I'm Close To Converting From Robotech

Guest Khyron_Prime

Guest Khyron_Prime
Mac Zero is at the top of my anime to buy list. Are the HK boots any good, as in how is the subbing?

In my opinion, the HKs are very good quality compared to many others that I've seen, most likely as a result of the 'one episode per DVD', that way they don't have to sacrifice film quality in shoving twenty episodes on a single disc. :angry:

As for subtitling...Its a mixed bag. Personally, I can deal with it--again, I've seen much worse. The only real problem is in the subtitlers' screwing-up with the characters' names and other proper nouns. But as long as you know the characters' names--Shin, Sara, Nora, etc.--you're not gonna have a problem.

*Ahem* Shin's co-pilot's name isn't Natuk, in case the subtitlers are wondering right now... :lol:

MESSAGE FROM KHYRON_PRIME:

Alright. A new name. I'm here at Macross World and due to peer-pressure I've signed-up for a new name--honestly, I don't know if I can handle it; its like a drug-withdrawal to change my name from a Robotech one to a Macross one, but hopefully, I'll be able to stick it out...I'm feeling raped in this cowl right now, but perhaps the Macross name will inevitably prove stronger.

MESSAGE FROM KHYRON_PRIME:

Alright. A new name. I'm here at Macross World and due to peer-pressure I've signed-up for a new name--honestly, I don't know if I can handle it; its like a drug-withdrawal to change my name from a Robotech one to a Macross one, but hopefully, I'll be able to stick it out...I'm feeling raped in this cowl right now, but perhaps the Macross name will inevitably prove stronger.

Your conversion is now complete!

Thanks for the info on the HK boots. Looks like more money being spent on Macross...

Lets get this thread back on topic. This is a good place for everyone who converted from RT to Macross purism, to explain how it happened.

I remember being in my local video store looking at the Macross Plus videos and wondering how this fit into RT, where are the alphas I wondered, where are the cyclones, and thought this was some sort of alternate dimension Robotech. So I didn't rent them. Months went by and decided to rent Mac II, this started to bring things into light. Didn't really enjoy it a whole lot, even though I love the VF-2SS. (At this time didn't realize Mac II was alternate dimension story itself) At this point I bought the RT DVD's and probably because I'm older now I realized that the story was made up of three unrelated shows. Now it made sense, in Japan Macross continued on, these were sequels! Rented M+, loved it, found Macross World and tons of other fan websites, started using Macross terminology instead of RT terms. Then bought M+, DYRL, Flashback 2012, and finally SDF Macross. Decided I like the story better, and now RT stuff gathers dust. Also got Genesis Climber Mospeada and enjoy that as well.

One problem, I've started getting into collecting the toys and this is getting to be an expensive hobby.

No need to convert, friend.

I like Macross more than Robotech, but Robotech still has its place. True, it has numerous faults (in and out of the universe), but when you think about it, it is the main reason why we have Macross as well as other anime in North America now anyway.

Stop being angry geek boys and deal with Robotech. You don't have to like it, but stop squabbling like it's some kind of disease. Odds are that it was your first exposure to anime in the first place.

Stopped reading about halfway through. So if this is redundant, sorry.

First step in cleansing yourself of the Robotech taint is to buy/rent the Animeigo DVDs of SDF Macross. Watching the original series without the bad voice acting, mangled plots, and kid-ified subject matter is the first (and, imho, most important) step in starting to truly appreciate Macross and divesting yourself of all the preconceived RT notions.

Just my 2 cents.

H

I've honestly never (and I mean NEVER) heard of Robotech until after I heard about Macross. I've never watched Robotech and I doubt I ever will. I heard Robotech DID have a good story line, it just needed it's own animation

The funny thing is I would not have found out about the different macross toys had someone off Robotech.com not mentioned life outside the harmony gold lines of robotech toys. lol I recently viewed the whole Macross DVD box set. Then I was searching for macross toys, read some reviews online, came here for info, and now I've become a lurker. No wonder threads get deleted on robotech.com. It's to hide the real macross from the masses.

Although I've known about the differences for a long time, (long time casual fan of various anime) I still like the idea that the masses have access to macross through the robotech world because it means they might try to release more toys and games off of robotech. The robotech game wasn't as bad as I was expecting so in some way, from a gamer's point of view, dare I say it, I didn't CARE if the story is canon or who the creators were from the original anime. Sacrilege I know. :)

I can understand why both sides hate each other's guts but...I just don't care haha

Now I'm changing my attitude a bit and I respect the original series, but you got to reason that some macross (in the form of robotech) is better than none (macross by itself would never appeared back then in the 80s) right?

