Adding a FAST Pack to 1/60 Hikaru 1A

Batou

Here's hoping some of you heavy-duty modders can give me some ideas:

I'm looking at my 1/60 Hikaru 1J, and it keeps bugging me that you never once saw him in this valk wearing FAST packs. I plan on getting the 1/48 version with the FP's, which seems doubley silly, but hey - I just can't help myself (you guys can relate, right?) After having to cut my 1/48 FP order down to 2 (had to get the Elint and Super O, and had to draw the line somewhere), it looks like my 1/48 Hikaru 1A is going to have to go naked for a while. So anyway, I now have 2 FP-less Hikaru 1A's without anything to wear, and it occurs to me:

Why the heck don't I just attach the FP's from the Hikaru 1J to the 1A???

Well, as many of you are probably aware, this is a little more difficult that it seems. Since there aren't any attachment points on the 1A, I'm a little puzzled how to get the things on there. I guess I could just sand the attachment pegs away and glue them on, but I'd prefer to have them removable if at all possible.

I know I've seen people on these boards with either the Hikaru or Max 1A's wearing FAST packs. Can someone point me in the right direction here???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit in:

I guess it seems pretty obvious I'd have to do some drilling at some point, huh? Die cast, no less? I don't have any drills - nothing that could do delicate work like this, anyway.

Hmmm... maybe I ought to think about this. Any suggestions on how to do this on the cheap? Maybe sanding and drilling isn't so bad of an option. Unless someone has any better ideas?

Thanks again!

Edited by Batou

A few months ago, Yamato announced that they will release a 1/60 VF-1 upgrade kit that includes the following parts:

- Legs (with hardpoints for the FAST Pack leg armor and a new hip design to conceal a rather annoying gap when bent forward).

- Backpack (with hardpoints to accommodate the boosters).

- Arms (with hardpoints for the arm armor).

- GU-11 Gun Pod with collapsible handle (first introduced in the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie).

But the real question is: Is Yamato planning to follow through with this. I've got a Max 1A, and while he looks very nice, he screams for some FAST packs...

You probably can get away with finding somebody who has Yamato Valk parts that accept FAST packs, and paying them to give you their parts... That would be the easiest route.

Thanks for the response, guys.

I'm aware of the plans for the 1/60 FP upgrade kits, but I just don't feel like waiting for it (or paying for them either - if I'm going that route, I'd just rather cough up the $50 or so for a 1/48 FP kit). I don't mind getting a drill to do this (if it's not too much - again, anything over $30 or so, and I'll just get another 1/48 FP), but I'm not really confident as to whether or not I'll ruin it. I got my little 1/60 Hikaru 1A for cheap, but I'd rather not mangle him if I can help it. Glue and sanding don't bother me - I just don't want to cause any "permanent" damage, and would prefer to be able to remove the armor if at all possible.

Anyway, maybe it isn't possible without going to a lot of extra expense and trouble. I just can't help thinking that Hikaru's FAST pack would look much better (and correct) than having it on his TV 1J.

I know Monkey Nugget has a thread (

here) where he's putting together an order for Yamato parts, but I can't think of a single Valk in this color that accepts FAST packs. Remember - the Hikaru 1A was all white - NOT the off-white featured in all of the later models (including the Roy 1S Strike and Hikaru's Super 1J). That though had occurred to me to just swap the backpacks, but since the color is off, I'd wind up having to paint them both. Not a HUGE issue, but I'd rather avoid it.

Why don't you buy a VF-1S strike valk with armor, switch the -S head with the -A head, paint the chest plate stripe, and tada!

Because I'm a cheap bastard. :lol:

Seriously, because for the price of a Roy VF-1S Strike, I could just get a new fast pack for my 1/48 Hikaru, and then at least one of my Hikaru 1A's wouldn't be naked anymore. I hear what you're saying - I just don't want to spend much (if any) money on this.

• 2 weeks later...