Flyable YF-19 for FS2002 (maybe 2004)

Chronocidal

Those look awesome!

One of the things I forgott to mention is how much I love the Virtual Cockpit. You did an excelent job with the floor screens, it really feels open with them. I cna't wait till you get some gauges in there. :p

Edited by Nied

don't wanna be a pain in the butt. but make it for xplane you can include thursters for in space. you got wingsweep and flaps. you got afterbruners and a better flight model . their is a guy who made a perfect vf-1 for xplane that works like a dream......check it out and make it for x-plane the real flight simulator

I would make one for X-Plane but for one thing: I don't think there is any way to model anything this complex in X-Plane. It would come out pretty badly, and probably wouldn't look much like the actual plane. Yes, X-Plane has thrusters, etc, and is realistic in that it actually calculates the flight specs for the plane.. but that is also it's greatest limitation. Since the game has to constantly do all these calculations, you can only make the model in the X-Plane software, which, frankly, in my experience, is nothing short of craptacular. There is no real control over shapes (ALLL of the fuselage parts are simple cylinders and you have to work with the number of cross sections given you.. no control over polygons at all), and angled wings and tails like on the YF-19 are impossible, at least with the version I have. You can manage to do some nice aircraft, but in the case of something this complex, you run out of parts to use REALLY fast. Also, there is no way to alter the way the textures are mapped, so these textures would never work.

There is actually a YF-19 for X-Plane believe it or not though.. it came with the game. It's called simply a "Japanese Anime" plane to avoid copyright infringement, but it's clearly a YF-19. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Edit: Here it is... good grief that's hilarious...suffice to say you get nothing but big cylinders to work with, and only get about 8 cross sections per part. The YF-19's fuselage alone needs about 30 separate cross sections to get the shape right.

I did make a pretty darn detailed VF-1 once for this program, but the people in charge of the next version compressed all the textures into one map, and killed any chance it had of nice detail.. the model was decent, but the VF-1 is VERY simple compared to the YF-19, and is much easier to make... course, I still had to use fuel tanks to make the fuselage. SEVERE lack of modeling options. :p They also changed the texture format for the new version, and it corrupted the way the textures were applied, so it looks like crap now. :(

post-5-1083211890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

:lol:

I'm so glad you chose Flight Simulator.

I finally tried it, and the first time I took it for a spin, I got the thing into an upside-down barrel roll while falling slowly to the ground.. which I couldnt get out of for some reason..

It's most fun to fly though :D

Great job! I cant wait for the textures and such!

Simply awesome work guys!

To bad there is not a flight sim game engine that can handle actual weapons, then we could have some real fun!

Well I did a little bacck ground checking and I found..well re-found a combat flight sim that might do the trick. "Strike Fighters : Project 1" On of hte active forums for it can be found here:http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=55

Sounds like you can do your models in Max and then some how export them into the game. Although I have yet to find a tut on how to manage all of this. Not to mention the game is now out of print.

Edited by AncientAngel

Soon, I hope.. I've got two weeks coming where I've got nothing to do, so I should be able to get some major work done soon. :) I might just release the mirrored version, then do a non-mirrored one later, since it will require a whole new set of maps. :p

Very nice ...excellent model ..

Let me just say this, I spent the past 5 hours trying to get FS2004 to run on my system. In the ended it was just easier to Reinstall my whole OS and start over from scratch to get this bugger to run.

Man this baby is fast, blew the doors off of a 747-400 on take off and this was giving it a 1 minute head start ..

I can not wait to see more Macross ships flying around in this game. Maybe the CG guys would let us use a few of there VF's later on down the road for this. :)

Incredible work you've done there Chrono. This finally convinced me to reinstall FS 2004 so that I could try it out.

It's absolutley insane trying to get this thing to fly straight though. Someone mentioned that they managed to get the valk in an inverted position and wasn't able to roll back to level flight. This happened to me too.

Plus, while I was playing around, I figured it might be cool to try and get the 19's nose to point straight up, do continuous rolls and have it move sideways (Isamu did the same thing when he first got his hands on the 19). Surprisngly it worked!... Until I ended up in an inverted spin from using the rudders too much.

I would have loved to take a picture of the contrail that was left in my wake... It looked like a huge helix going straight up.

Incredible work you've done there Chrono. This finally convinced me to reinstall FS 2004 so that I could try it out.

It's absolutley insane trying to get this thing to fly straight though. Someone mentioned that they managed to get the valk in an inverted position and wasn't able to roll back to level flight. This happened to me too.

Plus, while I was playing around, I figured it might be cool to try and get the 19's nose to point straight up, do continuous rolls and have it move sideways (Isamu did the same thing when he first got his hands on the 19). Surprisngly it worked!... Until I ended up in an inverted spin from using the rudders too much.

I would have loved to take a picture of the contrail that was left in my wake... It looked like a huge helix going straight up.

To have the 19 and not pull an Isamu is committing a sin against the aircraft :ph34r: I did the same when I first downloaded it. Managed to make a circus tent-like shape :D

Heheh.. With some of the stuff I've done, the contrails look more like heart-rate monitors. :D I have found some very weird things with maneuvering though.. If you roll for long enough, with the rudder, eventually it seems you get into a perpetual unrecoverable spin/roll, but you still generate lift...so you eventually hit the simulator max altitude, and just stay pinned there, rolling around and spinning, all while the indicated speed is zero... flying backwards sideways, upside down and forwards. I got into one of these things once, and spent half an hour trying to recover.. never regained control, but never crashed either. :p I just had to reset the sim.

Heheh.. With some of the stuff I've done, the contrails look more like heart-rate monitors. :D I have found some very weird things with maneuvering though.. If you roll for long enough, with the rudder, eventually it seems you get into a perpetual unrecoverable spin/roll, but you still generate lift...so you eventually hit the simulator max altitude, and just stay pinned there, rolling around and spinning, all while the indicated speed is zero... flying backwards sideways, upside down and forwards. I got into one of these things once, and spent half an hour trying to recover.. never regained control, but never crashed either. :p I just had to reset the sim.

Yeah, thats what I did.. It was crazy. Like I was facing straight up, but I was kinda falling.. ever so slowly. If I was the pilot, I woulda puked.. like 5 times

Managed to do that too, lol :D

I started wondering how convenient it would've been to have a "limiter" on this thing, like what Guld had on the 21. I could turn it on and have an easier time flying the valk :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, not at the moment.. I've been swamped with tests and work, haven't been able to work on anything for about two weeks. :S I still have the entire cockpit to do, so it'll still be a little while, but the exterior is done.

Well that sounds like an update to me! ;) Are you working on the regular cockpit or the VC? I think I mentioned before that I loved that VC even without gauges (now that FS9 has clickable virtual cockpits I don't even use the 2-D panels anymore). If you need any assistance with the layout I'd love to help.

emm... not really, no unfortunately. I've had to put pretty much all my hobbies on hold while I finish up my last two weeks of classes. But things should lighten up over the summer, and I'll be able to finish the cockpit, and release the final version of this thing.

emm... not really, no unfortunately. I've had to put pretty much all my hobbies on hold while I finish up my last two weeks of classes. But things should lighten up over the summer, and I'll be able to finish the cockpit, and release the final version of this thing.

I may have already said this but I'd be happy to help you in any way that I can (textures, or compatability testing etc.). Otherwise I gotta say that I can't wait to see the finished product.