Toynami Masterpiece Valks vs 1/60 Yamato...

JLYC

Yeah, it's a custom I built a few months ago. Just built it by looking at models and pics I have of it. I also built a VF-1S and Rick's VF-1J out of Lego as well...and both do transform into all 3 modes, and carry a pilot. I put together Mini figs of Rick, Roy, Max, Ben , Lisa , Miriya, and Capt. Gloval as well. In the process of building a factory diorama to put them all in!

Yeah, it's a custom I built a few months ago. Just built it by looking at models and pics I have of it. I also built a VF-1S and Rick's VF-1J out of Lego as well...and both do transform into all 3 modes, and carry a pilot. I put together Mini figs of Rick, Roy, Max, Ben , Lisa , Miriya, and Capt. Gloval as well. In the process of building a factory diorama to put them all in!

great job~!!

have pics of the rest?

For the record, I did find a Jack Archer YF-1R for $20 at gamestop.. and, well, it looks nice in some regards, but it sure as hell is inferior to the 1/48s(I don't own any 1/60s, so I can't compare).

Amusingly, one of the nubs on the swingbars is shorter then the one on the other side, so the.. left leg, I think, doesn't lock into place very well.

It's not BAD, but it isn't worth $80, either.. or $60 for that matter. :unsure:

As an owner of both I say they're both strong toys. The Yamato's have great detail but are a pain to setup and deal with (legs, FPs, canons)... The MPC's have the nice box, the collectible factor (holding their value) and have decent detail but when in battroid mode, they look anorexic.

That being said, I'm using my MPC collection to finance my Yamato purchases (the Roys and Hunters are pretty much sold-out online).

It's not BAD, but it isn't worth $80, either.. or $60 for that matter. :unsure:

That's the real crux of the matter, they are not worth the asking price. If they were say 20 to 30 dollar toys, maaaaaybe even it wouldn't be so bad.

It's not BAD, but it isn't worth $80, either.. or $60 for that matter.  :unsure:

That's the real crux of the matter, they are not worth the asking price. If they were say 20 to 30 dollar toys, maaaaaybe even it wouldn't be so bad.

I have to agree... it's not blind hatred of the MPC that earns it the negative comments... it's the toy vs. it's price.... I mean, remove price from the equation, and the MPC is better than a Banpresto, BUT, take into account that the MPC originally cost $80 (which I paid) and now they cost more on ebay (for some reason) and the Banprestos go for $14... and suddenly, the Banpresto's problems are much less evident, much more forgivable... and the Banpresto becomes a better toy.

When someone asks about the MPC, and I give "horrible" biased advise against it. It's really just that I feel like I got ripped off when I bought my MPC. I've got no one to blame but myself, and I just want to try to help some innocent MWer to avoid my mistake... it's not hate, it's concern for the wellbeing of others.

but do we REALLY need a war about the strengths and weaknesses of the 1:60 vs. the MPC? I mean, If someone asks if they should get a MPC and someone else answers by saying that they go for $120 to $145 online and they're not worth THAT much. Do we NEED to defend the MPC by attacking the 1:60? can't we just say that IF your planning on spending $145 on a Macross toy, it should be a 1:48.

worth THAT much. Do we NEED to defend the MPC by attacking the 1:60? can't we just say that IF your planning on spending $145 on a Macross toy, it should be a 1:48.

I think this is something that most of us can agree on.

I have 1 1/60 and 1 1/48. I used to have an MPC before I sold it.

I think the 1/60 is a better toy than the MPC, but the main issue for people who don't like the 1/60 is the legs, which doesn't bother me (I'd rather have removable legs which results in the Battloid mode matching the anime better than huge ugly-ass swing bars)...

But... For the price, there's no reason to spend that kind of money on an MPC when the 1/48s are available for less. The 1/48 is superior to the MPC in just about any quantifiable measure. It is more durable, more detailed, more poseable and more accurate to the line-art. The only issue where the MPC would normally win is in terms of cost, and if some MPCs are selling on the aftermarket for comparable prices, the choice should be clear for anybody who's seen both close up.

I also feel the need to say that I'm not biased automatically in favor of Yamato over Toynami. I shouldn't have to say this, but I bought Toynami products, giving them a fair chance. If I dislike their products, it's not because I didn't give them a fair shake.

what the hell? ok let me put in some points. I will not bash my skull 1 MPC because I got it for 10$ MIB at gamestop(delisting rocks!)

1-Aesthetics. or...LOOOKS-1/60 WINS hands down! Gotta be blind to say the MPC looks better than the 1/60. there is NO comparison whatsoever! 1/60 had the consultance of shoji kawamori and it is obvious. Accurate and awesome looking. MPc is decent but not as anal detailed as the yammie. its just the TRUTH. no bias there. honestly. Only the landing gear on the MPC looks better but thats only because of one extra notch on the front.

