Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Having seen the movie, and with Prisoner of Azkaban being my favorite of the series thus far, I can truthfully say...MEH.

IMHO, here are the following.....

Highlights...

David Thewlis - Lupin

Gary Oldman - Sirius Black

Emma Thompson - Trelawney

Buckbeak, and the other assorted special effects.

Low Points...

Michael Gambon as Dumbledore....big shoes to fill, too big in fact, and he didn't even come close.

New Director - He should have stuck with Y Tu Mama Tambien.

The lack of certain effects, like an obvious pipe in a fountain that by all rights should be magic, and require no pipe, and butterfly stitches over a cut on Hermione's face when there is a nurse in the school that heals that kind of stuff on the spot.

All in all, a good movie, but by far the worst yet of the Potter series.

Just got home from seeing it myself about an hour ago. I feel the same as you do about this movie. I did find it enjoyable, but the second is my favorite of the lot so far. I wonder how Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will turn out?

By the way, I really loved the Dementors. Great effects on those guys.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Dissapointing to hear, still, it sounds like it will be enjoyable, just not as much as the previous two. I loved the book (except for how she turned Snape into a gimpish idjit. wich I'm glad he was not in the following book). Still, book 4 was the high point of the series so far, I absolutely can't wait to see that one in film form.

I loved the movie. I think they have been getting better and better. You don't really expect comedy, but these kids can really pull it off.

I love Emma Watson. She's so cute.

(I say that in a big brotherly kind of way, by the way.)

Hell, I came to this movie all dressed up as Thomas M. Riddle, with the shirt and the Slytherin tie, and a wand built in the machine shop, and lit.

And a cloak. A black cloak. My Voldemort was in the transitional stage, where he was changing from Tom Riddle to Voldemort.

They hacked the book up pretty seriously in this one (it deviates the most from any of them so far), but as a movie, I have to say it was the best. I've always loved Gary Oldman's acting (see "Immortal Beloved" or "5th Element" for some of his other work), and I was excited to see him here.

The only real thing I could see that I thought destroyed the story was the fact that they're already alluding to a possible attraction between Ron and Hermione, when in the books the first spark of Ron's interest doesn't show up until after the dance in book #4. The new Dumbledore IS seriously subpar. The only person who could've probably filled Sir Richard Harris' shoes in this role is (ironically enough) Ian McKellen (a.k.a. "Gandalf")

The minimal amount of Quidditch was also regrettable, but it didn't detract from the movie too bad. Although VASTLY different from previous installments, I thought John Williams did an excellent job on the movie score.

I loved the movie-specific wisecracks they added in. Although cheesy as they usually are, I think it was just enough.

The director had some issues, but I WILL say this in his defense. Unlike the last guy, he spent a great deal LESS time showing panoramic facial shots (ok, Harry was awed at his new situation and environment in the first one, but by #2, I'd say he was taking it for granted)

LOL, Emma Watson is gonna be a hottie someday when she grows up, I just imagine it. :)

...I haven't read any of the Harry Dorker books...

Dude, if you're not even a fan, what the hell are you doing dumping on our movies?

No offense, but unless you actually have some experience with it, I don't think you should be making opinions about it.

Edited by Stamen0083

...I haven't read any of the Harry Dorker books...

Dude, if you're not even a fan, what the hell are you doing dumping on our movies?

No offense, but unless you actually have some experience with it, I don't think you should be making opinions about it.

You're right, I forgot to edit the "Dorker" thing, before posting, however with the experience comment I did saw the first movies and you already know my opinion,maybe to me my reply didn't sound insulting or the similar, well, I wasn't trying to "dump" here, just put my opinion, I really think a lot of movies lately are bad because the exitement or even the soul of the book was wasted on the movie, In any case I'll edit the above posting, no flame wars from my part for now, I'm already sick of the Macross 7 ones. See ya later folks!

:)

I watched the first movie, found it dull

Watched the second movie, found it fun & exciting enough for me to enjoy it quite abit

Never bothered reading any of the books...

You guys think I should go see it now or wait & rent it cause I could go either way on this one

From the sounds of it

It lacks specail effects where needed

Chops up the story of the book pretty badly ( no big deal there since I havn't read it)

& has replacement acters who are no where near the standards of the ones in the original two

Edited by Synch

Could someone that saw this movie tell me if the Trailer of "The Aviator" came with this movie?

That might be the only reason for to see this, didn't really like all that much the first one, haven't even seen the second one.

Richard Harris (Dumbledore) was the only one replaced.

Synch, it's probably the BEST in terms of being a standalone movie (IMHO). There's not much in the way of downtime (I thought the first two movies suffered from a serious case of "get on with it" syndrome). All of the key events from the book are in the movie (and nothing large and deliberate happens that ISN'T in the book).

Basically, if you go in expecting it to "loosely" follow the book, you'll be ok. Expect it to be like the first one (which I believe was recorded of leaving only around 7 pages of the book out), you'll be dissapointed.

Go see it! It's a different twist, but mayhap it'll be for the better!

Ladic, all of the previews I saw were pretty much a waste of time (I mean c'mon... someone liked "Princess Diaries" enough to make a SEQUEL?!) There was a preview for a CG Christmas movie due out this fall (with a VERY well computer-drawn Tom Hanks)... it looked remotely interesting for the animation, but the story didn't catch me. "The Aviator" was nowhere to be found.

Edited by Skull Leader

Just got back from the 10 40 showing.... I liked the Knight Bus but but I wish they did more with it.... What I DIDNT like was how they turned Hagrids Hut and the Whomping Willow all round Higildy Pigildy geographicy was all messed up..

Buck Beak rocked.. it was kind of a Shock to See the Kids look all grown up espically Harry and Malfoy (looks like a few Some ones have been visited by the Pewberty fairy) all in all it was good Garry Old Man was the Shiznit as always...

7 1/2 Broom Sticks outa 10

This is the best movie so far of the franchise.

It's also the longest story yet of the franchise and there was bound to be some stuff that got trimmed or reworked for the movie's sake.

Things I liked -

More inventive camera work and realistic settings in the first 10 minutes than the other 2 movies combined. Cuaron lets the kids seem more realistic than Columbus ever did and his camera work is more artistic and far, far less Speilberg.

Better acting. All of the kids are better, but real surprises here in some of the new characters. Oldman's Black is better than I would have imagined. All at once looney, fierce, and sad as hell. Thewlis' Lupin is equally well played and he's a far less exciting character.

Now as far as Dumbledore... nobody can fill Richard Harris' shoes. He's sorely missed here... but I respect the new guy's playing him a bit differently. Maybe in the next few movies I'll be more into him.

As far as the claim to bad effects... sorry, Mechamaniac... but I didn't see any. I thought the effects looked better and far, far, far less "stagey" than the previous installments. I didn't see any of the Mary Poppinsy crap that Columbus seemed to do in the magic parts.

Hell, one noticeable way the effects are better - All of the pictures that move look far more realistic and cool than the ones in the first two.

Either way... my only real complaint is that Cuaron isn't directing the next one.

And those of you not liking that they changed the book... Goblet of Fire is gonna have to be MAJORLY reworked to be a single movie. Order of the Phoenix even more so.

From this point forward... think of the books as a different animal entirely.

Edited by Blaine23

I noticed a lot of emphasis on muscial score in this movie. A lot of mickey mousing (sound cues timed with a specific movement or action in the film). The director seems to have a huge hard on for wide spread crane shots and special effects where the camera passes thru a pane of glass. I think he spent too much time on these useless shots of spectacle when he could have developed the plot more.

1. Lupin jsut knew how to use the Marauder's Map and Harry never questioned that.

2. No one ever mentioned that Sirrius was an Animagus (just assumed that in the world of the film) let alone that he was an unregistered animagus.

3. No one told Harry his father was an animagus too. Which also leads to the fact no explanation of the origins of the map. Like the names Padfoot, Mooney, Prongs, and Wormtail.

4. Since no one mentioned that James Potter was a stag so then why would Harry think his father was across the water.

5. I didnt like how the location of shooting changed. the past two movies had Hagrid's house across a flat field. Now it was down a steep slope.

6. The intro in Uncle Vernon's house seemed choppy and rushed.

jsut a few observations

Just got back from the 10 40 showing.... I liked the Knight Bus but but I wish they did more with it.... What I DIDNT like was how they turned Hagrids Hut and the Whomping Willow all round Higildy Pigildy geographicy was all messed up..

Buck Beak rocked..

The Knight Bus was well done overall. They could have portrayed the inside of it a little better, it was supposed to be much larger inside. But overall, it was cool, the only effect I wish they would have left in were the BANG!!, transitions since every time the bus did that, they wound up in another portion of the country.

The way they changed the location of the willow, and Hagrid's hut irked the crap out of me.

Buckbeak did indeed rock.

As far as the claim to bad effects... sorry, Mechamaniac... but I didn't see any. I thought the effects looked better and far, far, far less "stagey" than the previous installments. I didn't see any of the Mary Poppinsy crap that Columbus seemed to do in the magic parts.

Sorry, I didn't mean BAD effects. The effects were spectacular as usual. What I was referring to were the things that by all rights SHOULD have been magic that were not. Like the adhesive butterfly stitches on Hermoine's cheek when Madam Pomfrey would have just healed them on the spot.

And the slow panning shot past the fountain in the courtyard that they showed so much where you could see the pipe that the fountain sprung from when it SHOULD have been happening magically. The whole point of Hogwarts is that the whole place is enchanted, from the spells protecting the grounds to the ghosts that roam the halls etc.

While the effects were great, I think that the kids were too normal this time around. In each of the books, Harry is still in awe of the magic spells he comes across, the magic he witnesses, and the power of his own magic. In this movie, they seemed to start off saying, OK, we all know we're wizards, so let's just run around take it for granted, which is not how they did it in the books.

Now as far as Dumbledore... nobody can fill Richard Harris' shoes. He's sorely missed here... but I respect the new guy's playing him a bit differently. Maybe in the next few movies I'll be more into him.

Dumbledore was way off. Noone can fill Richard Harris's shoes to be sure. But my main problem is that Michael Gambon was almost not even there. Richard Harris was either very tall, or they made him out to be as Dumbledore. He was always the tallest person in every scene he was in, and rightfully so. Dumbledore is supposed to be very old, very tall, very thin, and command enourmous respect.

Michael Gambon did a fine job, but IMHO, they changed too much about Dumbledore's appearance, he was wearing very plain robes, he was far too animated since Dumbledore is supposed to be very ancient, and he just did not have the presence that Dumbledore should have had.

1. Lupin jsut knew how to use the Marauder's Map and Harry never questioned that.

2. No one ever mentioned that Sirrius was an Animagus (just assumed that in the world of the film) let alone that he was an unregistered animagus.

3. No one told Harry his father was an animagus too. Which also leads to the fact no explanation of the origins of the map. Like the names Padfoot, Mooney, Prongs, and Wormtail.

4. Since no one mentioned that James Potter was a stag so then why would Harry think his father was across the water.

5. I didnt like how the location of shooting changed. the past two movies had Hagrid's house across a flat field. Now it was down a steep slope.

6. The intro in Uncle Vernon's house seemed choppy and rushed.

Yes on all counts, though I was actually a little refreshed that they moved through the Dursley portion of the story rapidly. Rowling usually takes a good while to preface things in the books, when in this one it really wasn't necessary.

I loved the effect of the dementors, and Harry's patronus spell, (even though the stag is supposed to run around, and charge at the Dementors, not just stand there and glow, and blow them all away :angry: )

Gary Oldman was astounding, I knew he would be. Of course, by now, everyone knows what happens to Sirius in Book 5. So my wife was bawling every time Sirius was on the screen. :rolleyes: Snuffles the dog was good, but a little spindly. Rowling described it as being huge, "an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog."

David Thewlis was indeed awesome as Lupin, though I wasn't too fond of the Werewolf design.

Timothy Spall was the PERFECT choice for Pettigrew!.

Emma Thompson was great as Trelawney, but they dicked up her classroom. Rowling described it as being stiflingly hot, and IMHO, they could have gone a long way with a little artificial haze or something to make it look steamy, and the spiral staircase is off, supposed to be a ladder.

All in all, the end result of the movie was the same, but IMHO, this one did not do nearly as good a job as the previous films of "transporting you into that world". I know that's a hard concept to describe, but the Columbus films made me feel like a little kid when I watched them, I was in as much awe as Harry was. This one just didn't have that feeling.

Edited by Mechamaniac

(which I believe was recorded of leaving only around 7 pages of the book out)...

The records are wrong. Many things were left out of the first movie, which was understandable, but saying that only seven pages were left out is really pushing it by quite a bit.

The one major thing that bugged me about this movie is the coming of the Firebolt. The other is that the movie did not end the school year.

Edited by Stamen0083

Uh, since he's an unregistered Animagus, nobody knows that he can transform into a large dog. !SPOILER! It's how he kept most of his sanity (and the knowledge that he wasn't guilty) in Azkaban, by turning into a dog, and using his transformation to escape.

If everybody knew he was an unregistered Animagus, then in addition to his picture on the wanted poster, there would have been a picture of him as a dog.

I saw the movie on friday, and I really liked it. One thing I didn't like was the bit that they left out the whole secret-keeper buisness... But then again, my theater was really noisy, so I may have missed it.

I saw it last night, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I found it more engaging than Chamber of Secrets. Very good job.

Uh, since he's an unregistered Animagus, nobody knows that he can transform into a large dog. !SPOILER! It's how he kept most of his sanity (and the knowledge that he wasn't guilty) in Azkaban, by turning into a dog, and using his transformation to escape.

If everybody knew he was an unregistered Animagus, then in addition to his picture on the wanted poster, there would have been a picture of him as a dog.

I saw the movie on friday, and I really liked it. One thing I didn't like was the bit that they left out the whole secret-keeper buisness... But then again, my theater was really noisy, so I may have missed it.

oh yeah hehe. good point. But I felt there needed to be some unreveiling as to The four people on the map being animagus which then leads to Harry thinking that his father in across the lake.

Just barely got home from watching it......I really liked the film and the way that they presented it. I dont know living in American and all, but is that the way that British kids style their hair? Both Harry and Ron seemed a bit odd. But, I guess that is hollywood for you.

I hope that they still use all the same cast for the remaining films, as I think that they can pull off being 17 when they are in their 20's unless they really start trashing themselves up by being rich and famous stars and all the drugs and boose and wild living that follows...LOL (Carrie Fisher anyone?)

Twich

This Harry Potter film is the best. Cuaron's new direction is surprising. Hermione's parts were indeed bigger...

Here's a clip that was editted out... warning: large file...

clip

Edited by >EXO<

I liked it, but I also felt dissappointed by it. It felt like they were moving too far away from the magic of the place... a bit too 'real world', if you know what I mean.

I thought there were some parts that should have been included, but weren't. The movie just didn't flow for me, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the settings, I don't think the directot cuts it for me.

Dumbledore was way off. Noone can fill Richard Harris's shoes to be sure. But my main problem is that Michael Gambon was almost not even there. Richard Harris was either very tall, or they made him out to be as Dumbledore. He was always the tallest person in every scene he was in, and rightfully so. Dumbledore is supposed to be very old, very tall, very thin, and command enourmous respect.

Michael Gambon did a fine job, but IMHO, they changed too much about Dumbledore's appearance, he was wearing very plain robes, he was far too animated since Dumbledore is supposed to be very ancient, and he just did not have the presence that Dumbledore should have had.

I agree, but I just think anybody coming in and "playing Harris as Dumbledore" wouldn't have worked either... so it's pretty much a lose-lose situation. Nobody can fill Richard Harris' shoes. He's definitely missed. :(

David Thewlis was indeed awesome as Lupin, though I wasn't too fond of the Werewolf design.

I actually liked the werewolf design, although a few with me didn't. I'm usually a pretty tough judge of werewolves and my true fave is American Werewolf in London (the best, ever)... but this one seemed to fit in with HP "world"... too gruesome or large would've seemed wrong here.

Of course anything is better than the crap-ass videogame graphic centaur of the first film. BARF.

Timothy Spall was the PERFECT choice for Pettigrew!.

Agreed. Love him. But I did expect him to occasionally start blabbing about how rock stars need to blow off steam and have sex with multiple women and consume amazing amounts of drugs. That role for him Rock Star was just absolutely pitch perfect.

Emma Thompson was great as Trelawney, but they dicked up her classroom.  Rowling  described it as being stiflingly hot, and IMHO, they could have gone a long way with a little artificial haze or something to make it look steamy, and the spiral staircase is off, supposed to be a ladder.

Well... not everything is gonna be like the book. I liked the movie version enough not to really care about the difference.

All in all, the end result of the movie was the same, but IMHO, this one did not do nearly as good a job as the previous films of "transporting you into that world".  I know that's a hard concept to describe, but the Columbus films made me feel like a little kid when I watched them, I was in as much awe as Harry was.  This one just didn't have that feeling.

That's Columbus' style. It worked great for the first film, not so much for the second. That sense of innoncence and wonder really doesn't sustain itself through multiple movies and as the cast grows older. To me, the series is about moving from childhood to adulthood and I think this movie accomplishes a tough task of bringing them into believable 13-14 year olds... perhaps too abruptly, but to me it was a welcome change and a breath of fresh air.

As for all the animagus, unregistered animagus, background story stuff... it works fine in the book, but I think it would've weighed down the film unneccesarily. A brief sentence or two from Oldman about how he escaped would've been perfect, but since there was nothing, I'm imagined such a scene got cut from the final film.

The great thing about the books is that they totally leave room for that sort of thing to be explained in great detail. Such massive exposition in movies bores just about anybody but the rabid fans. The real story is about Harry and what he deals with and I thought Cuaron did a good job of keeping the focus there.

It was actually a good movie. But I think if the previous director tried so hard to give a series a reputation to be close to the source material then they should get someone that was more willing to do so. There's a great article on Entertainment Weekly and it seemed like they really held Cuaron from dismantling the whole look. He wanted to redesign Hogwarts from scratch. he fought really hard for the clock tower and the swinging pendelum, that served no purpose, even with the time jumping storyline. Even wizards should know that a pendelum in the middle of a busy hallway is architecturally not a good idea.

Cuaron is familiar with adoloscent fantasy though. Even if he was billed as the "Y tu mama tambien director" I think they chose him because of his movie The Little Princess.

BTW, my favorite werewolf was from The Howling. I'm partial to the bipedal ones. ;)