Macross 7

Count me in as another one of the "few people" who was drawn into Macross 7 from the very first episode. ^-^

If it takes a series 12 episodes to get "good", there's something wrong. I just didn't care for it...the animation wasn't that great and most of the character designs and costumes looked rather goofy. Any of those could be forgivable if the character they chose to focus on wasn't so damn annoying. It seemed targeted at a young audience and felt more like Voltron than Macross.

I don't think that Macross 7 was aimed at a young audience at all. If that were the case, perhaps it would be easier for most people to understand the message of the show. The "fighting is not the answer" message that the show conveys is actually a very mature point of view.

Basara is "annoying" because he is determined. Just as Gamilin found him a bit less annoying as the show progressed and he began to understand what Basara was doing, those of us who understand Basara's motives don't find him nearly as annoying as those who don't understand do.

The target audience of the show is more likely Japanese young adults. In the lessons learned after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the general feeling is that "never again" should they let something like that happen again... anywhere.

It's interesting that this topic should come up today. I don't think that it is a coincidence that Basara's birthdate is August 15th. It fits right in with the message of the show. According to a couple friends of mine in Japan, who along with me share an August 15th birthday, today is the day that commemorates the end of Japan's involvement in the war.

BTW, I agree with Radd. The series itself was just the right length, but I would love to see more shows with the same characters and themes similar to the Dynamite OVAs.

peace

(edited to correct spelling)

Edited by alindasue

• 3 months later...

I just got my Macross 7 FX sets delivered today (All the way to Australia from the good people at Valkyrie Exchange - Thanks guys!) and started watching the series for the first time since watching the fansubs 5 or so year ago. My impressions so far:

Video and audio are really nice, well definately acceptable for a TV series.

Love the inclusion of so many extras.

I remembered how great the character animation is and how bad the mecha animation is...

The cover design is pretty weak imo. Would like to download scans of the Japanese box art. Anyone know how many volumes the R2 DVDs run?

Are there any Macross 7 titles missing from this set? I don't think so.

Nope, it's a complete 7 set. The only thing missing (and strangely too) are the "to be continued" last 3 seconds of each Dynamite episode....though the next episode previews are there. Why this was done, I'll never know.

The cover design is pretty weak imo. Would like to download scans of the Japanese box art. Anyone know how many volumes the R2 DVDs run?

There are fourteen volumes, I believe. Or was it thirteen? I forget.

Anyway, I don't particularly care for the DVD art, I prefer the cover art for the original LD and VHS releases. Funnily enough, these are shown on the BACK of the DVDs, below the blurb, in slighty "tainted" form.

The best artwork is that of the LD Box Fire set. Mikimoto, of course, is the only way to go.

Nope, it's a complete 7 set. The only thing missing (and strangely too) are the "to be continued" last 3 seconds of each Dynamite episode....though the next episode previews are there. Why this was done, I'll never know.

Are the M7 P*L*U*S shorts included?

Basara is "annoying" because he is determined. Just as Gamilin found him a bit less annoying as the show progressed and he began to understand what Basara was doing, those of us who understand Basara's motives don't find him nearly as annoying as those who don't understand do.

No Basara is just annoying... well... because he's annoying. And I do understand his motives. Doesn't change the fact (yes fact) he's a tool and a loser lol

No Basara is just annoying... well... because he's annoying. And I do understand his motives. Doesn't change the fact (yes fact) he's a tool and a loser lol

Haven't you been following along? To understand Basara is to love Basara. Hence, since you do not love Basara you clearly do not understand Basara.

Or something like that. :lol:

You know, I'd kind of have to admit to that....if you really pay attention to what Basara is trying to do....he's not so annoying.....but he does seem to be some what of a tool and I find Ray to be at fault for that.

Basara could've been such a cooler character if he didn't sing every episode. His motives are fine and his view is whatever, but they could've made him out to be a little less panzy and it would've brought the message a little bit stronger.

As far as the plot, there is a great story there underneath the "I'll sing, not fight" dilema that's there every ep. Overall, I actually like the story even though it sounds like I don't. Story= good, characters=need work. :D

For some odd reason, I need pictures of Ms. Inez and Dr. Chiba from Nadesico and M7 and lots of screen caps of various episodes of Macross 7 to give a indepth explination of Basara.....someone wanna tell me why I wanna do that? It seems so wrong.....

You know, I'd kind of have to admit to that....if you really pay attention to what Basara is trying to do....he's not so annoying.....but he does seem to be some what of a tool and I find Ray to be at fault for that.

Tools have a purpose and he serves none.

I don't think that Macross 7 was aimed at a young audience at all. If that were the case, perhaps it would be easier for most people to understand the message of the show. The "fighting is not the answer" message that the show conveys is actually a very mature point of view.

It may be a mature attitude, but kids shows like Care Bears also have a "fighting is bad" message. It is certainly not something that is unique to Macross, and it certainly isn't beyond the storylines/themes of shows aimed at children.

And so the bashing begins again.

Am I the only that noticed that dejr8bud who helped started the bashing again decided to start it by quoting a comment that was posted on August 15?

At least quote a comment that's more time worthy. B))

Am I the only that noticed that dejr8bud who helped started the bashing again decided to start it by quoting a comment that was posted on August 15?

Yeah, you gotta wonder about that, quoting something...what are we in december...almost 4 months later.

You will listen to Basara's song!

No. :)

I'd love for Keith to be in front of me and say that. I'd either fall down laughing or I would strap him to the hood of my car and drive through the carwash to wash the lame out of him.

There are fourteen volumes, I believe. Or was it thirteen? I forget.

Anyway, I don't particularly care for the DVD art, I prefer the cover art for the original LD and VHS releases. Funnily enough, these are shown on the BACK of the DVDs, below the blurb, in slighty "tainted" form.

The best artwork is that of the LD Box Fire set. Mikimoto, of course, is the only way to go.

Thanks for the info Renato, guess I'll have to get the LDs for display purposes. A friend brought back a bunch of M7 LDs on a trip to Japan once for 500 yen each I think...

And thankyou too for the info. The 'To Be Continued' is missing from Dynamite? Wierd. Anyway, anal as I am about my Macross its still an acceptable ommitance from a great set.

You will listen to Basara's song!

I knew you would say that! :p

That's funny, I was betting on "Bomba!"

*hands AgentONE $5 *

Nope, bomba is what Basara needs... a big BOMBA between his sissy rear... and a total BOMBArdment to everything related to that crap that M7 is.

By the way, about Basara being anoying (and a wuss and everything else.. you guys understand) I really wanted Kaifun to die a trully mind disturbing death on the original series, he was a total loser and to be honest one of the few characters that was anoying on SDF:M.... BUT he appeared from time to time only, too bad nobody kicked some sense out of him..... now here comes Macross 7 wich has Basara... he's basically a Kaifun clone, a total loser and a real pussy, but this time he's on every episode, anoying everyone 24/7 and spreading his sissyness and lameness constantly, so my point is: is basara anoying? hell yeah!! why the hell nobody kicked his sorry a.ss or killed him on the first episodes?? beats me but if M7 has a another sequel someday I hope it'll be one where Basara gets a really stupid death.. like being slaughtered by a rabid gubaba or something, the rest of the fire bomber crap completelly eradicated from the universe, the clown force turds burned and..... oh man.. the list is gonna be long... well, you guys are smart enough to imagine the rest... now Kawamori: please return to the Macross wich has realistic designs both mechanical and characters, no stupid magic or sissies everywhere, enemies that are not designed to appear on the teletubies and overall a show that deserves the name Macross.... not one that deserves to be called "teletubies in space" or "sailor moon and her band of clowns" or even worse: "sissy squad"

Later folks B))

Edited by macplus

I've now watched the first 18 episodes. I don't really have strong feelings either way as of yet. I feel that the story is painfully slow, but I felt the same way about SDF Macross. I plan to watch the rest if I can find it.

My Macross ranking (I tend to prefer the shorter stories)...

1. DYRL

2. M0

3. M+

4. SDF M

5. Flashback

6. M7

Check out the brand new super anti protodevlin valk, custom made just for the Macross 7 fleet to their specifications... and equiped with a speaker on it's butt..:p

:lol: Come on MacPlus if you want to make fun of it go to the real thing

I never get tired of this one:

post-2-1102067370_thumb.jpg

Check out the brand new super anti protodevlin valk, custom made just for the Macross 7 fleet to their specifications... and equiped with a speaker on it's butt..:p

:lol: Come on MacPlus if you want to make fun of it go to the real thing

I never get tired of this one:

Holly crap! Gamlin looks like the short haired Sharon Apple!!!! and if Keith got rid of my sleep by mentioning that POS show of Stinky Orbots you killed my apetite with those two sissies..!! we need censorship! thank's "pal" :p:p:lol:

Edited by macplus