Macross Super Dimension Figure 002 Series

areaseven

Which toy do you have?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which toy do you have?

• Variable Type VF-1S Valkyrie
    • Variable Type VF-1J Valkyrie (Millia type)
    • Action Figure Type VF-1S Valkyrie
    • Action Figure Type VF-1J Armored Valkyrie
    • Action Figure Type Destroid Tomahawk
    • I have all of them!

Macross Super Dimensional Figure 002 Series

Kaiyodo & Movic, 2004

This past Saturday, at the Wizard World Convention in Long Beach, CA, I picked up a couple of these trading figures at US$3 a pop. And I must say that I'm very impressed by the way Katsuhisa Yamaguchi designed these small figures. Here's a review on the two that I've opened so far:

--

Variable Type VF-1J Valkyrie (Millia type)

Even though it's roughly half the size of the Banpresto Valkyrie, this toy is much more impressive, thanks to its innovative design. Sure, you have to deal with a lot of tiny parts, but each mode is nothing short of impressive. Many argue that Toynami's MPC has the best Gerwalk mode, but they're dead wrong, as this mini-figure takes that title (and yes, it actually looks better than Yamato's 1/48 in Gerwalk mode). For every Valkaholic, this is one that should be in your collection.

Fighter Mode: B+

Gerwalk Mode: A+

Battroid Mode: B-

--

Action Figure Type VF-1J Armored Valkyrie

Twenty-three points of articulation. By most action figure standards, that's pretty average, but we're talking about a $3 PVC figure that's barely three inches tall! The head can move up, down and rotate. There are working missile pod covers everywhere: one on each shoulder and four on each leg. No other PVC figure (not even Bandai's Gundam Ultimate Operation figures) can strike a pose like this Armored Valk.A+

I'm new to MW and Macross toys, but I bought a Tomahawk of that series.

I know it's Your review, but if You don't mind, I'll give it a try...

Action Figure Type Destroid Tomahawk (MBR-04-MkIV)

Thirteen points of articulation - not as much as the armored VF-1J, but only two are missile pod covers. (14 points if you count the head, which is attached to the torso by a pin.) Just like the VF-1J it's capable of striking some impressive poses. (Ranging from a stiff BattleTech Warhammer stance to some nice Anime battle pose.)

The paint job is done really well, including some nice worn/dirt effects. (Though I don't have any reference here, I just think it looks awsome!) A+

• 1 month later...