Good News MGS fans

I certainly hope ir's awesome. The first game was awesome. I just don't know what happened when it came time to make the second. The gameplay wasn't bad, I didn't even mind the fact that you played as someone other than Solid throughout most of the game, but the story was inexcusably bad.

I certainly hope ir's awesome. The first game was awesome. I just don't know what happened when it came time to make the second. The gameplay wasn't bad, I didn't even mind the fact that you played as someone other than Solid throughout most of the game, but the story was inexcusably bad.

the story was kinda good til the ending...

Hmmm i actually liked the story of the second mgs , i like the way it became something of mindtwist at the end. I am however glad snake is back in the pilots seat. Hopefully the story will lead up to whatever happened to snake and otakon at the end of 2.

I didn't like 2. Snake became some sort of one of those GI JOE guys who gave moral advice at the end of each cartoon. Its so cheesy. I selectively censored all that crap he said in the end and what the whole MGS2 was about that I forgot what exactly he said. But I think it was something along the lines of "we as human beings are not alone". I CAN'T FREAKING REMMEMBER!

And I don't even understand the *!@&(!*%@$ plot. Something about Yoolayooweiloo (which was never explained) and "reenactment" of the Shadow Moses incident and Metal Gear whatitsname under the petrol platform with an army of Rays......bah....i'm just babbling. I'm sorry but I understand NOTHING from MGS2.

:angry:

MGS's story got really, really good. Then got incredibly, incredibly stupid. It turned into Chris Carter, X-Files fare... where there were so mean twists that the creator didn't know how to tie up, and it became obvious he was writing from his butt.

This here video actually looks pretty good. It's obvious you're playing as Big Boss... I hope the mindscrew is that after Big Boss goes Russian (which is what it looks like), you *do* get to play as "our" Snake, in modern times, later on in the game. I can dream.

-Al

I saw this @ E3 And can't Stop waching the trailer i think is going to be better then MGS2

can't wait for the game to come out, hope we get a x box version whit beter grafics and 720 P Suport , but all i can do is dream the game so far is only a ps2 title well hope they use the progresive scan ps2 and make the game paly on 720 p , by then i hope i will have a new dlp tv .

Man I have that video, I downloaded it, but it's been captured ala-pirated movie, somebody at E3 is holding the camera so you hear all the comotion of the LA Con Center. I really liked both games, I never played the original MGS on the PSOne, just the excellent rehash on the Gamecube which is awesome. I would have liked something similar to Gray Fox's last stand in MGS2. I'm still baffeled as to how Liquid ended up being part of Ocelot especially when Ocelot took his severed arm with him after Gray Fox chopped it off with his cool Katana. ;)

the story was kinda good til the ending...

The moment "THE HAND" made it's frightfully cheesy, B movie appearance, I wanted to storm out of the theatre. Unfortunately, videogames don't come in theatres to storm out of, and it was a friend's copy so I couldn't demand my money back.

Hmmm i actually liked the story of the second mgs , i like the way it became something of mindtwist at the end. I am however glad snake is back in the pilots seat. Hopefully the story will lead up to whatever happened to snake and otakon at the end of 2.

Mt problem with the story of the second game was that it tried to be a mind twist, but failed miserably. The plot itself was actually fairly simple and easy to follow, this even despite the awkward attempts to use a warped audio track, and ADD flashes of imagery and poor camera angles to try and give the impression that it was deep, twisted, and layered with wheels within wheels of conspiracy. Added to this were plot elements and character actions that made no sense whatsoever, exactly why did Big Boss and Raiden have to do their little dance? No real explanation, just more pseudopsych BS. The HAND was completely and utterly rediculous in and of itself destroying any credibility the game has of having anything remotely resembling a good story.

Real mind benders can be unravelled with a little thought, and paying attention to the clues thrown at you, this game escaped being explainable, trying to put itself in a position of looking like a complex psych plot by implementing completely nonsensical elements. Explanations brought forth in the big "revelation" portion of the story had no logic to them and were left at that, with no rational behind them.

Why does Chewbacca, an 8 foot wookie live on Endor with 3 foot ewoks. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this does not make sense. Lookit the monkey! LOOKITTHEMONKEY!!!!

Edited by Radd

Yeah, saw that awhile ago, it's one of the best and worst trailers for MGS3. Because it has lots of spoilers in this one. We'll get to pay as Snake, but not solid snake, but Big boss himself. I guess this is the turning point for why he turn out the way he did later in life. I wonder would they place the first 2 NES Metal Gear games as a extra. :rolleyes:

I still waiting for a remake of the fist NES "Metal GEAR",, hmm, maybe that's gonna be Metal Gear Solid 4

The original metal gear WASN'T on NES, it was on the Japanese MSX system and was far superior to the NES/Famicom version (only area where the NES version had a leg up was on the colors)

Ok, here's a brief rundown of MG history for those who may not be in the know:

MSX:

- Metal Gear

- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (still the best in the series)

NES

- Metal Gear (similar to the MSX release, but different plot and instead of fighting the actual metal gear, you get to fight *gasp* a SUPERCOMPUTER....)

- Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge (this poor piece of trash isn't even a part of the continuity. It was produced by Konami of America... Hideo Kojima had nothing to do with it)

PSX:

- Metal Gear Solid ('nuff said... good game)

PS2:

- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (say what you will, the game kicked ass)

All next-gen consoles:

- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substinance (same game as SOL, but several side games added)

Game Cube:

- Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (excellent remake of the PSX game)

There are some gameboy titles, but I've not messed with those, and so far as I know, they're not part of Hideo Kojima's plot line.

