More Lego constructions

rikiryou

Hello,could anyone share the models for any Macross related Lego and put an image of it finished? of course,it could be a good thing to put also a list of the pieces that are needed to complete any model (official denomination,to let us buy them ;-) )

i've been wanting to get in this thread for a while....

nice minifigs dude! B)) i have a friend who does torso and head designs on waterslide decal paper for SW figs, LOTR, HP, some WWII stuff and a bunch of different superheros like batman, superman, the flash, etc.

very cool, now i must make my own little macross custom figs. :D

That's really great stuff there.. that Monster's incredible.

I think the main issue with Legos is the weight of larger models.. you make something big enough to be detailed, and it gets too heavy for Lego joints to hold up, and the limbs sag, or won't hold up the weight they need to. I've been stumped for about a year on how to make legs strong enough to hold this thing up. It must weigh about 5 lbs. That's what happens when you make something this big.:rolleyes:

post-4-1086291626.jpg

That's really great stuff there.. that Monster's incredible.

I think the main issue with Legos is the weight of larger models.. you make something big enough to be detailed, and it gets too heavy for Lego joints to hold up, and the limbs sag, or won't hold up the weight they need to.  I've been stumped for about a year on how to make legs strong enough to hold this thing up.  It must weigh about 5 lbs.  That's what happens when you make something this big.:rolleyes:

damn :o that looks juicy!

i'm not sure how you're trying to construct the legs but i know what you mean by lego loosing its "grip" when theres a lot of pieces involved, i.e. the ISD.

you can us different SNOT techniques that might help solve that problem, plus instead of using the clicky hinge pieces, you might want to use a combination of technic pieces especially since your valk is friggin HUGE!

the only other thing i could suggest is to scale it down(no reason to your crap looks bad as hell B)) ) or to make it a little lighter. bascially take out some bricks that don't serve a purpose. i assume you took the "trial and error" route building this and in doing so you usually end up brickin it to death for structural integrity. i know that sounds like a pain in the butt but that might be you're only alternative.

BTW,you got some instruction for that thing? :D

Right now, it gets close to 3 feet long in fighter mode, I'm guessing about 1/18th scale... that would make it around two and a half feet tall in battroid. :D

You're right about one main thing though, I seriously need to lighten up the construction. The main fuselage is mostly solid bricks for strength, since I've rebuilt it about 4 times now. I've run out of big pieces to hold it together, so I've had to resort to smaller bricks.

As for the technics pieces, I've used them to death in most places. The arms are fully articulated with a combination of 4 worm gear joints each (1 each for shoulder rotation and elevation, then two more for elbow rotation and angle). The clicking hinges work very well though for the backpack, since it needs to have a very compact joint. The linkage to mount the shoulders in battroid is a pain though.. it's really heavy, and not too sturdy. It definitely needs to be redone.

I hope to work on this some this summer.... I'll probably rebuild it again from the ground up to lighten it, and rework a lot of stuff. I might make it smaller, but I like the size right now.. the pieces I've used work well for this scale, and things would get complicated making it just a little smaller. I'd probably have better luck making it lighter. Plus, I built this based on the transformation of a Joke Machine VF-1. Now that I've got my 1/48th -1J, I can follow that instead, and the construction will probably be much better. :)

Btw, sorry, no instructions for this thing.. yet.. I may try it, but I'm using an INSANE amount of pieces. I'm nearly out of everything that matches the color scheme, and am going to have to start ordering specific parts online.

Edited by Chronocidal

That's insane...You'll go broke just trying to finish something that size! Yet I know that with legos you have to go big if you want details.

Here's a pic of my VF-1S the first time out. It doesn't look like this now. I've redone it, and it's more accurate now I think. I need to transfer the pics so I can post them.

post-4-1086328667_thumb.jpg

Right now, it gets close to 3 feet long in fighter mode, I'm guessing about 1/18th scale... that would make it around two and a half feet tall in battroid. :D

There is a vibrant community of LEGO mecha builders out there, with a wealth of useful ideas for constructing very big robots. A good place to browse is the mecha newsgroup at LUGNET:

http://www.lugnet.com/build/mecha/

Keep us posted! Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on my Konig Monster for a while, thanks to a long vacation abroad (the wife won't let me bring my LEGO collection with us :p ). But you'll be seeing more of it later this summer.

