Chogokin Space ship

STARBLAZERS POPY YAMATO BPX-01 BANDAI ......................$588

Captain Harlock ARCADIA Battler Ship Yamato Chogokin .......+$120

Why are they so expensive?

Aren't they just the detailed metal chunk?

Do they have any gimmicky functions that I don't know of that warrants such price?

the Yamato is getting old and rare so the value is getting high, as for the Arcadia most new chogokins of that size are no different in price, from the Zambot 3 to Dancouga even the Genesic Gaogaigar and Aoshima's Mazinkaiser expect to pay over $100.00 for any decent size Chogokin regardless of what it is based on or how many features it has. most are mainly diecast with alot of accesseries and weapons I do not think the arcadia has to many gimmicks but it is a really nice display peice, i am probally going to get one soon myself.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on SOP's Space Cruiser Yamato a couple of years ago (back when you could get em for $100 to $140).

Suprisingly there's little to no die-cast on that particular piece. But, from what I've read on Toy Box DX it has the most accurate sculpt of any Yamato ever produced. Personally, I consider it to be the centerpiece of my small collection (that is UNTIL Yamato releases the SDF-1).

It has plenty of features to keep the die hard Yamato fans happy. Now, if they'd only get started on the Andromeda (hopefully in 1/625 scale) I'll be one happy pappy.

Why are they so expensive now? As zeo-mare stated "the Yamato is gettin old and rare so the value is getting high". That alone makes me want to hold on to her for dear life. :(:lol:

BTW.....if anyone can show me a place (besides E-Bay) that has the NEW Arcadia (from Captain Herlock's new series) that'd be nice.

:p

The reason is that Bandai or Aoshima produce this in limited number, compare to US counterparts and they make it good!!!!

Initally, they will be relatively inexpensive, but not to the point you see Macross 1/60 going for this day. However, due to thier limited production number, it will eventually go up in prices. Bandai Yamato- What can you say. It is rare this days.

Captain Harlock - They are curretnly offring 2nd version (One with the knife). The first version are mostly sold out and they are already going for more than what it was a year ago.

BTW.....if anyone can show me a place (besides E-Bay) that has the NEW Arcadia (from Captain Herlock's new series) that'd be nice.

Isn't it the same as the 'Arcadia of My Youth' Arcadia?

Isn't it the same as the 'Arcadia of My Youth' Arcadia?

I don't know.....all I know is that the newer version (from the new Captain Herlock series) has a huge friggin Rambo knife sticking out of her bow. ;)

Those SOP Yamatos are pretty sweet!

It has lottsa cool little gimmicks - lights, sounds, opening hatches, etc. - and very well-detailed, excellent weathering, etc. It was disappointing to me tho, when I bought one (when they first came out) and it had so little die-cast content. The sculpt is beautiful. However, the lack of metal content (or maybe just the type of plastic used) just made it feel kinda cheap-o... thus I sold mine last year for a tasty profit. :D

The knife isn't always there, it comes out for ramming another ship, space station, planet. I believe it was similar for the original Arcadia.

Aoshima, first version did not include the knife. The newer release (Which I call 2nd version) includes fix "Rambo" knife in the front.

I've got one on eBay right now and it's pretty cheap right now actually. Only at about $50 with no reserve. It's low becuase it's unfortunately missing one small part, but that might be your only way to get the SOP Yamato cheap. Anyways, much better than the 500+ buy it nows you see.

Die cast isn't everything. I picked up one of the Yamatos back in the $100-140 range as a Christmas gift for a friend who was a Starblazers fanatic as a kid. It was easily the best gift during the whole party and everyone (even the most non-anime, non-military, non-toy women there) had to comment on it and my friend was of course estatic. It's the only 'toy' his wife allows him to keep out in the main living area.

The thing is heavily detailed...heck, even the little tiny fighters have detailing. You can pull away parts and see the details and workings of the wave motion gun and the paintjob is very well done (in my opinion, probably better than would have been done if die cast were involved). One friend who visited him even commented on what a great looking WW2 battleship model it was until he got closer and saw the exhaust and extra fins. :-) Given how much moves and can be pulled off, there would have been a lot of chipping going on had it been diecast.

Frankly, I never got into Starblazers as a kid but I still sort of regret not buying one for myself at the time it looks so cool.

Bandai cheaped out on the S.O.P[lastic] Yamato's electronics. The lights and sounds shorted out on mine after leass than 2 weeks. And I do mean SHORTED out, not a case of battery drain. The PVC fins and antennae warp too easily in hot & humid weather. I've stuck mine back in the box. Someday I'll try to get hold of the Chogokin version! :-)

It has plenty of features to keep the die hard Yamato fans happy. Now, if they'd only get started on the Andromeda (hopefully in 1/625 scale) I'll be one happy pappy.

You and me both. Been looking for the Andromeda for a long while. Good thing I have the SOP Yamato. I also got the Matchboz SDF-1 as well. I need a fleet. :rolleyes: