King Conan? Guess who's playing him

Could Ah-nuld have finally been replaced....by wrestling's Triple H?! :o

From IGN:

May 10, 2004 - IGN FilmForce has learned who is poised to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger as the title character in the long-in-development King Conan: Crown of Iron. Confirming rumors first reported last fall, Warner Brothers and writer-director John Milius have indeed settled on wrestler-actor Paul Michael Levesque, a.k.a. Triple H, to play Robert E. Howard's barbarian hero. It should be noted, however, that it isn't a done deal just yet.

There's also no word on when King Conan might finally go before cameras. Triple H was previously rumored to be up for the role of Kon, Conan's estranged son. He'll next be seen as "Grimwood" in Blade: Trinity.

Milius has apparently long believed that Triple H has the potential to be the next Schwarzenegger. He should know since he cast the bodybuilding champ in 1982's Conan the Barbarian, launching Arnold's stellar film career. We were told that Gov. Schwarzenegger has given the film and Triple H his blessing.

Triple H is also attached to star in Milius' biker flick Jornada del Muerto but that project has hit a roadblock. Sources advised IGNFF that the project may be in the process of falling apart even though principal photography was slated to begin this July in New Mexico.

There's apparently a burgeoning power struggle between Milius and WWE Films, the World Wrestling Entertainment's movie division. WWE honcho Vince McMahon – who also happens to be Triple H's father-in-law – was to have executive produced Jornada. WWE Films also produced The Rock's last two vehicles, The Rundown and Walking Tall.

IGNFF was advised that the issue threatening to derail Jornada del Muerto involves talent agencies. WWE is repped by Endeavor whereas Milius is signed with ICM. (Endeavor was founded by ex-ICM agents.) Sources claim that Endeavor and WWE Films instead want to make an in-house film project, a package utilizing their own clients. This left the ICM-repped Milius as the proverbial wrench in the machine.

We were advised that Milius' deal for Jornada had essentially been made by Vince McMahon and without the involvement of certain high-level execs at WWE Films, and that is what's led to this situation exploding now.

Unless the situation can be resolved, Milius could reluctantly walk away and let Jornada fall apart, which seems fine by WWE Films (and, thus, Endeavor). Milius and Triple H remain friendly and are willing to work together on King Conan instead.

Jornada del Muerto is a neo-Western following ex-Marine/ex-Hell's Angel/ex-con Jonah Hawk's vengeful campaign against the Road Wolves, a vicious biker gang that kills Jonah's friend and kidnaps the man's girlfriend. Jonah targets the Road Wolves and their allies, culminating in a battle royale in the New Mexico desert.

Look to IGN FilmForce for more news on King Conan and Jornada del Muerto as it happens!

As much as I've been looking forward to this film, the thought of HHH playing Conan just sickens me.

Hmmm... not exactly the most awe-inspiring news. I'd just as soon they replaced the Oak with some other unknown behemoth.

But, I will say this. I think that the Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonja movies proved without a doubt that the most important person to be involved in a Conan movie is John Milius, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Hmmm... not exactly the most awe-inspiring news. I'd just as soon they replaced the Oak with some other unknown behemoth.

But, I will say this. I think that the Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonja movies proved without a doubt that the most important person to be involved in a Conan movie is John Milius, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Amen, brother! You preach the light and the light is good.

I just hope the WWE doesn't turn this project into some chessy "wrasselin'" movie <_<

The WWE has become so fake (yeah, it's possible!) over the past years...I can't even watch it anymore and not laugh

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:angry:

At least Milius is involved with it. That's some saving grace at least.

Conan just has to be a big, buff barbarian guy.

So sez the guy with the complete collection of Lorenzo Lamas and Kevin Sorbo DVDs. :p

Sorry Max, but I'd prefer that they cast somebody with at least an ounce of talent. Or perhaps just a smidgen of personality. HHH however, is just all 'roids and ego.

