what about SDP-1 ?

DABDOUB

Hy there. I love the Stampede Valkyrie it looks really cool, awesome and more, but Ireally dont know who made it. Did Kawamori designed it?

In wich part of the series does it fits?

Is there any part of the macross series where I can take a look of this Valk in action?

Yup, Kawamori designed it during the early nineties for a game (don't remember which one). It does not really fit anywhere in the continuty, though, even if the Big Head Himself appears to really like the concept (heck, he even sketched a Stampede Thunderbolt, SDP-11?)

And, nope, besides the game, it doesn't appear anywhere else. Bad thing, I'd love to see it kicking anything.

Edited by Lindem Herz

IIRC- The Stampy appears in either the Macross Skull Leader, or Macross: Remember Me warfare strategy games.

Go HERE to look at the games.

I've never found any .roms for these (or for that matter, an emulator for the PC880 that works on my Mac), so I haven't had the chance to play them. But they look pretty cool, though.

Hy there. I love the Stampede Valkyrie it looks really cool, awesome and more, but Ireally dont know who made it. Did Kawamori designed it?

In wich part of the series does it fits?

Is there any part of the macross series where I can take a look of this Valk in action?

The Stampede Valkyrie was drawn by Shoji Kawamori.

Approved by Big West, Family Soft, without consulting Studio Nue for specs or information included it as the "SDP-1 Stampede Valkyrie" in their NEC PC9801 Macross: Remember Me? They wrote up info on it (which is not considered official). The weapons were designated by Kawamori on his design sheet-so those are cannon.

For info on the Stampede Valkyrie see here:

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat/vari/sdp1.html

Yup, Kawamori designed it during the early nineties for a game (don't remember which one). It does not really fit anywhere in the continuty, though, even if the Big Head Himself appears to really like the concept (heck, he even sketched a Stampede Thunderbolt, SDP-11?).

I thought the sketch actually shows how he refined SDP-1 and got the VF-11.

FV

Although I love the Stampy design, I'm not terribly fond of the Gundam colors.

But that's just me.

I suppose when you're packing that much damn firepower, you can paint your valk whatever color you like. ;)

I agree, though... I've always imagined it battleship gray and black, when looking at his Designworks sketches.

Yup, Kawamori designed it during the early nineties for a game (don't remember which one). It does not really fit anywhere in the continuty, though, even if the Big Head Himself appears to really like the concept (heck, he even sketched a Stampede Thunderbolt, SDP-11?)

And, nope, besides the game, it doesn't appear anywhere else. Bad thing, I'd love to see it kicking anything.

Some of the same elements that were used in VF-1/SDP-1 Stampede Valkyrie can be seen later in the VF-11's design. However, there never was a Stampede version of the VF-11 Thunderbolt.

I had the impression the fuel pack was optional and could be ejected.

No SDP-11 huh? Well there goes that thought bubble. Is the SDP project official within the Macross universe?

Not exactly. Officially it is known simply as "Stampede Valkyrie". I think it was Family Soft that came up with the SDP-1 designation. However the Stampede Valkyrie, has not yet debuted in the official timeline/productions.

However, there never was a Stampede version of the VF-11 Thunderbolt.

My bad, my bad, I expresed myself wrongly. What I was talking about is a little drawing that appeared in the Stampede Valkyrie section of the SK Design Works, titled as Stampede Valkyrie VF-11 (page 71), which is what I think (at least it looks like it) a concept of what would be a Stampede Thunderbolt. The SDP-11 designation was a joke.

Didn't notice that one. Just found it in my book. I'd call it a SDP-11 though :D

On the topic of HK drawn fighters that may or may not be official, was the Nova competition series deemed Cannon or not? It seems only two planes lived to cannonicity from the Nova competition: The VF-3000 (Coolest plane IMO) and the VF-9. Were any others considered Cannon (And was the Nova project itself Cannon?)

By the way, you may already know this, but the Stampede was listed in the HK book under 'game&Advanced Valkyrie' So was the VF-4...

Edited by Boxer

On the topic of HK drawn fighters that may or may not be official, was the Nova competition series deemed Cannon or not? It seems only two planes lived to cannonicity from the Nova competition: The VF-3000 (Coolest plane IMO) and the VF-9. Were any others considered Cannon (And was the Nova project itself Cannon?)

The Nova line was supposed to be pretty much another universe of its own, about the life of some test pilots and the planes they flew (sounds familiar? thought so. SK probably reused a lot of his basic ideas from Nova in Macross Plus). Besides of the VF-3000 and the VF-9 (based on the non-transformable VF-X-10), no other design has achieved canon status in the Macross Universe... yet.

Kawamori LIKES to use his designs, you know. He did planned to use the VF-9 (then called Baron Rouge III-C or something like that) in Knights of the Sky (the project which supposedly became later on Escaflowne, also known as Air Calvary Chronicles); and even then he salvaged quite a few from it, the A-9B becoming the VA-3 Invader and the Fz-109G Sturmzorene became after a little facelift (and a little merger with the Fz-109A Elgerzorene) the Varuta Fz-109 Elgerzorene.

I'd frankly LOVE to see some Nova aircraft (the non-variable ones) featured somewhere in Macross. They would be great as a part of the UN Air Force, if anything but to really show that aerospace overtechnology isn't just variable fighters. Specially the VF-X-11, the VF-X-7 Ghost Valkyrie and the VA-X-3 (which, by the way, was made variable into the AF-49 for KotS). Or the Seiran-99Kou, I DIG that Flanker lookalike. B))

WTB, there is a way cool variable F-4 called LV-7 Valorious Rapier in page 153 of the SK Design Works.

Edited by Lindem Herz

So what happens to that huge fuel/thruster pod when it transforms? I guess it goes to the same nebulous place that Optimus Prime's trailer does :)

Fuel pod? I thought that was a bitch-load of ordinance, the "aniti-ship" portion of it.

I have the Escaflowne collector's edition, so I know how you feel. I wish he went forward with Calvalry Air Chronicals (I think that's what it was called...) instead of Escaflowne. The main mecha at the beginning of the book would have been an awesome counterpart to the VF series.

Of the NOVA series my favorite has to be the 3000. I'm still mystified as to why the 5000 was selected over this cool plane for Macross 7. Maybe the 3000 will make it's star appearance in the next series?

I'd love to see a Macross version of the Silver axe...

IIRC- The Stampy appears in either the Macross Skull Leader, or Macross: Remember Me warfare strategy games.

Go HERE to look at the games.

I've never found any .roms for these (or for that matter, an emulator for the PC880 that works on my Mac), so I haven't had the chance to play them. But they look pretty cool, though.

It appeared in Macross: SkullLeader (MS-DOS game). I had a duplicate copy (6 floppy set) from a friend at one time. Not terribly entertaining. Game is rather short, and sound gets repetitive and annoying after the first hour. Wonder if I still have those floppies.