What's the most you've OVERpaid for a toy??

RicePiece

We've all seen posts on how much we've paid to support this valkaholism, and I don't really mind spending money on things I enjoy.

But it drives me nuts when I overpay for things.

Here's my story:

When the Yamato TRU VF-1A came out, I hmm'ed and haw'ed about getting it - finally after staring long enough at the pics of it on MW I decided that the CF was too cool to pass up. So I bought it - for $105US!

Last week I saw a MIB TRU 1A go on eBay for a whopping $26.01 (Link).

I guess in retrospect I paid to get the CF at that point in time rather than wait for the general release. I also paid for the better paint choice for the CF.

*sigh*

So, please share your tales of over-paying for stuff and let me know that I'm NOT alone in this!!!

Way..Way before the reissues were even anounced I paid $140.00 for a joons vf1j in the box, at the time that really was just about the going rate, in fact I lost an auction the day before I won the forementioned joons, for a joons WITH A JETFIRE NOSE, for $110.00. Unreal. I paid $90.00 for the TRU 1a and later got another for $45.00.

I guess it'd have to be my Soul of Popynica Space Cruiser Yamato (I think Drifand might agree with me on this). It was about one or two years ago when it was still selling for a decent price, to make a long story short I really wanted this item. I think I paid an extra $25 more than I originally wanted to, all in all the final price was around $135 (with shipping). The bad thing is that previous auctions for the SOP:SCY ended for much less..........

Oh well, you try finding the SOP:SCY for a decent price. B)

well, the only time I overpaid was when the first vf-1s bandai reissue came out. I paid 80 bucks for it and now it's only 40. I know it's not much, but that extra 40 could've bought me another bandai reissue! I guess the only reason why I was able to not overpay much is because I can wait till the prices go down. These toys will always be availble whether it's on these boards, toys stores, internet sites, or ebay. Having major patience is what I have learned these past years especially with the track record of these toys going down in price. On one occasion, I had to buy the max and miriya bandai reissues because everybody said that those were being made in low numbers. So I picked up a set for 150 at it's initial release. So as the days and months pass, I saw the prices of the M&M shoot up to like 250 a set. But just recently the prices have started to cool down to like 170 to 190 a set. That's still high. The funny thing is, I just went to frank and sons recently (9/3/03 wednesday to be exact) and to my surprise one of the vendors was carrying a set for 140!! I was like man, I could've bought those again and even for a cheaper price than what I paid! I know it was only a 10 dollar difference, but that 10 could have been put towards something else!! :p:D:lol:

Back in 1998 when I first gradauted from college and starting earning an income I rediscovered my childhood on ebay. Low and behold I found a Takatoku Super VF-1S and Bandai Super Ostrich. I decided I must have them and the final bid of something like $1200 each for those two Valks didn't seem too outrageous at the time. Both were complete and the boxes were in C8 condition. Fast foward to now and I see similar condition items for $400. No regrets though...okay a little.

Hmm, I wouldn't count buying something at the MSRP (like the Bandai reissues) as overpaying. If that's the case, then we all have overpaid on our cars. The most I've overpaid on something was the 1/100 YF-19 Battroid recast I bought for $50. I got it back in the day when any model of the YF-19 was scarce, so price wasn't really an issue. I ended up selling it on MW last year for $15. Better to get some of that money back rather than let it take up space on my shelf.

LOL... You guys got bent over :lol:

I try real hard to never pay retail myself so I will base overpayment factorially.. as in I bought two "macress" figures in box for$11 and $9.50 plus $7 shipping off poorly decribed ebay auctions from one seller, figure $27 total. As these things aren't worth the plastic they are almost made of I'd say they are worth maybe $1 each. As such I paid 12 1/2 times what they were worth!!!!!

I hang on to them so I don't get cocky again LOL.

Other than that... I guess the absalutely worst thing I ever got involved in is the $1000+ I've spent for a jetfire complete in box, and it won't even be complete till I get a G1 catalog :(

Granted... much of that money was spent buying additional jetfire lot's that had components I need so while I still have not completed the first... the second, a matshu, only needs the catalog as well, the next two in re-issue super boxes also only need the catalog, the next two [ in super boxes] after that only need the catalog and the tech spec decoder, and from there we go down the line to one needing a leg clip plus stuff mentioned before, one needing both leg clips, the gun clip, and everything afore-mentioned, to a few that are only worth doing spawn customs on. :lol:

In hindsight, I soooo should have just spent the $200 and got one complete in box at the get go LOL.

I d say the $65 i paid for my Hunter, Masterpiece, lol, no really maybe the grip i spent "investing" in joke machines when they are going for like half now , see post in toys by miks

did i miss something or did JM prices just crash. I remember when a boxed !1J max or milla would go for 150bucks each on ebay and The DYRL's would go for like 200 bucks. I'm glad I waited out. I got some killer scores tonight. Cheap Max Cheap milla.
Edited by orguss01

:p Hey! wait! :mellow: I..... I had a flashback.... :huh: Now .... I remember.... :unsure: Ohhh F*********K!!!!

I paid more than $60 for a pile of junk that used to be an Optimus Prime. It was one of my first bids I won (not eBay, btw) and I was very unexperienced in those things... :wacko: The fact to have won this item to other possible buyers made me very happy :blink::blink::blink: whatta stupid

I guess it was one of the worst experience I have had in auctions....

