Kids and your toys

APU

Here's an Idea; Valk-cam, a Micro camera installed in the head of one of your Valks and it will catch the littler twerps red handed. So the next time they say they didn't touch you collection, you show them the video of their little escapade in the (gasp forbidden zone)

Yeah, but the poor sap of a valk would still be pasted......

Yeah it be on heck of a clean-up job to get back in position. :lol:;):D

I too have a 2 year old son.

Its funny I was the one who introduced him to my toy lair, since he was about six months I would take him to the basement [where my toys are] to calm him down he really wouldn't ask to touch anything and be satisfied just looking. However, fairly recently I introduced him to Superman & Spiderman and since then he's been asking to touch everything. I usually give in when its just cheap action figures like superman, mcfarlane aliens he gets fraustrated when the joints doesn't bend his way. So far the only casualty is the mcfarlane robocop he threw out of fraustration breaking its legs. I don't give in for any of my expensive ones e.g. 1/48 valks, SOCs, chogokins etc.

awhile back I accidentaly left my Max 1/48 on the couch after playing with it, he got hold of it tried to "make it fly" surprisingly or luckly it didn't sustain any damage.

I've also got a 9 year old nephew who I sometimes pay $5.00 per hour to reorganize and dust my shelves and toys he does an excellent job actually in organizing shelves to avoid crowding toys. Never breaks, plays with, anything and comes up with "exciting" new toy re-positioning. He's my toy shelving analyst. Sometimes he surprises me with he's reasoning as to why he positions toys the way he did eg lighting, similarities etc.

I think if you speak to kids like adults and explain thing it will be fine of course some kids are just plain pricks/ brats mine you I've been lucky that I haven't had the pleasure of encountering any thus far.

How do you deal with kids and your collection? I have a 2 year old son and I have not had 1 single incedent with not even the smallest toy in my collection room. He knows not to touch anything in that room. I have had worlds smallest Transformers on display at his leval and the tiny Ravage has not even been tipped over....good boy. How about you guys?

I did what you did. Tell them no and and thats it. <_< I have a three and a two year old. I have a six month too be she can't even craw :) .

I have a three and five year old. Since the dawn of their existence I have taught them to respect other peoples' things, for the most part they wouldn't even think of grabbing my (or anyone elses for that matter) things without first asking. It also helps that I don't put my things in glass shelves but in black trunks with padlocks on them. If I feel I need to look at them for a trip down memory lane I simply open my yahoo photo album and gaze to my heart's desire. The whole outta sight outta mind thing works wonders. Besides that, though, I have had alot of things show up in the mail and each time (especially if their friends are over) they're good at saying "that's daddy's so we can't touch it untill he says ok". It also helps that I give them both alot of their own transformables so they can experience the joy.

What I don't fully understand is why some of us think that by locking our things away we prevent the enevitable from happening. I know that my kids will eventually find a way around my security. I liked the high voltage idea from one of the postees as well as the one about the uncle in Hawaii but by far the better way is through pacifying them. I can't speak for everyone but I know that from my own experience as a kid, if dad and mom told me that it wasn't to be touched and locked it away in the deepest, darkest part of their room I would do a "Mission Impossible" to get to it. I'd pick locks, climb through windows, whatever had to be done. Even though I'd rarely break anything, if it became "untouchable" it automatically became the next Holy Grail. Trust me people, getting discovered won't even rank among the top ten in a kids' concerns if that "grail" is shiny enough. I know my boys'll eventually get curious enough to try to find out what is inside the plethora of containments I have my collection stored. Hopefully by the time they're strong enough to unstack those boxes it'll be because I'm giving it to them...

I will have locked glass display cases by the time I have any kids, so their getting in there won't be a problem.  I have two bandai reissues saved that I can give to my (eventual?) kids when their interest is finally sparked.

Sounds like me but then again, some ppl say the way I am collecting I wont be on my way to getting married and having kids. :lol: Or better yet the way I dress has been criticized on this board. :ph34r:

The way YOU are collecting makes it seem that you are going to have a dynasty in the future.

I don't really have a problem with kids looking at my collection. Whether it be my nephews, nieces, younger cousins, I just snarl at them, and give them the evil eye, and they bugger off.

It's the damned adults I have a problem with. :angry:

You tell these overgrown babies NO TOUCH, but they still think it's cute when they poke it, stroke it, or even lift the fool things from the shelf, and give you a stoopid smile.

I got so fed up that I once threatened one lady who walked up to my collection and told her how expensive some of the toys are, and if she broke it, she buys it.

Guess what, they never listen (and they're called adults- feh!)

She made the mistake of picking up one my MSiA's by the head (which was already loose in the first place), and the neck broke off. She gave a small yelp when the body fell to the floor and the head was still in her fingers, and was apologetic.

I told her that I warned her, and I'm NOT considerate when it came to my toys. She had no choice but to pay me.

Now, whenever she visits, she stays as far away from my collection like a Vampire to sunlight. :lol:

I would have to say that my most valuable investment other than my collection is the display case i have. its full Anti-Child/Animal protection, Its a custom made Glass and metal case, its got staneless steel trim that holds it together and for handels for the doors and such, but its got a nifty surprise for anyone who touches the metal (wich you have to inorder to open the thing), upon touching any part of the metal you get a good 300,000 Volts of eletricity running through you (same as your average stungun) and on top of that the case has a lock too. the case was custom made and cost about 2k wich is not bad concidering the amount of glass in the thing, and it has a nice warning sticker to so im off the hook if someone touches it.

After all when you own 6 Low viz's amongst other presious valks, as well as several cats, a sister, and little cousins you cant be too careful! :ph34r::ph34r:

If you are serious, then please tell me how to build one, or PM me with the details :ph34r:

I got 5 kids so I keep them out of their reach about 2 feet from the ceiling on a shelf. I've never had any incidents, but since I've moved to Japan (earthquake central, worse than california) I've had to keep most in fighter mode. The only drawback is every 2 months or so I have to knock off the dut that accumulates.

I got 5 kids so I keep them out of their reach about 2 feet from the ceiling on a shelf. I've never had any incidents, but since I've moved to Japan (earthquake central, worse than california) I've had to keep most in fighter mode. The only drawback is every 2 months or so I have to knock off the dut that accumulates.

There was a relatively large tremor in my area (Osaka) last autumn while I was away for a couple of weeks in Aichi Prefecture. It was really long and there were three further aftershocks the following days. I remembered I had left my 1/48 Strike fully armoured with all the fix-ins in Battroid mode on my shelf and I expected to find it pulverized on the floor when I finally arrived home, but it was still upright, in "Target: Bodolzaa" pose as if nothing had happened. I was very impressed. Those things aren't as wobbly as they look.

Don't judge a hook by its lover. Or something.

My triplets are 10 months old and are starting to crawl. I need to start giving some serious thought what to do with my collection since a lot of it is sitting on open shelves. For now, I will probably box up some of it and move everything up high.

BTW - I noticed Ikea has those all glass, 3 shelved, cabinets for $80. I think they used to be $100. Pretty good deal if you are on a budget.