AMDRIVER - New Anime in Japan

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the new Animation (I think) called GET RIDE! AMDriver. I was just in TRU today and I saw the toys...figured what the hell. Plus my son was screaming for me to get it for him. (To my surprise he wanted this over the Deka Ranger toys!)

Basically today I bought AMJacket 01 and Amjacket 04. They have the coolest helmets.

On to a semi review.

The basic packs come with 3 sets of changable hands. One Gun and One Battle Knife and a Surf (Sky) Board, that doubles as a shield.

These things are really articulated! I count 22 points of articulation! The toy itself stands about 4 inches tall and is very sturdy. Great for play!

My impression of the toy is that the creators (Without having seen the animation yet) combined Mospeada Ride Armor and mixed it with Bubblegum Crisis. These figures are great for possible custom projects. Which is what I am going to try and do. I plan to try and make a complete set of Bubblegum Crisis Armor out of them.

Draw Backs. The figure doesn't stay wellon the Surf Board. It needs anothor foot peg in the front. Also they are not as detailed as the boxes show. Other than that excellent toy!

I belive there are a total of 5 in the series. They also have Add-on Armor and other specialty sets. You can buy them as a set or individually.

Are there any other online retailers (besides HLJ.com) that're carrying AMDRIVER figures? :blink:

EDIT: I just ordered AMDRIVER Jenus, Dark, and Scene from HLJ.com.

What's the difference between the regular and DX sets? More weapons? :ph34r:

Edited by UN Spacy

Came across some pics of similar stuff not knowing what they were......now I know! :blink:

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/FILITHEYO/AM-JACKET.htm

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/FILITHEYO/AM-GEAR.htm

Nice pics. The purple one looks like an Inbit soldier, I like hover bike with rifle attach to it and what`s this a Mini-Argama. At least if there`s no official Mospeada or Bubblegum Crisis this will do fine :)

Are there any other online retailers (besides HLJ.com) that're carrying AMDRIVER figures? :blink:

What's the difference between the regular and DX sets? More weapons? :ph34r:

The DX sets have armour on them. The normal ones are just the white figure with 1 or 2 weapons and the surfboard. After looking at the photos, the surfboards don't form any part of the armour like I thought they would.

Are there any other online retailers (besides HLJ.com) that're carrying AMDRIVER figures?  :blink:

What's the difference between the regular and DX sets? More weapons?  :ph34r:

Amenbo.com still has the DX figures, which include the body armors and weapons the regular figures don't.

Heres a scan of the side of the box.  This show the combinations with the full armor.

The last pic looks freaking awesome. Seems that Microman 2004 has some competition. Their vehicles (Microman) become armor as well.

Automaster-3.jpg

Automaster-8.jpg

I'm still waiting for this series to come out here in the US. Diamond/Previews I'm waiting!

Edited by gerwalk25

But. I also think HLJ.com sells that DX weapons and armor as a seperate package. :ph34r:

You can buy them as a seperate package as well as a DX figure which has everything in it. So you either buy basic figure + addon pack or just the DX figure.

Someone give a story synopsis behind these figures? Supposed to be some kinda cyberspace thing?

The last pic looks freaking awesome. Seems that Microman 2004 has some competition. Their vehicles (Microman) become armor as well.

Neon transparent colors....ewwwWWwww

Does the "Board Visor" come with the figure, or do you have to buy one seperate (which would be lame)?

The larger "visor"-modes are the only ones I will be considering.

I don't mind getting a Dark version (with the 2 hands) and one of the bigger ones....

Does the "Board Visor" come with the figure, or do you have to buy one seperate (which would be lame)?

Yeah, you need to buy a figure seperatly to use the with the visor sets.

Yeah, you need to buy a figure seperatly to use the with the visor sets.

weak-sauce!

Oh well. I might get it anyway. I have to say, when first seeing these figs I was unenthusiastic...mostly because of the inclusion of "extreme" hoverboards.

But the old-school '80s mecha look of the "visor" figs has me interested. I really want to see what some of the future releases will look like.

So much for ordering the Board Visor (the white/blue mecha armor)...hlj is out on backorder and amenbo only has the DX armor sets...anybody see more sites that have these?

ETA: whoops, finals have scrambled my brain...amenbo.com does have the Board Visor - how are the shipping costs? anybody dealt with them before? or should I wait til amdriver gets real popular thus more stores have em?

Edited by uminoken

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just my imagination, does anyone else notice an EVA influence?

I see what you mean, but it's not neccessarily Eva influence. Weapons like that have existed in anime for ages before Eva showed up. You even see a bit of that design ethic in the Destroids that show up in MII.

Still, with Eva's popularity, it is highly possible that it was the specific influence.

Just my 2 cents, that red one's massive gun seems to be more 'influenced' by Katoki's Xeku Eins. :p And I pretty much agree with Radd on that, anime like Tekkaman Blade and whatnot also have somewhat similar weaponry i.e. Real Robot style.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. My shipment from HLJ.com arrived today, suprisingly it only took about a week for my package to get here (SAL shipping usually takes two weeks). It's a pretty nice figure for the price you pay, you can tell right from the beginning that this series DEMANDS upgrades (as apparent by all the mounting points around the figure). The futuristic surfboard is a nice touch and there's also the option to grip it as a weapon. The only downside when the board is used as a weapon is that it's nearly impossible to pose (due to the weight). :D

The figure stands about three inches high and the paint job is pretty decent. It'd be nicer if the eyes were made from same material as Masterpiece Convoy's eyes. But the helmet is a very nice touch that brings me back to the days of G-Force and Bubblegum Crisis. The joints could be a little tighter seeing as it can't even hold a three point stance (again....ONLY while surfboard is in hand). But that's only a very minor annoyance. :lol:

I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures but you also get three sets of hands (open, closed, and gripping), two weapons, posing stand, and once again da COOL surfboard. :lol: This is definitely a series of figures that I'll look more into. B))

post-26-1085725709_thumb.jpg

Put some tits and high heels on the last one, then you got Sylia's hardsuit with Priss' helmet design. ;)

BTW, they gotta make some motorbikes for these guys.

Like this?

post-26-1085732835_thumb.jpg

Put some tits and high heels on the last one, then you got Sylia's hardsuit with Priss' helmet design. ;)

BTW, they gotta make some motorbikes for these guys.

Like this?

Sweet! Where did you purchase the cycle armor from? :blink:

Its not mine. Got the pic from a toyboard. Its from one of the visor sets.