Gekijouban Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost ( 劇場版仮面ライダー555<ファイズ> 『パラダイス・ロスト』 )
Ishimori Productions/Asatsu DK/TV Asahi/Bandai Visual/Toei Co. Ltd., 2003
Not available in the U.S.
Directed by Ryuta Tasaki (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Kamen Rider Ryuki)
Based on Kamen Rider by the late Shotaro Ishinomori (1938-1998) (Cyborg 009, Android Kikaider)

Running Time: 81 minutes
Not Rated (Suggested TV-14). Contains graphic violence.

Cast
Kento Handa as Takumi Inui/Kamen Rider 555 Faiz/Wolf Orphenoch
Masayuki Izumi (1980-2015) as Yuji Kiba/Horse Orphenoch/Kamen Rider 000 Orga
Yuria Haga :wub: as Mari Sonoda
Peter Ho as Leo/Kamen Rider 315 Psyga
Ken Mizorogi as Keitaro Kikuchi
Yoshika Kato as Yuka Osada/Crane Orphenoch
Mitsuru Karahashi as Naoya Kaido/Snake Orphenoch
Kohei Murakami as Masato Kusaka/Kamen Rider 913 Kaixa
Katsuyuki Murai as Kyouji Murakami
Hitomi Kurihara :wub: as SMART Lady
Mei Kurokawa as Mina
Mokomichi Hayami as Mizuhara

Synopsis
In the near future, the world is ruled by the Smart Brain Corporation and its genetic creations known as Orphenochs, and the once prominent human race is nearing extinction. Takumi Inui (a.k.a. Kamen Rider Faiz), was once regarded as the savior of mankind until he was captured by Smart Brain's Riotroopers and presumed dead. Since then, human rebel groups have staged attacks on Smart Brain's complex in an attempt to steal the top-secret "King Belt," but with no success. Kiba, Kaido and Osada - three Orphenochs who sympathize the human race, attempt to ease the tension between both races, but their peace meeting is interrupted by Smart Brain's troops and their newest warrior Kamen Rider Psyga. Takumi, who had lived in secrecy over the past few years, regains his memory and once again becomes Kamen Rider Faiz to settle a score with Smart Brain once and for all.

Lowdown
If you're expecting a continuation of the Kamen Rider 555 series, you will be disappointed, as it has nothing to do with that continuity. Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost is an alternate retelling in the same way we compare the Escaflowne movie to the TV series. Paradise Lost has a much darker atmosphere than its TV counterpart. It's also more action-packed and more dramatic.

All the major characters of the TV series are here; most of them with the same characteristics - Mari still cuts hair, Takumi still can't stand hot drinks, and SMART Lady is as kawaii as ever. Other regular characters have undergone changes that are rather disturbing - Murakami, the evil Smart Brain executive, has been reduced to a head in a glass jar.

Unfortunately, many of the series' characters have been reduced to rather minor roles. Kusaka/Kamen Rider Kaixa only has five minutes of air time before he gets killed by Leo/Kamen Rider Psyga (played by American-born Hong Kong actor/singer Peter Ho, who speaks English throughout the entire film). Kamen Rider Delta is nowhere to be seen in the movie at all.

The CG special effects are several steps above those seen in the TV series, but many elements still look fake and cheesy, especially when Faiz and his transforming bike Autovajin battle the massive Elasmotherium Orphenoch in the Smart Brain Super Arena. On the other hand, the new Rider designs are nothing short of awesome - especially Orga and Faiz Blaster Form.

In short, Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost is loads of fun for fans of tokusatsu. Even the Ishinomori purists who refuse to watch the current generation Kamen Rider titles should check this film out.

Rating: B+

Reference
Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Trust me when I say you're not missing much on 555 gear. I've got a Kaixa and Delta gear, and they're not that impressive after a while of playing with, espically Delta. Atleast I got them for a good price. I think I spent 20 bucks on Kaixa, and 40 on Delta.

Don't know about the other gears (Delta or Kaixa or the movie ones), but I do get a kick out of the Faiz ones, all in the suit case. Nothing fancy with the electronics, but sort of like your lightsaber toy, but for the Kamen Riders instead. Just a nice geeky collectable I guess. But now that I modified the belt, it doesn't fit in the suit case no more. So I just hang it on the wall vertically in my room, while all the other stuff goes into the case. Don't care for the Blaster though. Just the belt & accessories for me. Normally I don't buy this kind of toys, but I do wanted a henshin belt for a long while. After watching Faiz a few years back (really like the show, my favorite modern Rider series), I couldn't help but get myself the whole set up. :D

Was eyeing on the Adult version back then, but 30000yen is just too much to ask for, especially when they took out some electronic gimmick on the adult version. It had diecast though. But nah, just the DX ones are fun enough.

• 7 years later...