The Unofficial Macross Sight Gag Thread

So random. but I just noticed a Zentraedi ship with Harlocks skull on it in Ep 27 Ai Wa Nagareru! Did anyone else see this? I don't know the exact time but its about 1 minute after Minmay starts singing, and a couple seconds after the Orguss Valkyrie shows up.

52 minutes ago, lavinrac said:

So random. but I just noticed a Zentraedi ship with Harlocks skull on it in Ep 27 Ai Wa Nagareru! Did anyone else see this? I don't know the exact time but its about 1 minute after Minmay starts singing, and a couple seconds after the Orguss Valkyrie shows up.

Yes, this is a known in-joke inserted by Studio Nue as a reference to their other work.

Specifically, that's a nod to Studio Nue's then-recent work designing the new (green) version of Phantom F. Harlock's signature spaceship Arcadia for the Summer 1982 movie Arcadia of My Youth.  (Studio Nue had also designed the blue version of the Arcadia for the 1978 Space Pirate Captain Harlock series, but were asked to design a new version of the ship since the model kit rights to the original resided with Takara and their rival Bandai was the licensee for Arcadia of My Youth.)