Just got my Q-Rau

fearyaks

So I've been hoarding Yamatos for a bit now (only displaying a few) and when I decided to pull the trigger on a Q-Rau I knew that it would be displayed. Having read that it was more on par with the 1/60's I definately expected something that was of a simlar size.

This puppy is almost as big as my 1/48's and the only thing that convinces me that it shouldn't be a 1/48 (remember, I'm kind of a newbie w/regards to Macross) is that the Millia pilot is kinda smaller.

Sorry if this was a pointless thread. I hope to get a good display going with my 1/60s but those stands.. .shoot, they could almost buy me a 1/48!

I've set it up with my Super-Max 1/60 and I couldn't setup a CF such that it was getting crushed so that one is just swooping in. Had to do some re-organizing as I don't have an 'offical' display area in our extra bedroom. It's still pretty large though. I'll have to watch DYRL again to compare scales.

it's the wrong max but it'll suffice. What you need is the 1/48 max DYRL colors and slap on the VF-1S head. Then you'll be golden! :p:D:lol:

I got mine the other day and its too tall to stand on my Valk shelf !

Just a quick question, is it supposed to come with a sticker sheet / instruction book ??

Mine didnt, i know its less complex than a valk but this seemed a little strange

Not to start any thing. But the whole 1\60 scale of the Q-rau is just not right to me. I think it leans a little more on the 1/48. I know, I've seen all the stuff that says it's a 1/60 but I'm just not completely convinced. In some scene in DYRL the Q is just a little bigger than a Battloid. And the pilots inside don't have alot of room. When the one was shot down and she came out, It was a tight fit. Thats all. :)

Not to start any thing. But the whole 1\60 scale of the Q-rau is just not right to me. I think it leans a little more on the 1/48. I know, I've seen all the stuff that says it's a 1/60 but I'm just not completely convinced. In some scene in DYRL the Q is just a little bigger than a Battloid. And the pilots inside don't have alot of room. When the one was shot down and she came out, It was a tight fit. Thats all. :)

males don't pilot the Q-rau, just the females, the guys have a diffrent kind of power suit that they wear, they don't "slip into it" the way the girls do.

the guys arms go down into the arms of the suit, their legs go into the legs of the suit. its alot smaller than the Q-rau.

look at it this way:

the Q-rau is something like a tiny mech that the girls "pilot"

the male "battle armor" is more like 'armor' the guy wears.

i think thats how it goes.

you need to give some room for animation error... besides it hard to get a good sense of size unless you can compare with something your eye understands, or if the two are posed right next to each other...

Kinda like the enterprise D and romulan bird of prey (off topic, I know) but the bird of prey is twice the size of the enterprise but in the show, you'd never know it.

OFF TOPIC ALERT!;)

Not a Trekkie, but I thought Bird of Prey were the Klingons, not Romulans?

I believe he`s talking about the D'deridex-Class Warbird that appears in ST TNG. Sometimes called a bird of prey. The B`Rell class Bird of prey that you see in the early ST movies IS a Klingon ship, but based on a Romulan design. Later on you see huge Klingon Bird of Preys in TNG, but those are K`vort class cruisers.

This is a case of lazy CGI animators scaling up ship designs to make new ships. This also happens alot in Macross and other Anime. Usualy by accident though, not to make new ships.

I believe he`s talking about the D'deridex-Class Warbird that appears in ST TNG. Sometimes called a bird of prey. The B`Rell class Bird of prey that you see in the early ST movies IS a Klingon ship, but based on a Romulan design. Later on you see huge Klingon Bird of Preys in TNG, but those are K`vort class cruisers.

I don't think the Warbird was ever called a Bird of Prey. The main Romulan ship that was seen in the original series was called a Bird of Prey however. This is the one that has a main saucer-like section with two "wings' extending off of either side with the engines on the end, and a large orangish bird painted onto the bottom.

This is a case of lazy CGI animators scaling up ship designs to make new ships. This also happens alot in Macross and other Anime. Usualy by accident though, not to make new ships.

It was really bad in Babylon 5 also. Not so much scaling ships up or down on purpose and calling them something new, but just inconsistent scaling in general.

Anyway.

Based on photos I've seen of the toys the Q-Rau looks about right (in terms of scale) next to the 1/60 Valks to me. I know there's the whole 1/48 obsession (with good reason I will admit) but the 1/60 looks right to me in this case.