Yamatos Macross Valkirie or Robotech Masterpiece

joscasle

HI!

I have some money right now and I want to spend it in a Macross/Robotech toy.

Here in Costa Rica we don't have a lot of choices of Macross/Robotech toys, I found a Robotech Masterpiece Volumen 3 Roy's VF-1S and a Yamato Macross DYRL 1/60 VF-1A Valkirie Max type.

I want to know wish of these 2 toys is bether?

thanks

HI!

I have some money right now and I want to spend it in a Macross/Robotech toy.

Here in Costa Rica we don't have a lot of choices of Macross/Robotech toys, I found a Robotech Masterpiece Volumen 3 Roy's VF-1S and a Yamato Macross DYRL 1/60 VF-1A Valkirie Max type.

I want to know wish of these 2 toys is bether?

thanks

This depends on what you want in your toy.

Do you want a nice display piece, or do you want something you can fiddle with?

As a toy to fiddle with, I can not recommend either toynami or yamato, as a yamato 1/60th has lots of parts swapping, and the toynami is well, its a toynami! Do a search and you will find all the hate threads dedicated to these :p

Best valks for flat play value are still the chunky monkey bandai/takatoku.

If you want the best display valk the 1/48th is the best way to go.

The 1/60th is great for a fan on a budget, as these can be found for fairly cheap nowadays. I have a 1/60th focker I am actually willing to let go of for a reasonable price.

Toynami, okay I have handled one, and it is not horrid, but for the love of god don't spend 80 dollars on it! This thing should have been in the 30 to 40 range to start with.

Edited by GobotFool

Go here...

Read the positives/negatives about each toy...

Buy whatever you like.

Ignore everyone else's opinion like the plague.

The review is a pretty thorough comparison by a longtime MW board member - it should steer you toward what you're looking for.

My opinions:

Toynamis aren't worth getting unless you're getting it cheap and even then I'd be careful. I was very disapointed in mind. Too bad I didn't know about Yamatos then. ;)

The Bandais are reasonably costed, very durable and good for banging around but are not as detailed or poseable.

As to the Yamatos. I don't yet own a 1/48, so I can't offer a solid opinion on it. I do have one coming in the mail, though...

The 1/60 Yamato is IMO a fine figure. A lot of the people who don't like them point to the lack of a perfect transformation as a flaw, and while I'd prefer a perfect transformation over a non, I have to say I'd take a well designed figure without it (the Yamato 1/60) vs. a poorly designed figure with it (the Toynami).

I guess it all depends what you're looking for. I'd recommend any of the other three (Bandai, Yamato 1/60 or Yamato 1/48) over the Toynami one no matter what you're looking for...

Yamato (48's) - for sheer acurracy (and beauty) of the sculpt

Bandai (55's) - for sheer playability and tough construction

Toynami - don't know....never hand one and never will

If comparing the Toynami with Yamato, I have to TOTALLY disagree with this statement. Toynami's are soooooo badly made that I left mine in it's box. I couldn't even get the thing to stand. If you like packaging better than the product, then get the Toynami.

Even if you can find a Toynami for $30, it's still a rip-off. $20, maybe.

If comparing the Toynami with Yamato, I have to TOTALLY disagree with this statement. Toynami's are soooooo badly made that I left mine in it's box. I couldn't even get the thing to stand. If you like packaging better than the product, then get the Toynami.

Y'all better be careful, because there's a rabid MPC guy on here that would love this thread! :D

hey guys thanks for the comments and recomendations, but you take this thread to personal, it was just a question... :D

completely agree however keep in mind that certain words written is the same as waving a red flag in front of blue. for future reference i would advise to use caution with:

robotech

toynami

harmony gold

masterpiece and/or MPC

carl macek

welcome to the board

hey guys thanks for the comments and recomendations, but you take this thread to personal, it was just a question...  :D

completely agree however keep in mind that certain words written is the same as waving a red flag in front of blue. for future reference i would advise to use caution with:

robotech

toynami

harmony gold

masterpiece and/or MPC

carl macek

welcome to the board

Man, Mr. Disco... you're like the George Carlin of MW... you said all those words in one post! :o

Now go wash your mouth out... here's the blowtorch...

:p

I didn't take it personal at all. You asked. We helped. It's your money.

Go ahead and buy the MPC... then you'll be taking it personal, too. :D

Yeah no kidding.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and IMO threw my money away...

I really don't like doing that...

hey guys thanks for the comments and recomendations, but you take this thread to personal, it was just a question... :D

Thanks

I really don't think "personal" is quite the right word. I just read the replies as people wanting to HELP you not make the same mistakes they feel they did by purchasing the MPC.

