CG VF-11

mighty gorgon

Hi folks, work on the VF-4 is going sloooooow... I've been working for 2 weeks (without major success), on rendering the exhaust gases. So, I decided to jump back into modeller and start on a new project, a VF-11. I would love to model a 5000, but I still lack some references, so here is the result of the first day on the -11 at the modeller.

Regds,

Gorgon

p.d.: 622 polys so far, mainly to get the proper shape of the nose.

post-5-1080011675_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Lookin foward to seeing how this Valk progresses. Looking good so far! :lol:

can't wait to see more...Im going to print them for reference on the toy!

So far is a rough sketch, based on the drawings on the... Damn! I don't have the reference here (at work!).

And a question... If I use your model as reference and you use mine as reference... our models will get "recursive"???? :blink:

Regds,

Gorgon

which program are you using Gorgon?

It's LightWave 3D Version 7 or above. That little icon on his Statistics Pop-Up window is a dead give-away.

By the way Gorgon, really nice start on one on my favorite VF designs. Keep those updates coming.

Edited by mechaninac

how much does that program cost?

It's pretty expensive. At Amazon you'll get it for 1600 u$s. I am using 7.5... c or d... I don't remember, as I am some thousand miles from my rendering PC.

Regds,

Gorgon

p.d. to Gerwalker: the rainbow was here a couple of days ago, but it's still raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Back from holidays got a couple of hours to work on the -11. Finished the major volumes and started detailing some of them in subpatch (nurbs), the green ones (the colors are used only to distinguish which parts are already in SubD).

However...

post-5-1081726698_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

the head goes there. lol

"head"??? I thought this was a plane!!! :D:D

now, the head goes there but there should be some fairing, 'cause is pretty flat, as shown in the Macross Plus OVA 1. I still cannot get a good fairing or the same height between arms and the head fairing (as in the Yamato toy).

post-5-1081742223_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

My suggestion: if your not making this thing transform, and I assume you're not, just make the plane look 'right'. The VF-11 (and every other VF for that matter) is fudged in the animation to make each mode look good. Just do the same with your CG version. Be as accurate as possible without sacrificing the lines of the plane. I beleive this type of distortion is even done to the CG models in Mac Zero since Yamato had to replace the nose of the toy to maintain accuracy in fighter and battroid modes.

Edited by Mule

Actually, I imagine by going CG they would hope to conserve the actual structures of the plane.. my impression was that they only made the nose swappable so the legs would have a place to mount without deforming the nose horribly. I think they're two versions of the same size nose, one with leg mounts, and one without.

I do agree with that idea though, I'd say go for the looks, and make fighter mode look good. Once you've got that down, you can work it into a transformable model later if you want. :)

From Graham in this thread.

The toy does not feature perfect transformation. The toy comes with two different swapable noses, one for battroid mode and one for fighter mode.

This allows the toy to have a nose which is in-proportion for both modes, i.e. a long nose for fighter mode, and a shorter nose for battroid mode.

You can do anything in CG, why limit yourself to real-world constraints? I think they used CG in Mac Zero so they could get more detailed images than would be possible with hand animation, not to get perfect transformation.

Back on topic though, what ever gorgon decides, I can't wait to see the finished product. His VF-4 looks great. B))

Agree with most comments... "anime magic" is at work here. With the help of some CG magic and "unauthorized creativity", things are looking better now. For the moment I plan to do it "fighter only", however at this point nothing prevents it to become a transformable model.

I attach 2 images. The green sub-assemblies are already in NURBS.

Regds,

Gorgon

(p.d.: I'll go back to the VF-4 for some final touches soon, I hope)

post-5-1082821079_thumb.jpg

In this image you can see the fudging. The intakes are very "curvy" in the inside. With this I accomodate the head fairing and also the fact that in front views the intakes completely cover the rear engines/legs. From this angle they don't look 100% however. In any event I'll wait to see how they look when I cut the details of the intake afte the detailing of the mesh.

Regds,

Gorgon

post-5-1082821254_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon