1/48 BR "blue camo"

Jung

Another one for Gene, truely living up to his signature :blink: This is a custom Blue Roses "blue camo" scheme. Fun project but really, really tedious work masking the honeycomb digital camo. For the hexagonal masking "stickers" I actually built a hex puncher. I'll describe it at the end of my posts. Again thanks to devin for the great decals :)

fighter

post-4-1081370112_thumb.jpg

Another one for Gene, truely living up to his signature :blink: This is a custom Blue Roses "blue camo" scheme. Fun project but really, really tedious work masking the honeycomb digital camo. For the hexagonal masking "stickers" I actually built a hex puncher. I'll describe it at the end of my posts. Again thanks to devin for the great decals :)

fighter

oh~nO, this drive me crazy~

more please~!!

Couldn't find any commercial hexagonal hole punchers so had to build my own. Here's how I did it:

Materials:

1)hole puncher

2)set of hex keys

3)epoxy putty

take apart the holepuncher so you can thread your hex key through. Use putty to secure the hex key. Let it cure for the appropriate amount ot time. For the hex hole, I placed some putty and than wet the hex key and push it through the putty. Than let that cure, pretty easy.

For the masking stickers, I used thin cardboard with a glossy surface (comic book backing, cereal boxes etc..). Than just apply the masking tape on the glossy side so you can peal it off.

post-4-1081371969_thumb.jpg

I think I'll second EXO. This paint job just blows anything I've seen on this site away.

Hah... show THIS to Kawamori... Imagine a limited edition... muah....

funny thing is that if Yamato wanted to do this, they can do it easily ,than doing it by hand, with the greatly improved painting techniques in toy production. methinks :p

Again that thing is beautiful. About, how many hours did you put into the valk? That paint job just looks tedious. And, Where did the Idea of using a hex-camo style come from?

Edited by scand

I use enamel paints. Out of the 3 types of paints you encounter in modeling, enamels, lacquers and acrylics. Enamels and lacquers are the most durable, but ver toxic, use HIGH ventilation. Lacquers are very difficult to find though, you pretty much have to order them from Japan. Acrylics aren't as durable, but a lot less toxic to use(windex/soap and water to clean). Wear a respiration/filter mask whenever painting.

Aside from the durability of the paints, you really have to pay special attention to areas where the parts rub against each other. Sand those areas down (knees, wing housings, inside chest for the heatshield, arm joints, leg joints etc...) If you're uncertain, prime first, than put the valk back together and than transform it, it'll show you which areas needs attention and fixing.

Edited by Jung

Again that thing is beautiful. About, how many hours did you put into the valk? That paint job just looks tedious. And, Where did the Idea of using a hex-camo style come from?

too many hours :p

the paint scheme appeared in japanese magazines, there's 3 schems to the Blue roses squadron, the dark blue, this blue camo and a desert camo. I'll tackle the desert camo next to complete Gene's BR squadron