Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Neova

I saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes at my local dvd shop in both boxed sets. Whats the difference between the two?

Which came first or is one a re-telling of the other?

I hear its good and had wanted to pick it up for a long time. I hope its up there in the same vein as Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock Saga and Macross --A A good war drama series.

Any other good recommendations?

I saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes at my local dvd shop in both boxed sets. Whats the difference between the two?

Which came first or is one a re-telling of the other?

I hear its good and had wanted to pick it up for a long time. I hope its up there in the same vein as Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock Saga and Macross --A A good war drama series.

Any other good recommendations?

There is no TV series. The whole thing is one big OVA. That said, the side stories (which is what I'm assuming you mean by OVA) are just that, side stories, as Ali points out.

As for my opinion of the show, I love it. It's easily one of my all time favorite anime series. There are space battles on an unheard of scale, yet they remain fairly realistic (far more so than the Matsumoto titles you list). In fact, many are loosely based on actual naval battles. Galactic Heroes also delves heavily into political intrigue. I highly recommend the series.

I'd say buy and watch the 110 episodes of the main story first, then buy and watch the set that contains the 50+ episode sidestory and two movies.

Great series, I just recently finished the 110 main episodes and the two movies, "My Conquest in a Sea of Stars" and "Overture to a New War" and I'm just starting on the sidestories.

Highly recommended.

Graham