I wish they'd give 2 time Mr. Universe and Ahnuld pal, Ralf Moeller another shot at the role of Conan. He even has the bad pre-requisite accent (although his is German, not Austrian... close enough!).

But perhaps he still has the stink of the failed TV series on him.

The guy is friggin enormous and he wasn't too bad in Gladiator, either.

Plus, he's not a wrestler!

post-26-1084298949.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

I wish they'd give 2 time Mr. Universe and Ahnuld pal, Ralf Moeller another shot at the role of Conan. He even has the bad pre-requisite accent (although his is German, not Austrian... close enough!).

But perhaps he still has the stink of the failed TV series on him.

The guy is friggin enormous and he wasn't too bad in Gladiator, either.

Plus, he's not a wrestler!

I agree.

ack, I iffy about it. I need to see arnold do this movie. It's just not the same conan without arnold's ARRGGHHHH!!! Nobody can replace that. That would be nice if John Milius could some how convince arnold to take some time off to do this movie. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :p:D:lol:

I've been waiting for this film for a while but amd now scared. For continuity issues I'd like for the role to be played by Arnold. HHH would be a disaster or are they just trying to destroy the franchise completely?

Guys, it's not as though Arnie can ask his boss to take time off from work... he's a freakin' governor now. ;)

As for continuity issues... the aforementioned poo of Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonja have forced me to pretend they don't exist at all, so I've given up on continuity.

Guys, it's not as though Arnie can ask his boss to take time off from work... he's a freakin' governor now. ;)

I'd be willing to wait a couple more years if it would mean Arnold would come back as Conan. Besides, King Conan takes place when he's older anyhow, so what's the rush? Eastwood waited more than 10 years to make Unforgiven, just to allow himself to "mature" into the role. I say the same could easily apply to Arnold.

As for continuity issues... the aforementioned poo of Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonja have forced me to pretend they don't exist at all, so I've given up on continuity.

I know but they could push back shooting till The Governator's reign is over. :p

I didn't think Arnold wa splaying Conan in Red Sonja and it's also not his fault Conan the Destroyer was a flaming pile of poo. However, he has established himself as the live action character of Conan and it would help the movie if he remained Conan. Milus ahd to decide now after over a decade he wants to do this film....

I agree Arnie would be the best... if he would John Milius make Conan the badass he needs to be... but I'm a bit afraid he wouldn't. Ever since T2, the Terminator became a life-saving hero. I'd hate to see that sort of whitewash fall on Conan.

And it's not as though Arnold couldn't have returned to the role at any point over the last ten years. He chose to do Collateral Damage, The 6th Day, End of Days, Eraser and many other fine films instead.

I've pretty much given up on seeing Arnold do King Conan... even though it kills me. That last shot of him in Conan the Barbarian on his throne with the beard... that's how it should be, dammit.

Edited to add... Jemstone - unfortunately that was Arnold in Red Sonja. :(

Also, Milius has wanted to do Conan for years (it's not like he's doing anything else)... it's Arnold who's kept the project on the back burner for years. Why? I don't know.

post-26-1084302958.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

Also, Milius has wanted to do Conan for years (it's not like he's doing anything else)... it's Arnold who's kept the project on the back burner for years. Why? I don't know.

I think a large part of it has been getting somebody to green-light the project. Remember, since the mid nineties Arnold has had a string off films that, shall we say....were less than stellar at the box office. It wasn't until LOTR came out that studios began to look at big budget "epics" again. Then there was the period just a couple of years ago where the Wachowski (sp?) bros were going to executive produce it, but they've since walked away (and after the resulting Matrix sequels, perhaps that's a good thing).

Arnold was "Kalidor" in Red Sonja. I used to think he was Conan in there before too, then I saw it again.

The first Conan is the only one I have, and want. It just wouldn't be the same without Arnold, and the more advanced age would work well. I too want to see the bad-ass Conan with the beard. I would be willing to wait a few years.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what Milius can do with what he has to work with. HHH can't act for crap though. I'm not even looking forward to seeing him in Blade.