As a little kid if I had to choose between nothing, or something adapted for US tv as a kids cartoon then I would go the latter. Robotech was right there alongside transformers etc (there are even little cultural references in starcraft to the robotech voices) so I can see why people would be fond of it without needing to be a fan of macross.

The ideal to me is that both coexist. Because now that the universe exists and too many people already know about the story from harmony gold's version of events, it would be a waste to just throw that universe out. Rather than have robotech replace macross whenever macross related stuff appears outside japan, I would rather both worlds be around and they continue to keep them both alive.

As an example, Macross II, although not part of the macross universe, was still pretty enjoyable. I loved the mecha, the animation and fighting was good, and really the fact that it was NOT canon didn't affect my enjoyment of it. It may as well have been official, do you see my point?

So I'm a bit of an agnostic when it comes to "choosing sides" and going as far a needing to "re-educate" everyone else about all the differences. If you took away the credits and people had to judge what they thought of a anime without knowing who was behind it, they probably wouldn't be so anal because there would be no fan bias to pollute thier judgement. If some fan makes a star wars clone and rips off the ideas of someone else and it is better than the original, people would most likely just support both series and in 100 years not care. :D All I'm saying is dont' feel you have to "convert" - be your own judge is all. The original post sounded so serious.

First step in cleansing yourself of the Robotech taint is to buy/rent the Animeigo DVDs of SDF Macross. Watching the original series without the bad voice acting, mangled plots, and kid-ified subject matter is the first (and, imho, most important) step in starting to truly appreciate Macross and divesting yourself of all the preconceived RT notions.

Done. Loving the original much more too. Still pissed off that the supervision army is some mysterious enemy of zentreadi we don't get to see. Almost as bad as when they make mention of "section 9" in Ghost in the shell anime movie and never give us non-manga audiences an explanation as to what the fark that is.. hehe

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm watching SDF Macross for the first time myself (currently watching Bye-Bye Mars). All I've ever known is Robotech (TMS), MII, M+, DYRL?, and 2012.... But now having seen SDF Macross...I'm more blown away by it than I am The Macross Saga. Take "Bye-Bye Mars" for example...I don't remember feeling as sad and sorry for Misa in the Robotech version, as I do in Macross TV. ...Anyway.

Edited by Oihan

Yeah same. I wonder if her BF is still hiding on mars somewhere? How come the machine was still sending messages?

I might actually watch these episodes side by side just to compare. The only one thing I liked about robotech more I think was that 1 episode in "force of arms" where minmay is singing "we will win" music. She'd make a great cheerleeder.

Yeah same. I wonder if her BF is still hiding on mars somewhere? How come the machine was still sending messages?

I might actually watch these episodes side by side just to compare. The only one thing I liked about robotech more I think was that 1 episode in "force of arms" where minmay is singing "we will win" music. She'd make a great cheerleeder.

I believe Riber is dead and the messages the base was sending was a trap deployed by the zentran.

Hey, if someone messed with Star Wars, linked it to Aliens and 2001, repackaged, then renamed it something like Universe Space Battles and sold it in Japan, you'd laugh your ass off and know it was a joke too! Why support a bunch of hacks? Especially greedy ones that legally tie up international rights that make it harder for fans to get official untainted merchandise! As someone who is creative, always purchases Directors Cuts DVD's etc, I just CANNOT support RT! Even if it was the first Anime I ever saw. Actually... that was Gatchaman.

I believe Riber is dead and the messages the base was sending was a trap deployed by the zentran.

Just watched it again, and I agree. The grav mines were a trap and the messages must have been part of the scheme. I wonder why misa didn't bring some of the books with her before leaving?

Hey, if someone messed with Star Wars, linked it to Aliens and 2001, repackaged, then renamed it something like Universe Space Battles and sold it in Japan, you'd laugh your ass off and know it was a joke too! Why support a bunch of hacks? Especially greedy ones that legally tie up international rights that make it harder for fans to get official untainted merchandise! As someone who is creative, always purchases Directors Cuts DVD's etc, I just CANNOT support RT! Even if it was the first Anime I ever saw. Actually... that was Gatchaman.

