VF-11MAXL?

USCOLMRNE

Is there a picture of the VF-11MAXL, does it look like the VF-11C Thunderbolt?. Only pictuer I found that said MAXL is from that Macross Anniverasry DVD. I hope the design stays the same. Also anyone have a picture of the VF-16?

What was shown on the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD was in fact a standard VF-11 mislabelled. This was an on-screen error. Officially, there have been no pictures released of the VF-11MAXL or VF-16-only the VF-11MAXL Custom. The only reference relating to the VF-16 was that its engines (or a custom version of its engines) were used in the VF-11MAXL Custom. A Japanese Macross fan, JAC-san, has draw what he thinks the VF-11MAXL might look like. You can see it here at Siegfried (another Japanese Macross fan)'s homepage: http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~sieg/vf-11maxl.html

Is there a picture of the VF-11MAXL, does it look like the VF-11C Thunderbolt?. Only pictuer I found that said MAXL is from that Macross Anniverasry DVD. I hope the design stays the same. Also anyone have a picture of the VF-16?

What was shown on the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD was in fact a standard VF-11 mislabelled. This was an on-screen error. Officially, there have been no pictures released of the VF-11MAXL or VF-16-only the VF-11MAXL Custom. The only reference relating to the VF-16 was that its engines (or a custom version of its engines) were used in the VF-11MAXL Custom. A Japanese Macross fan, JAC-san, has draw what he thinks the VF-11MAXL might look like. You can see it here at Siegfried (another Japanese Macross fan)'s homepage: http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~sieg/vf-11maxl.html

Thanks Windj... errr Nanashi!! We used to have a thread about this in the old forum. JAC-san pic is the closest thing to a non custom MAXL though I think that the legs should be more squarish (in the upper view they look like the custom Maxl but not in the other pic)

I was about to convert a Bandai MAXL custom but then I convinced myself that the work would be much harder than the little kit deserves since it is not just sanding the boops but modifying the entire legs/engines. So I will finally make the pink bastard (I also have wave decals with Guvaba and all)

Well, I think that Maxl is a short form of Maximum Lift. Mylene maxl costum as far as I know has some sort of delta wings, so it probably means increased wing size.

The MAXL was inspired by the F-16XL (this is what SK said in his last book) The F-16XL has a full delta wing as the MAXL. It is obvious that the XL part of MAXL comes from that real life plane. The MA part could be from MAcross or something like that.

f-16xl-red.jpg

Well, I think that Maxl is a short form of Maximum Lift. Mylene maxl costum as far as I know has some sort of delta wings, so it probably means increased wing size.

The MAXL was inspired by the F-16XL (this is what SK said in his last book) The F-16XL has a full delta wing as the MAXL. It is obvious that the XL part of MAXL comes from that real life plane. The MA part could be from MAcross or something like that.

Maximillian-Approved? :)

Edited by JB0

Actually, I'd heard that the normal MAXL was just an upgraded VF-11, with only minor airframe mods. Only the MAXL Kai has the delta config and the...other.... mods.

That was what some people in the old thread was saying (without any valid argument aside from that pic from the Macross XX aniv. DVD)

The resemblance between the F-16XL and the VF-11MAXL KAI is obvious and the use of the XL in the mecha name I think it can't be a coincidence. So I think that the (standard) MAXL should have full delta wings and it would be very simmilar to the second (lower) pic in the japanese site that Nanashi mentioned before:

Edit: added image link

vf-11makl2.gif

Edited by Gerwalker

The resemblance between the F-16XL and the VF-11MAXL KAI is obvious and the use of the XL in the mecha name I think it can't be a coincidence. So I think that the (standard) MAXL should have full delta wings and it would be very simmilar to the second (lower) pic in the japanese site that Nanashi mentioned before:

Which makes a lot of sense given how often Kawamori has obviously based his variable fighter designs on real-world aircraft.

Although maybe it's just be but doesn't it seem like those big delta wings would be a hinderance when transforming?

Although maybe it's just be but doesn't it seem like those big delta wings would be a hinderance when transforming?

Actually, given the nature of the VF-11's transformation, the delta wings shouldn't matter.

I say the actual VF-11MAXL had the delta wings as part of the upgrade. Sources did say there were airframe or structural improvements to go with the new engines, right?

Dr. Chiba just built the Sound Force Valks based off of existing fighters, just modified for the sound equipment. It wouldn't have made sence for him to alter the proven airframe of the VF-11 just for Mylene, especially considering the time factor involved. He could easily have given her a standard VF-11 modified with the sound equipment, but had he given her that, she just would not have been able to keep up with the Sound Force VF-19 and VF-17T. Remember the trench with the 17's and 19's smoking the 11's in the run? The others would have had to slow down fer her. Therefore he would have used the upgraded MAXL design to compensate, something that was special order to begin with and was why we didn't see it more. If it wasn't for the MAXL variant she would likely have had a 17 or a 19 as well.

If it wasn't for the MAXL variant she would likely have had a 17 or a 19 as well.

Or a 22 as was orginally planned :blink:

Man, going from badass Ghost killer to titted valk... <_<

Haven't heard about a 22 for Mylene before. :blink: Guess that idea was scrapped to make the VF-22 Max/Millia exclusive for the show.

If it wasn't for the MAXL variant she would likely have had a 17 or a 19 as well.

Or a 22 as was orginally planned :blink:

Man, going from badass Ghost killer to titted valk... <_<

Haven't heard about a 22 for Mylene before. :blink: Guess that idea was scrapped to make the VF-22 Max/Millia exclusive for the show.

It's in the design works, a pre production sketch of the MAXL (pretty much like the VF-11Kai that Basara was supposed to fly, a more logical step than the 19). I can put up a scan or two if you want. :p

I have the Kawamori design works, but never noticed that one. Guess I have to flip through it again.