2-DURABILITY> both are equal here. My 1/60s hip is cracked(nosecone hip area). MPC have very fragile head lasers. and the plastic head rotation limiter can be broken easily by turning the head all the way left.

3-Stability...or how well it holds together................................Equal as well. MPC may have swing bars but the right side bar always has a hardtime locking into positiion..very loose lock or stop. In fighter mode it is not as solid as the 1/60. 1/60 is more solid in fighter but its legs can fall apart in battroid. MPc goes to gerwalk.

4-price. 1/60....unless you can get MPC cheap MIB.

5-playability. Simple. If you want something in one piece get the MPC. if you want something to swap(doesnt take that long acrtually) get the1.60.

nail in coffin.=both of these pale in comparison to the 1.48. There are redeeming and demeaning qualities to both and at this point I would say that they are probably EQUAL at this pooint. Boil it down to looks and price and you will get 1.60. What ever is most important for you is what you should go buy. If its looks get a 1/.60 if its playability gert an MPC provided the price is cheap.

Since when?  Every 1/48th I've seen have been over $100 USD, usually for more than that.

Read the post.

I was talking about MPC Roys and Ricks that are going for more on the *aftermarket*, NOT at SRP.

Average price for a "naked" 1/48 seems to be about $120 + shipping.

RIck and Roy MPCs seem to be hitting that and more on the aftermarket.

My point is if you're going to spend that, you're much better off with a 1/48 than an MPC as the 1/48 is superior in pretty much every possible way.

If you care to disagree with that point, that's fine, but make sure you understand where and why I'm getting the numbers I am before you dispute them.

what the hell?  ok let me put in some points. I will not bash my skull 1 MPC because I got it for 10$ MIB at gamestop(delisting rocks!)

Shin... It looks like you're responding to my post, because of the point by point comparison. If you are you're a little confused about what I said, and if you weren't I apologize profusely.

My point by point comparisons were 1/48 vs. MPC and I rate the 1/48 higher in all ways.

1-Aesthetics

1/48, then 1/60 then MPC

DURABILITY>  both are equal here. 

I actually thought my 1/60 was better in this regard than my MPC. In fact both 1/60s that I've handled have been much better than the single MPC I've handled. Of course the 1/48 beats them both.

Stability...or how well it holds together.

Agreed that they're about the same.

4-price.  1/60....unless you can get MPC cheap MIB.

1/60 is IMO a superior toy to the MPC so 1/60s at current prices are a much better deal than an MPC at any price. This is probably the only area where 1/60s and MPCs will beat the 1/48, and even then some MPCs won't (Rick and Roy).

5-playability. Simple. If you want something in one piece get the MPC.  if you want something to swap(doesnt take that long acrtually) get the1.60. 

I think the 1/60 wins in this area also. The only mode on the 1/60 where this could be a problem is Gerwalk where the 1/60s legs have a tendency to not be stable.

nail in coffin.=both of these pale in comparison to the 1.48.  There are redeeming and demeaning qualities to both and at this point I would say that they are probably EQUAL at this pooint.  Boil it down to looks and price and you will get 1.60.

Agree strongly here. 1/48 is the best. If I were picking solely between 1/60s and MPCs I'd buy 1/60s, though.

Heck, even with a 1/48 in my collection I'll probably buy more 1/60s before I buy another 1/48 simply because of price and the fact that the 1/60 *is* a nice toy. Just not as nice as the 1/48...

nail in coffin.=both of these pale in comparison to the 1.48. There are redeeming and demeaning qualities to both and at this point I would say that they are probably EQUAL at this pooint. Boil it down to looks and price and you will get 1.60. What ever is most important for you is what you should go buy. If its looks get a 1/.60 if its playability gert an MPC provided the price is cheap.

Too true, man.

Which is better the 1/60 Yamato or 1/55 MPC?

The Yamato 1/48.

If everybody would just buy ONE of the many 1/48 offerings, there would be far less arguing. It's the best VF-1 toy you'll ever get.

The problem with the MPC is not only its price. The toy itself would have been okay....had it been released 10 years ago (and at a more realistic price). Where the MPC really fails is that it offers ZERO improvements over the older 1/55 and HCM toys of yesteryear. Whether Toynami was incapable of designing an improved toy, or just blindly copied what they could from the HCM could be debated for years. The fact remains that the MPC was already outdated before it even hit the store shelves.

(and at a more realistic price). Where the MPC really fails is that it offers ZERO improvements over the older 1/55 and HCM toys of yesteryear. Whether Toynami was incapable of designing an improved toy, or just blindly copied what they could from the HCM could be debated for years. The fact remains that the MPC was already outdated before it even hit the store shelves.

But... it's (paraphrasing from the MPC box): the most accurate representation of a Veritech ever rendered in 3 dimensions" and "no detail was lost or forgotten" (except for really basic ones like proportions, the position of the landing gear and big swing bars which were never seen in the animation).