Now, on a more personal note, I don't know how anybody would buy the MPC. I mean, just look at it! The thing looks like a bad Bandai bootleg. :D

Where is he? I'd like to hear what he has to say.

This MPC guy should try taking his MPC out of the box; maybe he'll change his mind. :)

Or maybe, he's just a fan of flash-lights.

If you meen me then Im right here, and how can you prove me wrong with your opinion. Opinions meen nothing to me unless I ask and if its a ignorant person getting upset over a toy then your opinion is a joke to me. I like both MPC and Yamato. I hardly ever heer anybody say that that the Yamatos are just as unstable. Who wants to take their toys apart to transform it? Who wants to squeez a little piece of plastic in the nosecone in fighter mode? The wheels dont lock and the missiles barley stay on with those little ass pegs. We all know that MPC has its problems but if you want to bash a toy for its flaws(Masterpiece) then make sure what you praise (Yamato) is flawless.

You have your opinion. That's cool.

Toynami and Yamato both have their flaws... in fact, they're quite similar:

- Yamato makes a good toy, but their boxes sucks.

- Toynami makes a good box, but their toys sucks.

Simple.

So, why don't we just shake hands because this smells like a 50/50 deal.

:)

BTW, anybody interested in a MPC (Roy)? I'm selling mine for $25 (and let me know if you want the toy, too.)

Edited by fifbeat

If you meen me then Im right here, and how can you prove me wrong with your opinion. Opinions meen nothing to me unless I ask and if its a ignorant person getting upset over a toy then your opinion is a joke to me.

Everyone has opinions. You are entitled to yours. It just happens that yours is in the overwhelming minority.

I like both MPC and Yamato. I hardly ever heer anybody say that that the Yamatos are just as unstable.

Don't make me take out my digicam just to take a picture of the one MPC I have next to my Yammie 1/60. Despite extensive fidgetting, I can't get the damn thing to not sag at the center or the legs to stay aligned. Yammies do not have that problem.

Who wants to take their toys apart to transform it? Who wants to squeez a little piece of plastic in the nosecone in fighter mode?

Those of us who wants an accurate and highly poseable toy of a jet that can transform. Who wants a toy that is ugly with an inaccurate sculpt (not an opinion) and chrome swingbars having extremely limited poseability?

The wheels dont lock and the missiles barley stay on with those little ass pegs.

Never had those problem. Owner of the 1/60's since they first came out.

We all know that MPC has its problems but if you want to bash a toy for its flaws(Masterpiece) then make sure what you praise (Yamato) is flawless.

I guess you weren't around for when the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru came out. Hell, if you thought the Q-Rau took a flaming, you should see the charring the first 1/60 took.

vinnie

I'm not impressed with the Masterpiece or the Yamato 1/60.

The Yamato has crappy paint, annoying stickers, too many parts to replace/remove during transformation, too many ugly gaps in the legs where the different pieces come together, and the legs always fall off in guardian mode. Plus the plastic just feels weak and crappy.

The Masterpiece...well, for that much money i'll get a new 1/55 with fast packs. But the rereleased Bandais don't fit together as well as they used to. I think it's a combo of weak springs, weak plastic, and that ungodly gap behind the air break.

So for me it's Joke Machines. Mwa ha ha!

Or the 1/48s if I get rich.

(Yeah, I know this is my 4th post and nobody knows who I am. So sue me. :p )

I'm not impressed with the Masterpiece or the Yamato 1/60.

The Yamato has crappy paint, annoying stickers, too many parts to replace/remove during transformation, too many ugly gaps in the legs where the different pieces come together, and the legs always fall off in guardian mode. Plus the plastic just feels weak and crappy.

The Masterpiece...well, for that much money i'll get a new 1/55 with fast packs. But the rereleased Bandais don't fit together as well as they used to. I think it's a combo of weak springs, weak plastic, and that ungodly gap behind the air break.

So for me it's Joke Machines. Mwa ha ha!

Or the 1/48s if I get rich.

(Yeah, I know this is my 4th post and nobody knows who I am. So sue me. :p )

I have alot of both types of toys and the ones I love best are my circa 1982+ Takatokus and Bandais. I also enjoy my 1/48s. The 1/60s are good for displaying and the MPCs are good for leaving in the bookshelf (displayed in box). I have them all and collect them all. I don't discriminate against any of them particularly, I just know that I love Valkyries!

Can't we all just get along? ;)

Hmmm, considering joscasle already said he'll get a 1/60 yammie, can't we just let this MPC versus yammie thing die?

At this point, both toys have been out so long, if you haven't changed your mind on which toy you like better, most likely you won't.

Where is he? I'd like to hear what he has to say.

