Amazing low-vis F-14D

David Hingtgen

http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/air...photo_frame.htm

Another amazingly mottled/weathered low-vis 1/32 model. Wing-sweep-wear, too. :)

And a carrier launch diorama!

Yes, it's an F-14 and not a VF-1, but 99% of the techniques would be the same.

Now we just have to wait until he gets his "how-to" guides uploaded. And then we'll all wait to see how wm_cheng's F-14 turns out. :)

seeing such a well done cat is one incredible thing, but seeing it only got the 2nd place award of Tamiya CON 2004 is another! the same modeller got the golden medal too! totally amazing!

Unbelievable! I also really like his F-15, the opening panel on that model is awesome.

Where is this guy from, though? His english doesn't seem particularly good, and he has Japanese at the bottom of his pages, but some of the awards are clearly from US events.

Anyone check his other stuff out, by the way? His ships are pretty sweet! I love how he did the interior on the WWII carrier on the diorama.

Edited by Commander McBride

I love tomcats... and rooting around in the "building que" (to filtch a term from another board member) I realised I have none.... I'm probably gonna buy the Tomcat in 1/32 from Tamiya... but what are the best small-scale (1:72nd) ones? Fujimi or Hasegawa?

PS: about the smaller-scale kit question: acuracy is not as important as fit in this case.

Edited by Akula

Tamiya Cons: First place never goes to *best* model, it goes to *most visually impressive model*--specifically, the one that'll looks best in Tamiya ads. Thus, a good high-vis Jolly Rogers F-14 will always beat a wonderful low-vis Red Rippers F-14, etc. Sure, it has to be quite good to win, but it also has to be "inherently cool". And thus, battleships and carriers almost always win for ships, no matter how amazingly you might superdetail a tugboat.

Anyways---small scale F-14? I just posted a lot about the Fuji and Hase at http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=7598

Heh heh--another "fit" fan (like me--nothing ruins a detailed model for me like poor fit--and it simply is more obvious in 1/72). Probably go for the Fuji in that case. Check ebay, they show up for 10-15 bucks MISB, vs $30 retail.

BTW---the largest 1/72 F-14 decal maker by far is CAM:

http://www.camdecals.com/main.asp?camaction=decals

They also make a lot of good 1/32 and 1/48.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The Tomcat is beautiful but that 1/350 class diorama is amazing. Someone needs to build a SDF-1 Dio like that!

It's glorious!

mm5.jpg

And that F-14 is just scary! If I had it I'd just stare until I pass out.

It's be great to have the blast shield and aircraft carrier runway diorama. . . and swap out the F-14 for a 1/32-scale VF-1! :)

Not that the F-14 isn't beautiful!

H

a 1/32 Vf-1 would be pretty sweet... but I bet that blast shield base was a chore in it's self.

And thanks for the articles on the Tomcats... Fujimi wins the money...

Edited by Akula

His aircraft carrier is brilliant. I wish I had enough space for this thing! Imagine encased in a glass housing with legs, it would make an incredible dining table for 6. There would always be something to talk about. :D

http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/shi...07-0756_IMG.JPG

It's not that big, I had that kit once, it's a Tamiya kit. Maybe 4 feet long at most.

http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/air...photo_frame.htm

Another amazingly mottled/weathered low-vis 1/32 model. Wing-sweep-wear, too. :)

And a carrier launch diorama!

Yes, it's an F-14 and not a VF-1, but 99% of the techniques would be the same.

Now we just have to wait until he gets his "how-to" guides uploaded. And then we'll all wait to see how wm_cheng's F-14 turns out. :)

:o:o:o

time to quit plastic modelling...

(a very depressed) Gorgon

The Tomcat is beautiful but that 1/350 class diorama is amazing. Someone needs to build a SDF-1 Dio like that!

It's glorious!

mm5.jpg

And that F-14 is just scary! If I had it I'd just stare until I pass out.

Me too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was there and saw both of his winning models in person. His photos are great and do a really good job of showing what his models really look like, although when you see it in person, it's a whole different experience and you can truly appreciate the large scale of the dioramas.

dioramas42.jpg

For those interested, he started putting up the how-tos. Great pictures, but Japanese descriptions :( That's what I get for not being multi-lingual.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...