CMS Macross Figures Rant

fifbeat

Okay, what's with this random figure crap? If I'm going to pay $74.99 for a bunch of figurines, then I better be able to PICK them. I mean, come on? WTF? What the hell is his, a McDonald's Happy Meal?? Am I supposed to trade with Bob, Todd and Gilbert over the net to get the ones I want - and ONLY - want?

$74.99 and I don't get to pick. That's pretty sad. It better come with a family platter of Spicy Tuna Rolls!

(and how good are they anyways? Sorry, I didn't have the time to read through the 500,000 posts to find this... so, please, someone tell me...)

Thanks in advancement.

Edited by fifbeat

For $75 you get 2 full sets in a box. One set has normal colored hair, the other has clear hair. The chase figure screws up the set by eliminating one figure. Which figure? I dunno, I didn't get a damn chase.

You can ask Bob, you can try Todd, but I heard Gilbert is out.

I was disappointed with mine. I took out a Minmay, Roy, and Misa, (all normal hair). I'm selling the rest. Currently as a set. But if that doesn't sell, I might break 'em up.

H

Here's how it works for CM 2.

There are two sets of "normal" figures, clear and solid:

Basara

Roy

Sara

Misa

You get both sets of these in every case, for sure.

Then there's a solid colored hair Minmei diorama, and a clear hair Minmei diorama.

You always get the solid colored hair Minmei diorama in every case.

There's also a VF-1 cockpit "chase" figure, which is pretty darned neat. If you get that, it replaces the clear hair Minmei diorama. So the only thing you'll be missing out on is the clear hair Minmei diorama, or the cockpit. Depending on your luck.

-Al

Yeah, hobbies suck (finances)

the term "Trading figures" probably has somthing to do with them being random

packaged

#2 is a little less in quality

but I Love the Mikimoto Minmay (in soft pastels)

Basara is pretty good too, bet Agent One takes his to bed :p

Thanks, guys. I feel better about it now.

But still... why did they have to do it this way? Couldn't they just sell them complete?

Because then they wouldn't have crazy folks buying multiple boxes to get that ever elusive "chase" figure they only have 50% chance of getting. I'm glad I got the cockpit, but now I'm pining for dark/clear haired Minmei. The solid wash one looks... funky.

I'm not sure if dark-haired Minmei is supposed to be a "chase" figure, but she's as much of one as the cockpit, since they're both rarer than the rest, and neither are sure bets even if you buy a box (not to mention dark Minmei just looks better).

-Al

For what its worth...$75 = $7.50 per figure. You can snag individuals on Ebay. MW, and elsewhere for about $9-$15 a piece while they are out. So...your paying up to more then 100% of the cost...but your getting the ones you want. I wanted one of each, so it made sense to buy the set...now...for set 1...if you waited (like me) your watching the Miinmeis and Hikarus go for twice that (and more) and kicking yourself.

Also...while my wife says they are gay (as am I for collecting them I guess) (not that there is anything wrong with that! ) I think they are neat. Nicely painted, and fun....nice addition to my shelves for sure. ..I will say I was a little disapointed in Roys hair...he may end up wearing a helmet mostly...

Quick answer as to why it's done randomly like this:

$$$

Another way to think of it is like baseball cards. Think of how many people would love to just get the baseball cards they WANT rather than go to the trouble of sifting, trading and hoping to get! :)

But I'm totally wih you, I WISH they didn't do it either, especially at their price points.

But several Japanese toy companies currently are, and I just deal with it. Simply, as long as we keep paying for it, they'll keep doing it.

But damn that chase cockpit is sweeeet!

I love mine! B))

Edited by dr_vandermeer

For $75 you get 2 full sets in a box. One set has normal colored hair, the other has clear hair.  The chase figure screws up the set by eliminating one figure.  Which figure?  I dunno, I didn't get a damn chase.

You can ask Bob, you can try Todd, but I heard Gilbert is out.

That's it, EXO!!

I'M CALLING YOU OUT!!

You good for nothing PVC apologist. And don't you go dragging Bob, Todd and Gilbert into this, cuz they won't save your ass. So, seeing as I've got 2 weeks vacation time, I'm comming over to your house and we're gonna...uhhh....fight and....stuff. Yeah.

That's it, EXO!!

I'M CALLING YOU OUT!!

You good for nothing PVC apologist. And don't you go dragging Bob, Todd and Gilbert into this, cuz they won't save your ass. So, seeing as I've got 2 weeks vacation time, I'm comming over to your house and we're gonna...uhhh....fight and....stuff. Yeah.

:lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant.

Touché!

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by dr_vandermeer

That's it, EXO!!

hey you forgot the little '>' & '<' in my name.

I'M CALLING YOU OUT!!

There's no reason to use 14 pt. font!

You good for nothing PVC apologist.

Did you know PVC stood for polyvinyl chloride?

And don't you go dragging Bob, Todd and Gilbert into this, cuz they won't save your ass.

Well from what I heard Todd and Gilbert like ass... a lot! you know what I mean?

So, seeing as I've got 2 weeks vacation time, I'm comming over to your house and we're gonna...uhhh....fight and....stuff. Yeah.

