Just finished Flashback 2012

Smiley424

Sup everyone,

I just got my copy of Flashback 2012 and watched it. I liked it cuz I'm a big fan of the TV-series/DYRL soundtrack anyway. I liked seeing the end concert with the lift-off of the Megaroad-01 and seeing the VF-4s in action. Everything was tied up into a neat little package with regard to Hikaru/Misa/Minmei. I'm just a real sucker for the sappy love story that is Macross.

If u loved the Macross music, you'll love this ;)

And if you don't like Minmay music, you probably won't. :lol:

Anyway, it was worth it to me for all of the $9.99 or so I paid for it, but YMMV. I see them going for really cheap on Ebay all the time - you can probably pick it up on the cheap from there. It's worth it, if only for the closure to the original series. And the VF-4's. :D

How funny I just finished watching it again for the 50th time a minute ago. I thinks it's the best ending for Hikaru, Misa and Minmay. It gives you the best of moments to music and a happy but open ending.

Then you get people saying what ever happen to them. I like the end as it is.

A thought did come to me. If they did keep telling the stories of those characters it might have been them in Macross 7 and not the Jeniuses. Can you imagine how bad that would be? Don't think about it. I did and you won't like it. Trust me it's a scary thought.

Will Hikaru's son ever go to college?

son? He had a son? I know they had a daugter but I don't remember any mention of a son. Although if I think really hard....Basara does have Hikaru hair...but then again he also looks a lot like Kaifun...hmm :unsure:

:lol:

(just a joke people...I'm pretty sure Hikaru and Kaifun never had a love child of any sort....and I'll kill the first person who writes a fan-fic about it!! ) <_< :p

Will Hikaru's son ever go to college?

son? He had a son? I know they had a daugter but I don't remember any mention of a son. Although if I think really hard....Basara does have Hikaru hair...but then again he also looks a lot like Kaifun...hmm :unsure:

Hmmm....

(just a joke people...I'm pretty sure Hikaru and Kaifun never had a love child of any sort....and I'll kill the first person who writes a fan-fic about it!! )  <_<  :p

*hastily puts pen down and sets fire to some papers*

This is the last piece of the original Macross story I've yet to see.  I'd love to watch it.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

As much as I love Macross......this is one of those titles that you can't miss. Seeing the montage of images *SPOILERS*

(Minmay in front of the SDF poster suddenly turning into Minmay in front of the Megaroad poster was GREAT, Misa as Captain, Hikaru in the VF-4. As Smiley424 said.....it ties up the series in a neat package) with Mari Iijima vocals on Tenshi No Enogu (which is my favorite Macross song) is just superb.

And despite wrapping things up so nicely, people will forever be asking "What happens to Hikaru and Misa after they leave on the Megaroad?"

Over.

And over.

Again.

But Kawamori definately pulled the Flashback 2012 thing off alright, he didn't have to resort to a Tomino-style Char's Counterattack and kill them all off.

Yes, he just left it dangling. :p

Seriously, Flashback 2012, while a nice program, merely put into animation what had already been stated at the end of the TV series.

(Minmay in front of the SDF poster suddenly turning into Minmay in front of the Megaroad poster was GREAT, Misa as Captain, Hikaru in the VF-4.

That was a great montage. SPOILER AHEAD!

I also liked the tension between Minmay and her parents when she realizes she want's to be a popstar. It was brief and to the point. Well executed!

I hear people say that this was episode 37 of SDF. Is that true?

~G25

(Minmay in front of the SDF poster suddenly turning into Minmay in front of the Megaroad poster was GREAT, Misa as Captain, Hikaru in the VF-4.

I also liked the tension between Minmay and her parents when she realizes she want's to be a popstar. It was brief and to the point. Well executed!

~G25

In a way, I suppose...it wasn't run on TV and it was made four years after the end of the TV series, so it wasn't any kind of ACTUAL episode 37. But in the sense that it comes after the events of the series, yeah, it kinda is.

I think it's funny that everyone's talking about it as such a great ending...when I first saw it in '87 or '88, I thought it was merely a teaser for a new sequel series or movie.

Imagine how gypped I felt when five years went past and then, Macross II came out...

I think it's funny that everyone's talking about it as such a great ending...when I first saw it in '87 or '88, I thought it was merely a teaser for a new sequel series or movie.

Imagine how gypped I felt when five years went past and then, Macross II came out...

I'm suprised you didn't snap and go on a killing spree of some sort.

I'm suprised you didn't snap and go on a killing spree of some sort.

Don't worry...I hid the bodies quite well...

when I first saw it in '87 or '88, I thought it was merely a teaser for a new sequel series or movie.

Aww..! You poor guy! *pats shoulder sympathetically* :(

I downloaded a portion of it from www.unspacy.de, and that was just after watching the movie again one night. I loved it too, guys (and gals)! Of course, I'm kind of a big sap, but whatever.

Although, I keep meaning to order the DVD. Is there a selection (like with the movie)? If so, which one is best?

The actual episode was episode 15 "Chinatown", when Hikaru takes Minmay to her hometown of Yokohama. The episode was set days after the Macross returned to Earth. Also, Minmay haven't seen her parents for a long while when she stayed with her uncle at South Atalia Island.

In that episode, Minmay's parents disapproved of her singing career very quickly and they wanted her to inherit their Chinese restaurant business should they pass on.

Oh, and there is no episode 37 because the Macross TV series ended in 36 episodes!

Hmmm, I watched this again the other night. It's great for background music since I don't have any of the soundtracks. Plus, I knew I had to get it when people were talking about the Megaload and the VF-4. Sweet sequences.

I paid $15 or $20 for mine a couple years ago at the San Diego Comic Con. Still it's worth the money.

That and her looking at the family portrait feeling sorry she was so tough on her parents. Yeah, I'm a sap too. :(

That and her looking at the family portrait feeling sorry she was so tough on her parents. Yeah, I'm a sap too. :(

No way man, you aren't a Sap... FB makes me cry every time I watch it.

I icon12.gif Minmay. Her story is so tragic, and it is so well finished in FB.

I love Flashback 2012! It's so beautifully animated and some of the renditions of at least one of the songs is only on the tape. I don't remember the name of the song, the song that has a very patriotic video. I love the new designs at the end with Angel Paints, also if you watch the special version of DYRL from years ago they have a shorter version of "Angel Paints" with some different sequences. I also like how the scene where Minmay is at a press photo with flowers is followed by the press photo where she looks sad and is going to make some kind of announement, how in the other version the scenes are reversed. A very cool ending to the original Macross.

Randy aka Powered Convoy