CG VF-11

mighty gorgon

YES!!!  I think that scheme (hellohikaru's) would make the VF-11 a great companion to your incredible VF-4, Gorgon.

I second that!!! :D

Hi folks, I've been rather busy lately. I always thought I would make the '11 in some kind of Flanker scheme (Su-30 MKI), but the Sundowner looks great!!!

As for the model, I just did some "minor" work on the VF-11. Opened the intakes and drilled the hinges of the legs. Plus the canopy framing. I attach 2 images. Green indicates "old" surfaces (still in NURBS). Gray are the new surface. As you will see, the number of surface elements is starting to grow (19.000 something polys)

Regds,

Gorgon (the busy)

p.d.: I am planning to work on the '11 for a good part of this afternoon...

post-5-1084648281_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No much work lately... actually I'm spending most of the (little) time modelling fiddling with some weird nodes. This is when I start hating LW, CD models, and... say... 63% of humanity... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Take a look at this detail. I've redone the detail shown, some 3 or 4 times and I CANNOT GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Ok, calm down now... Maybe is time to move to cockpit detail or some skin...

Regds,

Gorgon

post-5-1086136115_thumb.jpg

Spent many hours of the weekend with the mesh, mostly detailing the legs. Actually, opening the mesh to accomodate the exhausts and arms. Not too much to show, but here are some renders anyway...

(edit: always green surfaces are surfaces not yet completed)

post-5-1086573918_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Beautiful model! I just wish I could use it in some game or other... Maybe it'd be possible to cut down the polys in the future and make an FS9 version?

Well, it is the other way around. I have a mesh "frozen" before the detailing that I guess can be used for an FS, at around 3000 polys (no landing gear!).

Regds,

Gorgon

Beautiful model! I just wish I could use it in some game or other... Maybe it'd be possible to cut down the polys in the future and make an FS9 version?

Well, it is the other way around. I have a mesh "frozen" before the detailing that I guess can be used for an FS, at around 3000 polys (no landing gear!).

Regds,

Gorgon

So that'll take more than 3000 polys with the landing gear?

So that'll take more than 3000 polys with the landing gear?

You know.... depending how much detail you put on it. I guess that using gear doors, simple (cylindrical) legs and cylindrical wheels it should not take much more than some extra 200/300 polys. Which is a reasonable limit for a FS model? I think some of the other 3000 can be trimmed down a little (the extra 200/300 maybe).

(FS = Flight Sim? CFS)

Regds,

Gorgon

(edited: image of the "low poly" mesh added)

post-5-1086740277_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Actually, there's a lot more leeway in how high the polycounts can go... my YF-19 is up around 20,000, and runs beautifully. It's just because of the nature of FS.. you only have one plane really visible at a time. :) Thing is, the model will have to be changed quite a bit for FS, practically rebuilt in many ways, since all the control surfaces, etc. need to be modeled separate (not just cut out, but actually shaped separately so they move realistically), and a lot of things have to be added. If you'd be willing to let me borrow your model though, I think I could probably bang out an FS version in a couple of weeks after classes let out. :)

Started working on the airbrakes (open) and on the undercarriage. I do not have a "credible" reference on the exact size of front and reart wheels. Macross planes tend to have very small wheels when compared with actual warplanes. For this image I added wheels the approximate size of an F-18 undercarriage. They look big for a Macross, but reasonable from a current airplane. As of today, my plan is to use a F-18 style rear landing gear (no clear idea for the front), as it retracts backwards (well mostly), and sits very low (as in the VF-11). The F-18E/F has even the serrated edges!

post-5-1086838718_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

I hope this helps. The airbrakes for the VF-11B are shown in the link I provided. As for it's landing gears, I can only speculate that the front & rear landing gear should look close to the F-15's.

VF-11B in Fighter Mode

F-15 Strike Eagle with Landing Gears Down

F-15 Strike Eagle with Landing Gears Down 2

F-15 Strike Eagle with Landing Gears Down 3

Angel's Fury, thnx for the references of the airbrakes. As for the F-15 gear, the problem is it folds forward (see also here and here). Just inverting it one can create some geometrical problems, as struts meant to absorb tension become members in compression and the geometry should be changed (thicker for compression struts).

Heck! Looking at these photos I realized *again* what a beautiful plane the F-15 is... Ok, I'm digressing.

Chronocidal, I have no problem in giving you the "low poly" mesh. My "high ploy" mesh will have as realistic as possible moving surfaces (I plan to be able to make a limited animation in LW). Again, references should help. The wings of the VF-1 are patterned on the F-14, but for the VF-11? The reference could be a Flanker? An F/A-18E?

Regds,

Gorgon

Edited by mighty gorgon

Angel's Fury, thnx for the references of the airbrakes. As for the F-15 gear, the problem is it folds forward (see also here and here). Just inverting it one can create some geometrical problems, as struts meant to absorb tension become members in compression and the geometry should be changed (thicker for compression struts).

Heck! Looking at these photos I realized *again* what a beautiful plane the F-15 is... Ok, I'm digressing.

Chronocidal, I have no problem in giving you the "low poly" mesh. My "high ploy" mesh will have as realistic as possible moving surfaces (I plan to be able to make a limited animation in LW). Again, references should help. The wings of the VF-1 are patterned on the F-14, but for the VF-11? The reference could be a Flanker? An F/A-18E?

Regds,

Gorgon

Now that I look at the pictures again, you're right!!! The F-15's front landing gear folds forwards whereas the VF-11B's front landing gear fold backwards. How about its' rear landing gear?

It seems like the F-18's landing gear would be best suited for the VF-11B. Just add like a cover or something in front of the front landing gear like this. B-2 Front Landing Gear

100% agree. There seems to be no problem with that. Check these two pages (IMHO the best "walkaround" I've seen of ANY landing gear), of an F-18E/F.

Page 1

Page 2

You will notice that the L.G. cover of the F-18 has 3 elements. A front one that opens to the interior and two back doors. It seems easy to redesign the front door as in the B2 photo you sent.

Time to 3d model!!!!

Regds,

Gorgon!