1-2-3-4... I declare a thumb war...

Allo, my name is Inigo Montoya... you keeled my father... preepare to die...

Why do I have to play Hurin? I don't like it... I might get Carpal Tunnel!

I thought I was using the shorter form, like how you shorten your friend "Jason" to "Jay." I guess we're not friends anymore...

*sniff*

Actually, Jason doesn't like being called Jay... rhymes with gay... ^_^

I thought I was using the shorter form, like how you shorten your friend "Jason" to "Jay." I guess we're not friends anymore...

*sniff*

Sure we are... I have tons of friends who take off 2 weeks off work to come kick my ass

*sniff*

I can only quote this part... you're not giving me much to work with here... <_<

*sniff*

speaking of short, did you see the cannons on that monster? :o

I think Agent one is about to lay the smack down on a few candy asses. :o

I got the cms collection 2 and got 3 minmay's. One Dark haired and 2 light haired. No Chase figure, and No clear haired Misa.

I dont think the CMS sets deserve such harsh criticism. Of all the "random" trading figures being sold now, they are the most predictable.

A sealed box will always contain a full set of normal hair(baring packaging errors) You only miss out on a clear hair/alternate if you get the chase. They are also packaged in a set order so you can pick exactly the figure you want. Even the chase figure is easy to pick out.

And the clear hair variants are much better than the bronze/metalic/all clear variants that other sets have. Very easy to paint the hair if you dont mind about the collectors value.

The one valid gripe I have seen is the below average quality of the paint job, especially set 2. Oh yeah, and Roys face.

Bariaburu Faita

After CMs 1 and 2, I have figured out the cheapest way to get the figures. :) (I paid a hefty sum for part 1. You'll think I would have learnt for part 2, but I'm a slow learner. :p)

If you are interested in all ten figures, preorder a box of 10 with a Japanese webstore of your choice asap, ship by SAL (slow but much cheaper) and pray that you don't get the secret figure. Then buy the secret figure separately (~US$30).

The reason to preorder is to avoid a out-of-stock situation. However, part 2 is still around after two months, this may not be a problem anymore. Part 1 was sold out the day it was released?

Opened figures are going to be more expensive. Paying a premium makes no sense because the packing order is so predictable. (Let's hope it keeps that way for part 3 and onwards.)

If you got the secret figure, it might be harder to buy the loose figure that you missed out on, but it can be done.

If you are interested in just the normal figures, it's cheaper to buy opened sets, although you pay a slight premium. Box of ten = 5800 yen = US$52.93. Set of 5 = $26.47. Opened sets = $25 to $35.

The Japanese like doing these trading figure things.

Whats cool is when most of them that do get an an American release are released, its on blister cards so you know what you get.

Because Hasbro loves us more than Takara does. (See Heroes of Cybertron and the Kay Bee toy exclusive Micromaster set. Both were blind buy trading sets in Japan. Cuz they suck like that. As does Medicom with Kubricks. Mezco lets me see what Alien toys I get that are cute.. Medicom does not...)

Okay, what's with this random figure crap? If I'm going to pay $74.99 for a bunch of figurines, then I better be able to PICK them. I mean, come on? WTF? What the hell is his, a McDonald's Happy Meal?? Am I supposed to trade with Bob, Todd and Gilbert over the net to get the ones I want - and ONLY - want?

$74.99 and I don't get to pick. That's pretty sad. It better come with a family platter of Spicy Tuna Rolls!

(and how good are they anyways? Sorry, I didn't have the time to read through the 500,000 posts to find this... so, please, someone tell me...)

Thanks in advancement.

you got it all wrong,, for $74.99 you do get to pick,, you get 10 figures for that $74.99,

For series 1, pretty much if you get the chase Minmay doll then you'll lose the clear hair Singing Minmay. That's what happen to me. Should of order 2 cases instead.

I learn my lesson and got 2 cases for the Series 2, and The case figure replace a Minmay again,, but since i got 2 case this time,, ( 20 figures) I got a complete set of 2 solid/ 1clear hair, plus the chase and dark color minmay and some extras.

So for $74.99 you do get to choose. :)

I AM CALLIN ALL YOU FOOLS OUT!

You guys should get the REAL action figure... The ACTION figure that gets ALL the ACTION:

post-25-1087002684.jpg

hahah, so where's the accessories? :p:D:lol:

Then there's a solid colored hair Minmei diorama, and a clear hair Minmei diorama.

You always get the solid colored hair Minmei diorama in every case.

There's also a VF-1 cockpit "chase" figure, which is pretty darned neat. If you get that, it replaces the clear hair Minmei diorama. So the only thing you'll be missing out on is the clear hair Minmei diorama, or the cockpit. Depending on your luck.

Actually my chase figure replaced the "normal" hair Minmei. Which was, of course, the one I wanted, but yeah, that's basicly how it works.

Actually my chase figure replaced the "normal" hair Minmei. Which was, of course, the one I wanted, but yeah, that's basicly how it works.

Wasn't it mentioned here before that the solid color Minmay is the variant? :)

You can always air-brush to the solid color.. :)