Sons of Liberty OWN3D all the way up until the last 5 minutes or so (when it stopped being a game and became a movie). I was actually glad to see another hero dragged into the mix... it helps to see that there's more than one person fighting for the right cause. Even if the "Jack/Rose" titanic parody is overdone, I thought both characters were well done, all things considered. And going head to head with multiple Metal Gear RAYs is a challenge (even if you can beat it the same way you beat REX in MGS)

I was worried for a bit that this "special cammo" thing would be way overdone in MGS3 (to the point of becoming more of a focus than anything else), but beyond that I'm very enthusiastic about it. It'll be neat to see some backstory and see just how Big Boss came to control the original "outer heaven"

Did they remove the "eat to survive" feature that they were so proud of? No paper cardboxes here, but welcome the Aligator suit. :lol:

I loved the trailer. Can't wait to see it. And big spoiler that the Snake you play isn't Solid Snake. OoOoOhhh, was totally not expecting that. Good stuff.

Now...is there a way that I can download this trailer, not streaming it?

THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE FSKING AMAZING!!! Personally I didn't like MGS:2 for one reason only. Raiden. He destroyed the entire game with his wussyness. Btw, does anyone know what kind of helocopter those were? At first i thought they were hinds, but the cockpit was wrong. Also, what was up with those hover things?

Okay ... was that Sniper Wolf? I mean, they didn't show her except for a second, but I'll be damned if it didn't look exactly like her ... And young Ocelot looks dumb ... But other than that I think it looks aprettypretty good. And the dude who looks like Raiden ... time travel??

There are some gameboy titles, but I've not messed with those, and so far as I know, they're not part of Hideo Kojima's plot line.

One.

A GameBoy Color game called Metal Gear: Ghost Babel(renamed "Metal Gear Solid" in America to confuse people).

As I understand it, it's a transitional game, to fill in the gap between Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid(and clean a few plot inconsistencies up)

I never played either of the games, so I don't know anything about the story. After seeing the trailer, I have one question. What's with the gay nut grabbing at the end? I mean, why the hell would that need to be in a video game?

Grey Fox would be a kid at this time.... if he was even born yet. I doubt he'll make an appearance. The Sniper Wolf like girl, and Raiden like guy could probably be gene donors to the future Wolf and Raiden. If Snake was a biproduct of Big Boss' genes, there's a huge possibility that some FOXHOUND members were also made through cloning(?). And I don't know, but girl-with-horse looks like Fortune.

And about the crotch grabbing part, its yet to be revealed cause even in MGS 2, Raiden's crotch was grabbed by the President, cuz he thinks Raiden is a girl and then found out he was wrong. So this reprisal in MGS 3 made me ROFLMAO!

PS: Isn't it quite depressing for "The Major" that throughout all the games, his beloved Anti-terrorists special forces FOXHOUND (forgot the exact name) members always turns into terrorists?

Raiden a wuss??? The man faced down an assload of Metal Gear Rays and managed to fight off ex-members of Foxhound. What does it take to impress you people??

Seriously, just because a guy can fall in love and have doubts about something (read: be anything other than Macho, big-nuts Solid Snake) doesn't make him a wuss. If all hell started breaking loose and he ran and hid (or just said "F-it" and left the oil rig), THEN he would've been a wuss..

I think people are hating Raiden for the wrong reasons. He functions just like snake in the game, he does everything Snake can do (At least he HAS a girlfriend... Snake does nothing but trash relationships. He did with Holly White back on Zanzibar, and the official storyline of MGS says he left Maryl to die/saved Otakon).

If you hate him because he's not Solid Snake, then SAY SO... don't make up other excuses.

Umm, if you play on the highest difficulty setting, Raiden faces off against far more than 5 or 6. (I think it's closer to 10)

as far as MGS is concerned, regardless of whether or not you "SUCK" (nice intelligent answer... I would add than in order to get both bonus items, you have to defeat the game both ways). The continuity says Meryl didn't make it (even though the game has 2 endings, Konami chose the Otakon ending as the official one for story purposes)

Snake does nothing but trash relationships. He did with Holly White back on Zanzibar, and the official storyline of MGS says he left Maryl to die/saved Otakon).

UGH!

Makes me glad I don't own MGS2.

The # of times I retried that scene because my rapid-fire skills were unpolished and I refused to let her die was... well, more than I care to count.

And they're gonna just snatch it away?!?!

SNAKE IS NOT THAT KIND OF GUY! I SAID SO! YOU WILL NOT MAKE A MOCKERY OF ME!

lol, face the truth, man! Sniper Wolf own3d Meryl (and she could own me any time she wanted). ha! you can't handle the truth! :)

Yes, but Wolf's head got blown open like a water balloon.

Meryl lived.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT KONAMI SAYS!

Besides, this isn't about who's hotter. It's about Snake submiting to torture and letting an ally be murdered.

The continuity says Meryl didn't make it (even though the game has 2 endings, Konami chose the Otakon ending as the official one for story purposes)

That would contradict Hideo Kojima. In issue 54 of PSM, page 19, he said "Meryl is not dead. Meryl did not make it into the game because I wanted to highlight the relationship between Otacon and Snake."

I know that Snake Tales in MGS2: Substance aren't Canon, but Meryl is mentioned in those. Also how hard would it have been for Snake to meet up with Otacon after Shadow Moses?

Edit: And I did all of this work in MGS: Twin Snakes to use the PSG-1T to fight Wolf hoping maybe she wouldn't be killed, but no, she still got wasted.

Edited by ArchVile