Edited by Anubis

Edited to add... Jemstone - unfortunately that was Arnold in Red Sonja:(

It was indeed Arnold, but he wasn't Conan. At least, not officially. I'd heard somewhere that they had wanted him to play Conan, but didn't have the rights to the character.

Yep. Technically, he was Kallidor, or something like it. It was a rights issue between studios. But he was Conan, essentially. He's bigger on the movie poster than she is. :lol:

And I think if Arnold had really wanted to play Conan, he could have found funding without too much trouble. Unlike LotR, I doubt it was the "epic factor" that had to be proven. I doubt you'll see tons of CGI in Milius' new Conan flick. At least not LotR scale.

I really think (and this is just my own wacky theory) that Arnold didn't want to go back to playing a character that is often perceived as "dumb" or "barbaric". Not a bad idea for a guy with proven political aspirations.

Again, for what it's worth - I think the absolute most important thing about a Conan movie is this -

1. It must be Rated R for violence and nudity. Conan is a barbarian, dammit. Let him be one. I really don't want to see studios turning this into crap like the Scorpion King or Kull the Conqueror.

2. John Milius should direct it. He knows what he wanted to do with Conan all along and he's pretty insane to boot. Another director could do a good job, but Milius really lives for these kinds of flicks and he's into steel.

3. It should stay as true as humanly possible to Robert E. Howard's vision of Conan as the biggest, meanest, most cunning male ever. How to do that? See points 1 and 2.

I'd love for Milius and Schwartz to make that kind of movie, but after waiting forever, I'd be fine with someone else taking on the role. What worries me isn't Triple H's acting skills (or lack therof), it's the "kid-factor" that wrestling brings to the film (not unlike Wilt Chamberlain in CtD) and the completely unneccsary involvement of Vince McMahon.

Too many suits = a terrible movie.

It should have at a minimum the violence and shagging levels of the first one.

That's another drawback to having a WWE wrestler in your movie, Vince likes to stick his nose in where it don't belong.

Edited by Anubis

I really think (and this is just my own wacky theory) that Arnold didn't want to go back to playing a character that is often perceived as "dumb" or "barbaric". Not a bad idea for a guy with proven political aspirations.

I saw Arnold at San Diego ComiCon couple years back when he was promoting T3. Someone form the audience asked him about the King Conan project. He said he was very enthusiastic about doing it if they could work out everything. Can't remember if it was a script problem or what but the impression was that he was actively trying to get it done. Of course that was the summer before he decided to run for Gov.

I re-watched the orginal Conan recently and never realized how good it really was. I love that part where Conan pummels that one Doom follower with the flowers to get his robe. That look Conan gives the guy when he's stroking Conan's chest is priceless.

What Conan thread would be complete without a Conan quote?

Mongol Leader: "We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?"

Mongol: "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in your hair."

Mongol Leader: "Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Mongol Leader: "That is good!"

:ph34r:

If Arnold gives HHH the thumbs up its OK with me...  Like Blaine said, John Milius is the key, not Arnold.

"No Schwarzenegger = not good movie". :D:lol:

True! I am trying to be optimistic, I mean at least Arnold said HHH would be good. Maybe he sees something in HHH that we don't.

Yes he can. I'm the boss of him and it's alright with me. He just needs to run it past his other several million bosses.

"Talent?"

Please....

Kevin Sorbo isn't that buff, and I couldn't tell you who Lorenzo Lamas or whatever is out of a line-up.

All they need is a big strong guy that looks like a barbarian. I mean hell, Agent One could play him if he grew his hair out. :lol:

So you don't care the least bit who you're watching swing the Sword of Atlantis? Well that's allright for you, but I'm just a wee bit more demanding of the movies I watch. I don't expect some great master thespian to take on the role, but that doesn't mean that I'm willing to watch any old meat sack grunt at the camera for 120 minutes. And as a near-former RAW watcher, I can assure you that HHH's delivery would be cringe inducing.