Flyable YF-19 for FS2002 (maybe 2004)

Chronocidal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, yep, I'm still alive.. just buried neck deep in other work. I'm working on a professional F-14 model at the moment for IRIS (company that makes payware FS aircraft (shameless plug ;) ) so my time's been mostly spent on that.

The FS YF-19 is pretty much workable, just no working cockpit gauges (no idea how to do those). I'm gonna try and get the afterburner flames to work a little better, then put what I have up for download I think. Just too much else to do. Technically it's done I guess, I just never made a good virtual cockpit for it. My methods have changed so much that I may redo the model later with a ton of fancy animation and programming, with even more detail, but that may be a while.. possibly for the next FS version. :?

I've been fooling with CFS3 again though, and I actually have a fairly workable YF-19 model for it, complete with working gunpod, and bombs, although missiles aren't really possible... I guess I could just make a giant load of rockets, but they don't seek at all. Even the cockpit gauges work, since I pasted them in from a stock model. :) I'm planning on making a YF-19/YF-21 pair, so you can dogfight in CFS3 with em.. dunno how that'll work, but it could be fun fighting online in something other than WWII planes. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Check this out.

http://simhq.com/_air5/air_174a.html

357708[/snapback]

Beat me to it. God damn now I really need to upgrade my system, first Lost Coast and now the prospect of MSFS with high resolution textures and HDR lighting? My wallet's about to get pretty thin.

• 5 weeks later...

i might be converting this over to the free flight simulator i earlier metnioned on the fan creations forum named flight gear.... all thats needed is redoing the flight physics from scratch .AIR files arnt used by flight gear

EDIT: screw that, turns out the documentation was bad on the site and the thing dosnt support importing anymore

Edited by evirus

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Well I hate to say it, but this thread looks deader than Elvis. I just read through the whole thing. Its too bad, this was the best implementation of a 19 in FS I've seen to date, including my own attempt in FS2004 witch ended when my HD died. I do still have a video if anyone is interested:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Anim...-19inaction.flv

I would have liked to try the most up to date version of this 19, but the only file link I see is at the first post. Any chance that you're still alive out there somewhere Chronocidal?

Sweet. Textures aren't working for me (In FSX) and it was only by luck that I was able to select it from the aircraft screen (It doesn't actually show up) but I was able to fly it. A much more flyable air file than mine was. Though the textures didn't show up, I could see you haven't had a lot of time to work on the cockpit. I'd be more than willing to make a nice cockpit model if you think you could add it. I need something to do in 3DS Max 9 to test it out. I've just moved from 8.

By all means, go for it :) I really don't care much for cockpit work, though with FSX it is getting a little better, since the cockpit is a separate model now, with less detail restrictions. I just wish I knew enough about the gauge programming system to come up with a decent set of working cockpit instruments for it. If you want the original model file to play with I think I can dig it up for you, or it may still be linked somewhere on the forum.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up since I've just graduated college and will be moving soon to a new job, but I do have a new exterior built with FSX in mind. It's still untextured, but if I find time in the next few months I may see about updating the visual model for FSX, fixing the texture bugs, higher detail textures, things like that. I'm hoping to add a few of the new FSX bells and whistles as well, like bump mapping, flexing animations, etc. It'll just be a while before I can work on that, I've got a pile of unfinished things to take care of before starting another project. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Sure, if you could send me that model, that would give me something to work off of. I don't actually now the first thing about the gauges, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. Either way, a nice high detail cockpit would be cool.

If you find the time to UV map, and make a basic texture for this new FSX model I wouldn't mind helping make the specular, and bump maps for that as well.

My E-mail

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry to add a tangent, but if you're knowledgeable about FS's is there any way to extract the simm models to some format a 3d ap can use?

I only ask cause I stumbled on 2-3 SRW models that would be a nice addition to the army, but never was able to get in touch with the author (email listed must have gone invalid)... This was for 2004 I think...

If there isn't then it's a loss, but if so it would be a great help! (I believe it's Koji Kabuto's saucer from Grendizer (he was a guest star throughout the series post Mazinger) and Double Spader and maybe one enemy mecha (saucer type).

Edited by Star Dragon

Hey guys sorry to add a tangent, but if you're knowledgeable about FS's is there any way to extract the simm models to some format a 3d ap can use?

I only ask cause I stumbled on 2-3 SRW models that would be a nice addition to the army, but never was able to get in touch with the author (email listed must have gone invalid)... This was for 2004 I think...

If there isn't then it's a loss, but if so it would be a great help! (I believe it's Koji Kabuto's saucer from Grendizer (he was a guest star throughout the series post Mazinger) and Double Spader and maybe one enemy mecha (saucer type).

I've never taken apart a compiled FS model. When working with them back in the day with my 19, I just replaced the old aircraft model with a new one each time a change was made. I do need to look into this though because I need to look into the F-18 and see how they did some of the things they did with it. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

If the aircraft you are looking for is real (I don't know what a SRW is, sorry) you might be able to find a model for it in a different location.

Chronocidal. I've got FSX up and running at home now, and I'd like to make another attempt to put my VF-1 in game. Did you use 3D studio Max 9? I'm having issues getting the plugins to work with it. Followed the FSX-A SDK help file, and its still giving massive errors when using any of the tools it added. I'm betting its 3DS9 that is doing it too.

Sorry about the delay getting you the model, I've been busy and haven't gotten to where I can get at my model files easily.

I do have 3DS Max 9, but I keep using 8 since I use older plugins which 9 can't use. It's been my experience that the FSX plugin set is a little... well, wonky. I don't know why it doesn't always work, but things are buggy all around in various ways. Nothing terrible in my case, but they do tend to generate a duplicate set of FSX tool menus each time I run the program. :p

I haven't been able to use it for a while since my computer is elsewhere, but I do think one of the updates to Acceleration included better plugins for Max 9. The originals were intended for Max 7, but worked in 8 as well, so I've been using them. If you have the newer ones and they still don't work, I'm not sure what might be wrong.. I can probably try and help you sort it out later this week when I get back to my apartment (just got back from a family vacation).

As for a way to extract models from the sim to a 3d application... well, I won't say it's impossible. But the truth is, you simply don't do it. Extracting the models is a huge no-no in the sim world, and it's very nearly impossible to do for a good reason. The Flight Sim addon business is a big deal nowadays, and people don't want their models ripped off, MS included. So the safest thing is to just regard extracting a model as something you never do. I don't know if it'd ever become a legal issue, but it's safer to just stay away from it.

For picking apart the F-18 though, I can definitely help there. :) I've been adapting a few of the plane's features to enable a working catapult setup on my F-14 model, and it's working pretty well so far. The trick to the F-18 is that it wasn't made by MS, it was made with outside help.. they contracted outside FS developers to do the model (one for the exterior, another for the interior, which is why the cockpit doesn't quite mesh with the fuselage <_<). So the F-18 doesn't use a lot of standard FS features in normal ways.. the catapult and tailhook are defined in the model, as are the burner effects. I can go into more detail later this week once I'm back to my sim computer, I've got a good set of notes and code snippets for how to get stuff to work. ^_^

Sweet, you are still alive ^_^

Yeah, send me that cockpit any chance you get. It'll give me something to do. As for testing, I don't know whats going on, but I can't get any textures to show up for your model in FSX. poo, I can't get any textures to show up for ANY custom models for FSX so far.

Thats some interesting stuff about the F18. WTF? Is it just me or is MS lazy as hell? How can they not make models for their own game?

I think part of the reason they contracted out was because they've never done a military model before. And frankly, considering the work that went into that cockpit, I'm glad they did. The exterior needs a good amount of work still, but the interior is a beauty.

Strange that the textures won't show up though.. usually direct FS2004 aircraft will work normally in FSX, but Acceleration has caused a lot of problems with old textures... something to do with reflection settings. I'll have to experiment when I get back to my apartment, which should be tomorrow afternoon.

No problem, in fact I've never had a real problem with anyone in the last 6 years of modding. I've had incidents but that's been because of third parties. (Chinaman in the case of Lestat, and Little Ludi for Raven Night).

IF I was able to contact the author MS wouldn't have a damn thing to say about it. :)

It's unfortunate.... So consider my inquiry ended. (until I can find a SRW modeler :) )

Especially since MS allows extraction for FREELANCER (probably the only MS game I played regularly beyond MechWarrior series). Tools are hosted on the official site.

As for Nanashi, SRW stands for Super Robot Wars, a series of games/movies in different incarnations that has been around for about 20+ years. Scramble Commander1/2 and Another Century1-3 are spawned from those creative roots.

I was merely curious becuase after an exhaustive google search I found them, I haven't played a dedicated "simm" since f-15 strike eagle on the Apple IIe... I got no patience for them, heh!

Oh that reminds me... I forgot, but there is one game out there where if you make a model for it and put it in their game it becomes THEIR property!?!?!? IS MS Flight simm like that? Sounds totally bogus to me. A work derivited from an existing franchise (paramount/Lucas) I can see, but not an original one!

MS definitely doesn't put any claim on models put in Flight Sim, there are many large businesses out there that make a living just by making and selling high end add-on packages for MS Flight Sim, including aircraft, scenery, sound effects, etc. It's a very diverse business, and I've gotten a bit of the action myself through the F-14 package I helped build a couple years ago.

I do remember playing Freelancer a LOT though, especially a large Star Wars conversion called Freeworlds. The one thing they never bothered to make available though was a method to make new hitboxes, meaning any new ship had to use the collision boxes from existing Freelancer ships. It was a disaster for a multiplayer SW mod, since nothing in that game even nearly resembles a tie fighter, and it made the game stats nearly impossible to balance.

• 4 months later...

I haven't been here for a minute!!!! :ph34r:

I see you have completed the YF-19!!!! I tested it out....good job!!!! B)) Oh boy....the bird is FAST!!!!!! I am flying it on FSX...With the Acceleration Pack!!! I didn't switch to DX-10 because it would become invisible like Wonder Womans jet!!! <_<

However I hate to be picky, but didn't the YF-19 nozzles moved inboard when max thrust is applied? Also, can you work on the textures so it wouldn't look too....."anime'ish"? The cockpit is spot on...except the main panel...... :wacko:

I don't want to sound ingrateful (I really wanted this bird for a LONG TIME), but now that I flown it (and wish I could do textures) I am about to put you on notice; I am a member of Flyaway Simulations, and once I nail some good screenshots, they will be posted there.

Prepare for some business.......those guys flipped over the Super Sylph .....and they are gonna freak out over this too!!

Again, great job.....If you like, I can send you the Super Sylph to see if you can make better textures.....

Here are some shots using FSX: Acceleration and the Real Environment Extreme (REX) add-on:

2008-12-25_3-7-16-802.jpg

Thrust Vectoring in action:

2008-12-25_3-5-34-338.jpg

Over Area 51:

2008-12-25_2-34-19-684.jpg

Reaching service ceiling:

2008-12-25_2-35-17-971.jpg

Goofing off:

2008-12-25_3-9-1-771.jpg

Now.... if you can throw textures like this -

2008-11-12_17-57-48-78.jpg

without losing the colors, you will have one great looking aircraft!

Hey, I've got this plane! Sweet work, Chrono. The nozzles tend to be in starboard roll position, whenever I fly... It doesn't affect anything besides aesthetics, but...

Anyway, I really like it. Especially the see-through cockpit. Ingenious idea, there. Sometimes, the texture messes up, though, allowing it to be seen from outside...

So, I say 9.995/10.