Otaku No Video

wolfx

Has anyone seen the anime Otaku No Video? Its a tongue in cheek anime about otakudom and its sad truths. Negative social stigmas for one, crazy buying of anime merchandise and doing otaku-ish things like customising Macross toys. :lol:

It has quite alot of Macross references like the Super VF-1S in one of the main character's mecha collections, traded some cels for the "yet to be released" DYRL? movie design sketches and then the discussion that follows suit were absolutely hilarious because its just like how the members here in MW talk.

"Wow! They are all going to be super valkyries this time round! And it seems there will be a new beam weapon called Strike Cannon.....doesn't Min May now look cool? Anno's Elintseeker is awesome (who is anno btw? can't be hideaki anno can it?)" etc.

There was no shame in revealing the proud joy of being an otaku, despite what everyone thinks. :lol:

I have seen it; great fun if a bit dated now and probably best seen when you've been into anime for a while but not so long that you can't laugh at yourself anymore... :p

My favourite was the foreign guy who really likes Lum. Boy, did they nail me to the wall with that one... :rolleyes:

Can't forget the Macross reference at the to be Otaku land huge centre attarction. Which sorta turned out to look more like gunbuster though.

I think the bast part of the movie was the part when they are waiting to see som anime movie and some older people come up and say something like

"Waiting in line for a cartoon!?!?" then the other guy responds "Anime aren't cartoons its an art form"

Man I have heard so many people say its "art" but I just tell them dude its drawn therefore a cartoon.

This movie has the anime fandom down. Such a great movie. Did Animeigo ever release a DVD of it?

Has anyone seen the anime Otaku No Video? Its a tongue in cheek anime about otakudom and its sad truths. Negative social stigmas for one, crazy buying of anime merchandise and doing otaku-ish things like customising Macross toys. :lol:

It has quite alot of Macross references like the Super VF-1S in one of the main character's mecha collections, traded some cels for the "yet to be released" DYRL? movie design sketches and then the discussion that follows suit were absolutely hilarious because its just like how the members here in MW talk.

"Wow! They are all going to be super valkyries this time round! And it seems there will be a new beam weapon called Strike Cannon.....doesn't Min May now look cool? Anno's Elintseeker is awesome (who is anno btw? can't be hideaki anno can it?)" etc.

There was no shame in revealing the proud joy of being an otaku, despite what everyone thinks. :lol:

i haven't seen the video, so i have to ask if it is narrated in japanese. i'm curious, because i study japanese and if you are saying "anno elintseeker" you shoud be aware that anno is the equivalent of saying "that" in english. so instead of thinking of a person's name, the person could just be saying "that elintseeker."

My favourite was the foreign guy who really likes Lum. Boy, did they nail me to the wall with that one... :rolleyes:

The best part about that one is that if you listen carefully, you can hear what he's saying in English. What he's really saying and what it gets translated as in the Japanese are very different

In Otaku no Video, I believe [Hideaki] Anno (of Gainax/Evangelion fame) is credited with designing the VE-1 as a joke (?)

Kazutaka Miyatake was actually the real designer of the VE-1 ("Elintseeker") accordning to Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works.

It's one of my favorite "tribute" animes, the amount of (in) jokes GAINAX stuffed into Otaku No Video is almost endless. I also remember the main character having a DYRL poster (along with a VF-1 model....I think) hanging from his wall (just before his breakup with da girlfriend). ;)

Did they ever release that on DVD? :ph34r:

A bunch of AnimEigo's early DVDs were kind of glitchy, they are basically 3 guys, a girl, and a monkey, in a garage, after all. They have gotten much better at DVDs, though, and have apparently been planning to rerelease a lot of their earlier stuff at much higher quality.

The only thing wrong with the DVD is a lack of timestamp on anything, the content itself is fine.

The subtitles were bad. The timing was off, lines were missed, and one of the graphs didn't get subtitled at all. All things that could easily have been fixed had they bothered to edit it. Animeigo used to be known for the care and quality they put into their releases. Sadly, this is no longer the case (just ask KOR fans).

Ack, no way. Otaku no Video was just great.... it was a trip.

Another good anime that is a parody many SF anime, including Macross is Project A-Ko. The first one was awesome and downhill after that unfortunately. I watched the LD to this one again recently after so long. Very cool. The fighters and other mecha designs were really nice. Love those Pepsi Can missiles lol ^.^

Edited by Nanashi

Yes, it's available on DVD from Animeigo. And with updated liner notes!

When was the latest DVD of Otaku No Video released? Is this the version that I should pick up? I don't wanna buy and then see a NEWER version end up being released (with more extras). :ph34r::blink:

Animeigo's version?

Macross's insane animation director who would often steal the cels he was working on and perfect them in his private love nest until he was satisfied. Usually three days later he would return with the cels and then the production staff would have to shoot the footage mere hours before it had to be aired.

The only  thing wrong with the DVD is a lack of timestamp on anything, the content itself is fine.

The subtitles were bad. The timing was off, lines were missed, and one of the graphs didn't get subtitled at all. All things that could easily have been fixed had they bothered to edit it. Animeigo used to be known for the care and quality they put into their releases. Sadly, this is no longer the case (just ask KOR fans).

Wasn't KOR among some of their first DVDs released as well? I know I'm really happy with their SDF Macross release. I'm looking forward to nabbing a copy of 'Arcadia of My Youth' as well.

• 3 months later...
In Otaku no Video, I believe [Hideaki] Anno (of Gainax/Evangelion fame) is credited with designing the VE-1 as a joke (?)

Kazutaka Miyatake was actually the real designer of the VE-1 ("Elintseeker") accordning to Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works.

That entry is inaccurate. The VE-1 "Elintseeker" Battroid was drawn by Shoji Kawamori, based on a concept by Hideaki Anno. Hideaki Anno was a key animator in the Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and Shoji Kawamori drew the earlier VEFR-1 "Funny Chinese" design.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

I was bitterly dissappointed with this title. Not eally all that funny.

There are only two reasons why it wouldn't be funny -

1)The viewer cannot relate, because they aren't familiar with the "world of otaku" enough to appreciate the inside humor.

2)The viewer IS an otaku, or uncomfortably close to one, so the defensive mechanism kicks in to either belittle the parody or just find it unfunny.

Personally I find it funny except for the bits that I go "hey....um, that's me."

I was bitterly dissappointed with this title.  Not eally all that funny.

There are only two reasons why it wouldn't be funny -

1)The viewer cannot relate, because they aren't familiar with the "world of otaku" enough to appreciate the inside humor.

2)The viewer IS an otaku, or uncomfortably close to one, so the defensive mechanism kicks in to either belittle the parody or just find it unfunny.

Personally I find it funny except for the bits that I go "hey....um, that's me."

Odd. I found the "Hey, that's me" bits to be the best parts.

Guest Khyron_Prime
Odd.  I found the "Hey, that's me" bits to be the best parts.

Heh heh, yeah. :) But the best part is the ending themes. I'm not sure how the subtitles really stack-up to the spoken word, but they're like frickin' love ballads to how awesome it is to be an otaku...

If I recall correctly...

Girl: "You just look so handsome in your Char [Aznable] costume..."

;)