I guess you did hit the nail on the head, though. A total lack of imagination in the design of the MPC was it's biggest flaw and was there from the outset.

Every other manufacturer added something that wasn't there before through their various major lines. Takatoku started the whole thing. Bandai innovated on their work with the HCM, Yamato innovated first with the 1/60 by finally removing the swing bars (allowing a much truer to animation version of the Battroid) and then again to the extreme with the 1/48...

What did Toynami innovate? Light up visor? (which I don't hate as many people here seem to, but when you look at what other companies have added, it kinda pales in comparison).

what the hell?  ok let me put in some points. I will not bash my skull 1 MPC because I got it for 10$ MIB at gamestop(delisting rocks!)

Shin... It looks like you're responding to my post, because of the point by point comparison. If you are you're a little confused about what I said, and if you weren't I apologize profusely.

My point by point comparisons were 1/48 vs. MPC and I rate the 1/48 higher in all ways.

1-Aesthetics

1/48, then 1/60 then MPC

DURABILITY>  both are equal here. 

I actually thought my 1/60 was better in this regard than my MPC. In fact both 1/60s that I've handled have been much better than the single MPC I've handled. Of course the 1/48 beats them both.

Stability...or how well it holds together.

Agreed that they're about the same.

4-price.  1/60....unless you can get MPC cheap MIB.

1/60 is IMO a superior toy to the MPC so 1/60s at current prices are a much better deal than an MPC at any price. This is probably the only area where 1/60s and MPCs will beat the 1/48, and even then some MPCs won't (Rick and Roy).

5-playability. Simple. If you want something in one piece get the MPC.  if you want something to swap(doesnt take that long acrtually) get the1.60. 

I think the 1/60 wins in this area also. The only mode on the 1/60 where this could be a problem is Gerwalk where the 1/60s legs have a tendency to not be stable.

nail in coffin.=both of these pale in comparison to the 1.48.  There are redeeming and demeaning qualities to both and at this point I would say that they are probably EQUAL at this pooint.  Boil it down to looks and price and you will get 1.60.

Agree strongly here. 1/48 is the best. If I were picking solely between 1/60s and MPCs I'd buy 1/60s, though.

Heck, even with a 1/48 in my collection I'll probably buy more 1/60s before I buy another 1/48 simply because of price and the fact that the 1/60 *is* a nice toy. Just not as nice as the 1/48...

if you like to see your toys become worth more and more money, as of right now the MPC kills the 1/60

:D

if you like to see your toys become worth more and more money, as of right now the MPC kills the 1/60

If I want an investment I'll look into the stock market.

If I want a cool toy I won't buy an MPC Valkyrie. ;)

not everyone is like you :p

Well in that case, the Low Viz 1/48 blows the pants off of the MPC in terms of resale value. What does that prove?

If I want an investment I'll look into the stock market.

If I want a cool toy I won't buy an MPC Valkyrie. ;)

not everyone is like you :p

Well in that case, the Low Viz 1/48 blows the pants off of the MPC in terms of resale value. What does that prove?

----->1/48's RULE~!!!!

(i love the low vis i got~!!!!)

all it proves is that the 1/48 low vis has a higher resale price than a MPC or a 1/60

but when you compare MPC vs 1/60

MPC = higher resale

some people find the resale price of the toys they collect important, and thats the point.

(btw the topic is 1/60 vs MPC, not MPC vs 1/48) If it was MPC or 1/60 vs 1/48's the 1/48's would win pretty easily

:D

Edited by jasonkimberson

some people find the resale price of the toys they collect important, and thats the point. MPC's have higher resale prices in some cases over 1/60's.

(btw the topic is 1/60 vs MPC, not MPC vs 1/48(which 1/48 would own))

I think the problem is how one defines "collector." To me, a collector is somebody who aquires a number of some item due to an interest in the subject and the intention to keep them for posterity. However, many of the so-called collectors I've know who ammased huge stockpiles of toys based on their resale value actually had very little appreciation for the toys themselves. While they called themselves "collectors" the toys were actually more like merchandise to them. At that point, it's not so much a collection as it is inventory.

At least, that's the way I see it.

rt shark

i really wasnt responding to anyone just the whole thread. Me i was one who really didnt like swap transformation...but with the 1/48 i became more accepting of the seemingly "ingferrior" valks/ Sop with that I enjoy my 1/60 more and my MPCs more because I got my 1/48, thee godlike valk toy that nothing compares to..as long as i got the best i can somewhat enjoy the rest.

1/48 RULES. only trhing i dont like is the price. TO me my MPCs were more gfun than my 1/60 simply because it did not need part swap. had the 1/60 been perfect variable then I wouldnt not dare ebven l;ook at the MPC.

some people find the resale price of the toys they collect important, and thats the point.  MPC's have higher resale prices in some cases over 1/60's.

