. Let's Fire!!!

Overall I happily recommend Macross 7 for all its flaws as a legitimate Macross sequel. Let's Fire!!!

:ph34r:

"Lets Fire!"?..... hmmmmmmm. Sounds flaming.

just when I get over my intense dislike of this series and manage to forget it ever happened someone always brings it up. It's a lot like violently ripping a scab off just when it seems all will be well.

FIREd

:ph34r:

"Lets Fire!"?..... hmmmmmmm. Sounds flaming.

It burns when I pee! :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

well I had to put my 2 cents in after finally getting thru the series.

You know, based on average interenet reviews I had decided to never watch Macross 7. But after this thread, combined with the thought that I endured Macross II when I was 12 (which was a feat, let me tell you), maybe I'll give it a watch. Max and Milia were my favorites anyways.

You know, based on average interenet reviews I had decided to never watch Macross 7. But after this thread, combined with the thought that I endured Macross II when I was 12 (which was a feat, let me tell you), maybe I'll give it a watch. Max and Milia were my favorites anyways.

Macross 7 is genreally a love it or hate it show.

People have very strong opinions about it. The "hate its" are just a lot louder, as is usual.

People have very strong opinions about it. The "hate its" are just a lot louder, as is usual.

not louder just more of them :p

not louder just more of them :p

No, definitely louder.