You're right about one main thing though, I seriously need to lighten up the construction.  The main fuselage is mostly solid bricks for strength, since I've rebuilt it about 4 times now.  I've run out of big pieces to hold it together, so I've had to resort to smaller bricks.

if you're willing, i'd go out and purchase the SW RBR(rebel blockcade runner)or the Discovery space shuttle, which are both great white parts packs.

if you're willing to go grey, i'd get the SW ISD(imperial star destroyer) for the ubber quanity of the original grey bricks. and maybe an AT-AT or AT-TE, they both got a nice variety of pieces as well.

or just hit bricklink and get a bunch of plates and long bricks and remove the smaller brick all together.

also realize the interior of the structure can't be seen, so you can easily replace those pieces with off colors like blue, red, green, etc.

As for the technics pieces, I've used them to death in most places.  The arms are fully articulated with a combination of 4 worm gear joints each (1 each for shoulder rotation and elevation, then two more for elbow rotation and angle).  The clicking hinges work very well though for the backpack, since it needs to have a very compact joint.  The linkage to mount the shoulders in battroid is a pain though.. it's really heavy, and not too sturdy.  It definitely needs to be redone.

i wish i could actually hold this thing, then it would really get things stirring. got play to build you know what i mean?. :p

i noticed the arm articulation and figured you went technic on those but sometimes "fixed" technic gears/pieces have a little more "grip" than the average brick. you might even want to grab some piston parts and try your luck with those. have you tired using any of the bionicle pieces? the all have a few ball joints parts and such, though i don't think one of those can support too much weight but a few of them might? :unsure:

I hope to work on this some this summer.... I'll probably rebuild it again from the ground up to lighten it, and rework a lot of stuff.  I might make it smaller, but I like the size right now.. the pieces I've used work well for this scale, and things would get complicated making it just a little smaller.  I'd probably have better luck making it lighter.  Plus, I built this based on the transformation of a Joke Machine VF-1.  Now that I've got my 1/48th -1J, I can follow that instead, and the construction will probably be much better. :)

don't go smaller, otherwise you're going to rebuild you're near perfect S head. also you'll just make it a pain in the ass for yourself. you mgiht consider borrowing the foundrydx design for the legs and increase the stud count in each direction and replace which every pieces accordingly for the articulation you desire.

Btw, sorry, no instructions for this thing.. yet.. I may try it, but I'm using an INSANE amount of pieces.  I'm nearly out of everything that matches the color scheme, and am going to have to start ordering specific parts online.

i was joking, about that. no one in there right mind would try making instruction for such a large MOC. :blink:

i guess you can always take a pic, toss it into a lego program and get a rough idea what needs to be done but thats no fun. :D you got build til your fingers hurt and you can't sleep cause the creative juices are overflowing in your mind...even when you got your eyes closed. :lol:

anyhow, great job none the less, yours is by far the biggest/nicest one i've seen, EVER! i can't see what else you come up with during the summer. i need to get building myself. i've had builders block for a while and can't seem to get motivated. :huh:

Actually, I was serious about the instructions thing. :D I'm not talking a full step by step, but I might manage an exploded view of the major parts. I've drawn instructions for several things I've made, including an X-Wing, and an A-wing, both of which turned out beautifully. I use a special pseudo-isometric graph paper I designed, and hand draw the instructions. It goes faster than you'd think, but it's still tedious. I'd just use exploded diagrams for big parts, and it might work. :)

Btw, I had planned to buy the Blockade Runner, never got to it.. I may yet. Did get the Discovery though, that's a sweet set. :) I just need about 10 of em.. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was serious about the instructions thing. :D I'm not talking a full step by step, but I might manage an exploded view of the major parts. I've drawn instructions for several things I've made, including an X-Wing, and an A-wing, both of which turned out beautifully. I use a special pseudo-isometric graph paper I designed, and hand draw the instructions. It goes faster than you'd think, but it's still tedious. I'd just use exploded diagrams for big parts, and it might work. :)