I think the problem is how one defines "collector." To me, a collector is somebody who aquires a number of some item due to an interest in the subject and the intention to keep them for posterity. However, many of the so-called collectors I've know who ammased huge stockpiles of toys based on their resale value actually had very little appreciation for the toys themselves. While they called themselves "collectors" the toys were actually more like merchandise to them. At that point, it's not so much a collection as it is inventory.

The way i collect toys is the same as how other people collect cards. think about it ;)

The MPC is obviously the BEST version. Much better than Yamato by far.

/runs for the hills

Just kidding. I own a couple of MPC's and they're all still in their boxes at the back of my closet. All of my Yamato's are posed in my display case.

The two MPC's I do own, Max and Millia, look decent, especially when posed together with Fast Packs in Gerwalk mode. Battroid mode is so horrible as to make you want to stab out your own eyes with the blunt end of a gunpod. Fighter mode draws your attention to the nerfed short nose.

IMO, Yamato's engineering, quality and attention to detail blow away the MPCs, thus all of my Valk-collecting money will be going to them for future purchases, even if the 1/48s have a tendency to break the bank.

Then again, if I saw an MPC in a Gamestop for $20 or less, I'd snatch it up! I'll cruise by one today for that purpose.

To me it all depends on what you want to spend. If you have $50 lying around, grab a 1/60 instead of an MPC. If you have more money than that, save for a 1/48. The beauty of a 1/48 is awesome to behold.

some people find the resale price of the toys they collect important, and thats the point.

Exactly... how else can some of us justify this hobby to their wives?

You justify things to your wife? Silly bastard. Once you start doing that, there's no end... :lol:

Truthfully, I think buying toys in the hopes that the resale value goes up is ridiculous. You'll always end up chasing something, or buying everything, and feeling burned. Big waste of time, IMHO.

I love my toys. I don't really care if they're worth much. I'm not selling them unless I can't find another way to put food on the table.

not everyone is like you  :p

Well of course not. If they were these (or any) discussion boards would be a lot less interesting.

I think so and so.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Yep, sounds good to me...

and so on. ;)

If I thought everybody was like me, I'd already know they agreed with everytyhing I had to say, and therefore there'd be no point in saying it. We're all putting our opinions out there because we know that other people don't agree, and therefore we have something to discuss.

I consider price when I'm trading stuff or reselling stuff or when I'm buying something. In general - it's an artificial measure of quality.

If I have a cool toy that's worth money then I'll keep it. If I have a cool toy that's worth nothing, I'll keep it.

If I have a crappy toy *cough*MPC*cough* I'll get rid of it either way. ;)

If you want to make money there are much more efficient ways of doing it than speculating on collectibles, unless you happen to get lucky and hit on buying something cheap that's worth a lot of money.

Me? I don't collect these things to make money, I've got a job for that. I want cool toys.

some people find the resale price of the toys they collect important, and thats the point.  MPC's have higher resale prices in some cases over 1/60's.

I have a misb collection.

I dont' see it as profit but as my collection.

(Pogoman @ May 28 2004, 09:10 PM)

there's nothing collectible about them other than a pretty stupid box.

Yeah you're right. Can I just buy the boxes for cheaper? That's all I really want. :p

u never know. Perhaps they will throw one of their limited edition cels with the purchase of an empty box. heheh.

Exactly... how else can some of us justify this hobby to their wives?

See...

Here's where I run into problems.

I used to "justify" the stuff I collected to other people by saying well this is worth so and so, and that's worth such and such.

I don't do that anymore. I say here's this thing that I have because I like it. If you can respect that cool, if not, well, your loss, not mine. ;) (Basically, I don't apologize or justify to anyone how I live my life and use my resources so long as I'm not hurting anyone with the way I do it, life's too short for that).

As far as justifying to your wife by pointing out how much something is worth... What if she responds: well, then if it's worth so much we should sell it so we can do this or this or this with the money? Because if it's about the money, then it's about the money. :)

Just something to consider. :)

Truthfully, I think buying toys in the hopes that the resale value goes up is ridiculous. You'll always end up chasing something, or buying everything, and feeling burned. Big waste of time, IMHO.

Sure. I'm not looking at collecting Macross and Robotech toys as an investment... simply that if for whatever reason I would ever need to sell them, they'll at least retain most of their value. This is a big plus as these guys can run a pretty price.

I am selling a handful of MPC Robotech toys at a slight profit to supplement my Macross collection.

i think some people on this board have sold a valk or two in there life time, it doesn't mean that you aren't a collector if you sell a valk. And if i ever were in a crisis its good to know you can fall back on your toys for resources. I dont collect toys for profit, but i like the idea that they not only look cool, but they gain value as they age (might not be a lot, but they still do)