Well the thing is...most people are weak willed. If some macross fan came along and told me I can't buy the new robotech game because somehow it would be supporting the bad guys I think I will crumble and still end up supporting that company.hehe like I said maybe I'm just a greedy, selfish SOB but that's unfortunately how businesses are and how consumers behave. For every opportunity to make money there will always be some other guy trying to rip off somebody and ride on thier success. (but that doesn't mean I should protest against macross II for example. I still enjoyed it and from a consumer's point of view and I shouldn't really care who profited should I?)

Another example if somebody didn't clone pcs and compete, people would get used to paying full price for things rather than searching for bargains. When companies need to compete, it means consumers get the best of both worlds. More choice, possibly cheaper things, more leverage to demand quality etc. If I see a better price at a cheaper deal with equal quality, do I show loyalty or cave into temptation?

On the issue of HG's tieing up of licenses I agree on that one. Pissed off. But....like I said the masses of casual fans from Robotech probably don't know much about macross and so there's not much that you can do apart from letting both universes exist side by side. (If people want to see what happens to Rick's expeditionary force and continue that universe to tie up the loose ends, then good I say. I personally wouldnt mind seeing another series so long as HG learn to share and stop hogging the market by blocking macross. But fans are fans and companies don't always listen to them - sad fact of life.)

In my experience fans normally don't care about the casual masses, but that's who business wants to capitalise on and profit off so they can keep making more $.

Why do I support HG by buying anything related to robotech? Answer: I don't see me buying something off them necessarily as agreeing with everything the company does.

I buy lots of nintendo games but I disagree with lots of decisions they make. Does that mean I should never support them ever again? No. You can still hate the company but buy thier products - ironic but true. Look at microsoft software. There are probably lots of people who hate thier tactics but end up using thier poorer products anyway..Maybe they don't realise the cheaper alternatives or competition's products. But people go against thier conscience out of convenience.

What took your ass so long to convert Kyron?

Maybe you finally realize those jokers at RT are nothing but snakes.

:rolleyes:

It only took me one day to convert to Macross once I was enlightened by the good people in here (Macross Plus and II). Besides, the ppl at RT are freaking morons. You should read some of the members assinine posts. Not only that, you got Nazi moderators there and their servers suck!

Robotech 2004? Don't fool yourself, there will be no robotech 2004, 2005, or 2006. It's all a scam.They've been making robotech 200X since '99, it doesn't take 4+ years to make an animated series, hell, it barely takes 1.

Dude since before 99... They were always saying that they were going to finish the Sentenels before that.

Robotech 2004?  Don't fool yourself, there will be no robotech 2004, 2005, or 2006. It's all a scam.They've been making robotech 200X since '99, it doesn't take 4+ years to make an animated series, hell, it barely takes 1.

Dude since before 99... They were always saying that they were going to finish the Sentenels before that.

Heh, there are still people waiting for them to finish the sentinels.... :)

Yeah, it makes me wonder just how many lives HG has screwed up forever....

(40 years later)

60 year old RT Fan: "Well, HG is still talking about it, maybe we'll see it by the end of this year! (2044)"

I'm officially labelling their new series as "Vaporware"... at least until I see more on it.

Yeah, it makes me wonder just how many lives HG has screwed up forever....

(40 years later)

60 year old RT Fan: "Well, HG is still talking about it, maybe we'll see it by the end of this year! (2044)"

I'm officially labelling their new series as "Vaporware"... at least until I see more on it.

well, think about it, they need to wait until macross zero is finished before they know what the story will be for their new robotech series.

But how to stretch out an OVA series into a full broadcast season... that's the question... maybe they'll do it dragonball style and have whole epsidoes that are nothing but flashbacks of the previous two episodes....

Besides, the ppl at RT are freaking morons. You should read some of the members assinine posts.

Nice to see that generalization of all Robotech fans is alive and well at MacrossWorld.

Welcome Kamjin_Prime from the sole light of good and decency to these boards....the lone Southern Cross fan amidst the sea of Macrossies. ;)

Hey, what happened? Why does Kamjin_Prime appear "Unregistered" now? Did HG get him??

Suffice it to say that, amongst other things, the intolerant fandom around here forced me to change my name.

Isn't Millia's number 639?

-intolerant fandom :lol:

Isn't Millia's number 639?

Indeed. Have I not already said and displayed that I am not ignorant of Macross?--Don't push that number stuff on me 'cause you get some idea that I'm a fool-poseur Macross fan. :ph34r:

Read the signature, please.