As soon as I remember where I dropped these bulk of garbage I will throw it in my basket trash.

icon8.gif

Haterist - Yeah what is up with old school cyclones. I grew up in SoCal but went to school in the Northeast but I remeber going to the Comic Coventions at the Shriner Auditorium in LA during the early to mid 90's and picking up the large scale Mospeada's for $20. These were the real deal Gakken Mospeada packaged toys and not the Henshin Robo repackages. Now I see them on ebay for no less than $150 in so so condition and over $200 for mint stuff. Maybe someone will re-issue the Mospeada stuff (unlikely) and watch the Mospeada market fall. BTW, if this isn't very coherant, the wife and I just got back from tailgating at the USC/UVA game.

I paid $300 for a complete Jetfire (box and everything) back in January 2000. Just a few months later, Kevin Lam was telling me of Yamato/Toycom starting up work on their VF-1 designs! :p

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have past on getting any Jetfires, but at the same time I'm still glad I have this unique part of Valkyrie history. :)

Back in the days of a good economy, VF-1 nuts on ebay and no reissues in sight, I paid 550.00 for a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1S at Wizard World Chicago in 1998. Don't own it anymore. And later that year I bought a Bandai 1990 Super VF-1S 1/55 for 600.00. I thought it was a good deal since at the time they were going for 900.00-1000.00 on ebay. What an idiot...I did sell it for around 500.00 about 8 months before the 1/55 reissues started to hit.

Edited by dejr8bud

Hmm, I wouldn't count buying something at the MSRP (like the Bandai reissues) as overpaying. If that's the case, then we all have overpaid on our cars. The most I've overpaid on something was the 1/100 YF-19 Battroid recast I bought for $50. I got it back in the day when any model of the YF-19 was scarce, so price wasn't really an issue. I ended up selling it on MW last year for $15. Better to get some of that money back rather than let it take up space on my shelf.

Selling anything else? :huh: ( Just in case I might want to buy.)

Paid $300.00 US to Blackaces for the 1/72 paper Mac 2 monster on ebay (retail price for the model in Japan was $75.00.)

Maybe I shouldn't have put my high bid up so much? I had sold off 2 1/72 hcm valkyries for $300.00 US to a guy on macrossworld and it felt more like I traded my 2 hcm s for the paper model.

Paper monster is very cool, but I haven't complete it yet. Recently, my printer ran out of ink before I could finish printing out the model. So, now I'm not sure if I would like to finish printing it out on this printer because my epson printer ran out of ink and the software on it sucks and my umax scanner has just died. maybe an all in one printer?

Last week I saw a MIB TRU 1A go on eBay for a whopping $26.01 (Link).

I got a TRU cf for $15..s/h was $16..go figure B) . Anyway, i think after 1 or 2 years my low viz which cost $130 will be what i overpaid for. There is no dobut in my mind that ALL the 1/48 yammies will be less than what we all are paying for. But come on were all excited for these toys and very impatient :lol: ...well most of us anyway :p .

YF-19 1st ed. on Oct 2000: $119.00 (and it was already openned)(the seller didn't even specified that)(my fisrt Ebay buy :( )

VF-1S 1/48: 156.00 (this one I don't complain about, since it was a local store , and I didn't have to wait for it to come in the mail.)

complete, loose Jetfire 150.00 (stickers are not carefully applied)

VF-19 M7 bootleg valk 33.00 back in 2000.

Oh well, also I paid almost full MSRP in half of my 1/60 and 1/72...

Yeap, I'm bending way down :(

C'est la Vi, (sp)

Vic

As for Macross - I've paid the normal prices. The only time I've overpaid for a toy is for my Marvel Legends Goliath - $65 :wacko: I just had to have it. :D

Haterist -

i have yet to see a seller on ebay describe anything as "so-so" EVER! its always with the MINT, RARE, VHTF, excellent condition. how can that be?, unless you never played with it? its always the same lines of BS from everyone. there are VERY few truthful/honest sellers on ebay. me, if it isn't mint in sealed box, i just stay away from it, especially foreign sellers....defintiely too many rats in hong kong and singapore for sure.

Yo haterist,

I understand your feelings but it isnt fair to condemn foreign sellers in singapore just because of a few black sheep. I too am from singapore and simply detest people who are despicable and irresponsible especially when it comes to auction's descriptions as well as the quality and integrity of the auctioned item itself. I for one would not hesitate to put down a fellow singaporean if i happened to know one. But admist the so called "rats"mentioned, there are still quite a number of reliable and trustworthy sellers and dealers namely Noel (Blackaces), Monkey Nugget, Graham and so on in the Asia Pacific region. Its just sad to know that ebayers like those so called "rats" exist in our community. As always in ebay, always do a bit of research on that seller and bid with caution. My apologies if i have being harsh in anyway.

Cheers

way back in the day at the first mw con i paid $100 for a hikaru vf-1j joons in box.

that was my first non-jetfire valk so i'm proud to have it but yikes! $100 for a joons?!?!?!

oh, and you old school guys. i bought that joons from the infamous phil. he also tried selling me the large legioss ride armor =D

Wow... $500 for 1990 Bandai? I remember walking into Pony Go Round and getting it for $60. LOL, but I guess that was around 1991. I went back the next weekto buy the rest but they were gone. I gotta feeling it was someone in this very forums.

Most I paid for is $130 for the Destoid conversion kit.