We all know that MPC has its problems but if you want to bash a toy for its flaws(Masterpiece) then make sure what you praise (Yamato) is flawless.

I'd say, "don't take this personally," but you're going to anyway, so why bother? "Make sure what you praise is flawless?" That's some kind of argument, I guess? "Flawless" isn't required, only "better" is required to say that one product is better than another. I'm not an 1/60 Yamato enthusiast, but the MPC is a trully a master piece of crap. I'll say this again: JUST LOOK AT IT! Please post a pic, so everybody can see (in case someone hasn't seen one). Oh, and let's not forget the price tag! Oh yeah, again, please post up a pic of the MPC. Please get the lighting and pose as perfect as you can. If possible, have special effects professionals help you out. Have Playboy magazine do one of their famous airbrush jobs on it. The result is going to be the same; you can shine dog crap all day long, and you'll still have dog crap at the end of the day.

Go here...

Read the positives/negatives about each toy...

Buy whatever you like.

So, essentially, you're saying that everyone's opinion should be ignored except LebHead's. :)

Sounds good to me. . . :p

Though here's mine:

Toynami: Had one. It was just pure crap. Sorry, but it was. Flimsy. Inaccurate and ugly sculpt. All of the drawbacks of the Banai ("chunky monkey") sculpt (swing bars) but with none of the durability. I unloaded my only one on Ebay for a handsome profit (it was Rick Hunter 1J) a year after I bought it.

Bandai (Takatoku) 1/55: I grew up with these. But the sculpt and design really show their age. They're really only good for nostalgia or unless you're going to be really rough with the toy you decide to buy. I had a good collection of the original Takatokus (even GBP-1S Armor and VF-1S Strike) and then completed a Bandai re-release collection. But, after getting a few Yamato 1/48s, I sold them all. Even nostalgia wasn't enough to overcome the Yamato dominance.

Which brings us to Yamato:

Yamato 1/60: To me, you'd really only want to get these if you don't have the cash for the 1/48 line. The other things going for it are that there is now an enemy mecha (the Q-Rau, er. . . "female power armor") available in the 1/60 line and more may be coming. Also, there are some valkyries available in 1/60 that will probably never be available in 1/48 scale (VF-1D, VT-1 Super Ostrich, etc.).

Yamato 1/48: This is the ultimate Valk. It's the biggest, most detailed, most accurately sculpted*, and just plain "WOW! THAT'S PERFECT"-looking valkyrie toy ever made. You can't go wrong, if you've got the money. A 1/48 valk with the optional FAST Pack armor all decaled up. . . nothing beats it.

So, that's my opinion. Can it stay? :p

Best Regards,

Hurin

* Some would argue that the 1/60 is the more accurate sculpt. But, to me, it just doesn't look quite right. I think the 1/60 may be more accurate in the arms. . . but that's about it. And I just never liked the way the heat shield looked on the 1/60s. And, while the nose is reportedly very accurately sculpted on the 1/60, again, it just doesn't look right to me.

Yamato.

It costs more, it's smaller, but it's way better.

Since when do Yamato 1/60s cost more than an MPC? MPCs start at 80 bucks, while you can get a Yamato 1/60 with FAST packs for less than that. I'm pretty certain I saw either a VF-1S Strike, or a VF-1J Super for about 60-70 bucks. I've seen Yamatos without FAST packs for as low as 30 bucks.

joscasle, try and read between the lines, or just visit the site Blaine pointed out. Both toys have thier flaws and merits. I personally would prefere the Yamato 1/60 line. They really do look a lot better, and they're not quite as unstable as some people make them out to be.

If, on the other hand, you prefere a toy that's more fun to simply play with rather than display and transform every now and again, I might suggest the Bandai reissues.

I would say that the MPC is a good inbetween those two extremes, however they're just priced far to high to be worth it. Again, my opinion.

Disagree with my statement all you like. The fact is that I referred the guy to a fair and unbiased review and told him to make his own decision.

I'll let you guys get back to your arguing because somebody mentioned a toy you don't like now.

:rolleyes:

The fact is that I referred the guy to a fair and unbiased review and told him to make his own decision.

Nothing against LebHead. But the fact is that nobody is unbiased. And, when you go out of your way to appear unbiased, you tend to overlook a lot of things that would otherwise be noted as flaws.

Looking at the Toynami overview on that page, it seems like a white-wash to me. It's more of a history lesson than a review. There is no mention of sculpt accuracy or even general appearance. It only vaguely refers to people getting upset about die-cast content and "QC issues."

So, well. . . I think the bias in that review is to seem unbiased. But when you try too hard to seem unbiased, you end up being too nice to all sides. Some things deserve criticizm.

Just my 2 cents.

H

Edited by Hurin