Btw, I had planned to buy the Blockade Runner, never got to it.. I may yet. Did get the Discovery though, that's a sweet set. :) I just need about 10 of em.. :rolleyes:

well if you do get some kind of instructions going, that would be super dope! B))

the RBR was on sale for $80 a while back. so i picked up two, one for display, one for parts. :D i haven't gotten the discovery shuttle yet, i'm kind of regreting it now. i saw a bunch of them on clearance at Target for $12.41(or some ridiculously low price) but for some reason, that set didn't find its way into my cart. :(

if target restocks them, i'm definitely picking up a few....i love those white curved pieces and i think you get a boat load of them with the set.

anyhow, you got brickshelf or MOC pages account or something? wouldn't mind seeing some of your other MOCs. :)

Actually, I've never really put up anything online of legos. Btw, if you ever see another RBR for that low, PLEASE pick it up.. I'll gladly buy it from you. :) I've never seen it in ANY store near me. I may have to resort to Ebay eventually.

Really though, those curved pieces are all that helpful.. I've got loads, and have yet to use them on the Valk. The pieces that really help are the wings, cause they allowed me to make the intakes on the chest plate out of nearly one piece, instead of piecing smaller wings together to make them.

you know I have seen these lego posts for a little while now and I think it is time to post a message. i am seeing some excellent creations form all of you, it has been along time since i worked with legos, but this makes me want to buy some and get started :) i think we should have a custom page just for Legos constructions. keep up all of the incredible work guys and gals, i am very impressed with what I am seeing.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Hey, like you'll get any help with that kind of language! Actually, I wish I had the software to make instructions for this stuff. I have no idea how to do that. Also, I'm on a MAC, ...does it even exist for a MAC.......by the way, here's another pic.

those look like the sets from foudry dx

are they???

if so, you could go to the website, Here

and when his store is open, buy the instructions

the instructions themselves arent that much, but sets are about $200 if i recall

J.J.

My VF's are loosely based on the Foundry models, as I do have those instructions. But , I've made improvements on these. Their cockpits are too small, don't fit a complete figure, and don't have some of the details on the exterior that mine have. Also, my minifigs are all original piece-meal with custom made stickers. I have stickers for figures I haven't even made yet. I also have built the super armor as well in Lego, ... off I go to shoot more photos!

Ahhh

i see

J.J.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Thought I'd add to this post even though it's an old thread. I recently got into lego mecha, and build FoundryDX's VF-1 kit. Here's a nosecone modification I did that I think makes it flow better and fit the minifig inside like Focker's Fate's mods.

post-4-1113615365_thumb.jpg

Edited by chunger

Nice landing gear as well, mate. Love it.

Let me stress that using LCad is pretty hard, and once you get the initial prog, you will need to find more and more parts online. Then again, it's pretty much the same with real legos, isn't it?

:lol: Really nice valks here...also, since the foundrydx valk is pretty spot-on, and relatively easy to replicate, it's a great template to use.

The FoundryDx instructions are great. . .. building was a snap, and all the really hard work was done for you. It's a really really excellent instruction set. As was pointed out previously however, a minifig does not fit into the model if you build it according to the directions, but I had the cockpit section modified to fit the minifig in about 10 minutes. Must excuse my coloring though. . . I don't have the most extensive lego collection :blink:

I wish I had minifigs that were as nice looking as fokkers fate has. . . don't know where he came up with that helmet. Very cool.

Yeah. . . 2x1 panel for the cockpit 4 of them. a 4x1 panel would be better (stronger) but I didn't have them. 2 of the 2x1 panels I used are yellow so you can see the location. you have to swap around the behind-cockpit plates to make the entire assembly strong enough to hold the weight. When you get in there, you'll see.

Landing gear is simple. . . actually, they're made exactly as the FoundryDX instructions say.

2454 hinge plate

4276 hinge plate

1x1 plate

4981b modified plate

and the wheels are 2 1x1 round plates

-'Chung