macross perfect memory

blackjek

Here's the item

book i bidded and won

With all due respect for the owner, i'm not saying he con me or anything. And even as a bootleg if it is one, the printing is great. But can some reaffirm me if this book is bootleg or not??

Well first it looks very new. From the cover, which i think is in lighter blue and slight metallic silver?

from what i understand of bootlegs they do not come with poster and they have the number 10 on the cover. mine has a number 8 and comes with cover

the only reason why i question its authenticity is because at the last page there's a peroferated postcard saying: YES [] i want more info blah blah blah.... and its totally in nglish and addressed to california??? :blink:

dun get it. :(

well, from what I can tell it looks original. The bootlegs all come with the paper belt thingy on the cover, and that one doesn't. Another way you can tell if it's a boot or not, is if the cover is a pretty thin paper type cover. The original cover is pretty thick and heavy stock type of paper. Other than that, I've noticed nothing else to tell them apart. Hope this helps. Can you scan in that last page? I need to see what your talking about. Thanx

u refering to the book cover? or the cover page of the book? well anyway both are thick. only dubious part left will be the last page. will upload it when i get a digi cam. dun have it now . thanks bobe!

Sorry, I meant the book cover. If it's pretty thick, then you gots the original. I'm pretty sure it's the original. :p:D:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okies guys! I have took pics of the book. With english text and california address on a seemingly original perfect memory book from the 1980s??? :blink:

For those curious and those learned. Please take a look and give some comments as to whether this is a authentic or a bootleg. Thanks!!

post-2-1088073678.jpg

maybe this book was distributed to some bookstores in the US. And this could be the US version. If there ever was one. :p:D:lol:

do you think HG could've released this book back in the day before they actually turned macross tv series into apart of the robotech saga?

i'm just asking since some production companies have a tendency to release products before the movie or tv show even makes it to the theaters or tv screen

it's a possibility, right? :unsure:

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

do you think HG could've released this book back in the day before they actually turned macross tv series into apart of the robotech saga?

i'm just asking since some production companies have a tendency to release products before the movie or tv show even makes it to the theaters or tv screen

it's a possibility, right? :unsure:

No I doubt that. Why not release the book in English then? There were no HG Macross PM books back in the day...I know.. I'm from "back in the day" lol :lol: I've had my copy since 1985. I sold off my other copy that I had since 1994. Neither of them had that card. That post card looks too new.

also the original book was printed in Japan. Why would you send the post card back to CA? And it wasn't printed in 1987 like that post card implies.

Edited by dejr8bud

Even with the postcard, the book may still be authentic.

The address on the card belongs to a company called Books Nippan, which was a distributor of Japanese books. This is where I bought quite a few of my own Macross books back in the mid-80s. They used to have an anime fan club back then, and I do believe they had a legitimate project to translate Perfect Memory in the 80s.

I may be wrong, but I do think that Books Nippan may have been owned by Shogakukan, the Japanese company that printed many of the Macross books.

As I said earlier, one of the ways to tell bootlegs from legitimate ones is by the silver color used to color the SDF-1 and destroids. On legitimate books, the silver is shiny and metallic-looking and looks as if it was painted on. On the bootlegs, the silver just looks like a plain gray with no shininess.

yeah the postcard is attached to it. But given the print and paper quality + poster, I'll go with Beltane70 explanation AND even if its a bootleg, whoever did it have some bootlegging talent. DUn think anyone here can say for sure if its real or fake :)

anyway, if it was a bootleg, then it would definitly come with the silver belt on the cover. There's no point in taking off that little belt. The older ones should've came with one too, but I guess a lot of people threw them away or it just tore off easy due to it's age. And again, the bootleg outter cover is thin and the original's is thick. I have both and looked over them several times. So what you have is original just distributed by a japanese company in the US. So there you have it. Either way, you paid little compared to how much I paid for my original several years ago. :p:D:lol:

I believe that this PM Book is a bootleg.

The only books that officially have been translated to English are this:

tiamacross.jpg

Ahhh and "Haruhiko Mikimoto Collections" :p

All this books have been published by Books Nippan.

If you find them in some store or convention, Get it all!!! This books are very rare :rolleyes:

Edited by Shaloom

I believe that this PM Book is a bootleg.

The only books that officially have been translated to English are this:

tiamacross.jpg

Ahhh and "Haruhiko Mikimoto Collections"  :p

All this books have been published by Books Nippan.

If you find them in some store or convention, Get it all!!! This books are very rare :rolleyes:

These were neither English translations nor published by Books Nippan (I bought them directly from Books Nippan when they first advertised them). Shogakukan reprinted them in 1990. The reply cards in them were also in Japanese, not in English like the Perfect Memory book that started this thread.

I have that same edition of PM, talked to a friend of mine who works at a local anime shop about it, not where I bought it. He said that it is legit, just a later printing. They were sold in the US, somehow got in under the HG radar, just like Clash of Bionoids did. The postcard was in relation to an attempted translation of the book, but due to the cost of doing so and HG finding out about it, the project was nipped in the bud. It's too bad too it would have been nice to ahve seen a translation. A friend of mine was going to translate it for me, but I moved out of town for my job before he could, that project was going to insanely huge though, including scanning in all the artwork pages to put the translations in over the original text. And yes I was going to pay him for it.

wooo what an confusing arrays of reply. yeah the book is not translated... getting me more confuse to real nature of it but really thanks to all who have gave comments. There's been lots of evidence pointing to an authetic version.

the one and only reason for it possibly being a bootleg i guess would be the post card.

hmmm a later printing? meaning besides 1984, 1987, there;s a later printing and there's where this version of PM came from? first time i heard of it.

Regardless wat. Thanks guys!! :)