Go bots

Ali Sama

Whoa... K, I've had that space shuttle for years... never cared what his name is... but wow. Spay-C??? :blink: It's still in pretty good condition actually... I always wanted the F-15 too, but they stopped making them before I knew what money was. :p

I never watched any of those shows, except for MASK, though... Three things got me hooked on that, mainly, Switchblade the helicopter/jet (coolest thing I'd seen at the time), Thunderhawk (the flying car that made me believe at age 5 that ALL cars with gull-wing doors could fly), and that R2-D2 knockoff T-Bob. I actually have some rather fond memories of that show.. must've led me to build an incredible amount of transforming vehicles with Legos. :D

vehicle modes

That red guy on the right is named "Fitor," I think. I used to have one too, way back in the day...

Yeah. A bit of a crappy design, but now that I think about it, I used to play with him all the time. One of my favorites. Possibly MY FAVOURITE!! Wow, goes to show what else I may have forgotten.

Might even go get myself one again... Nah, that'll be going too far... Right..?

Just buy a OL junk lot of old 80's toys for 2$, there always bound to be Gobots mixed in.

Despite my nick I actually think the cartoon sucked, but, I have this odd obsession when it comes to the toys, I kept getting them when buying lots of old 80's toys, they were always mixed in, and after a while without even realizing it I had developed a small army of the guys. I started to apreciate that the machine robo toys, while not the pinacle of transforming toy design, were still a whole hell of alot of fun.

I dont know if anyone will remember this, but Im sure there was a GoBots movie, where they were transported to another planet/dimension and met up with a bunch of guys called the Rock Lords? Robots/Creatures that transformed into rocks....

Its true...theres no way I dreamt that one up...

MASK was insanely cool, Visionaries to...what about Centurions? Always wanted a Centurion figure but never got one :(

Umm...Inhumanoids? was that a show.

Another show I remember was a bunch of guys with cars with massive chainsaws on them, fighting against cars that had giant demolishing balls on them, but were made out of plant life....

Im only 21 and I remember all this stuff. God help the older people! :lol:

Another show I remember was a bunch of guys with cars with massive chainsaws on them, fighting against cars that had giant demolishing balls on them, but were made out of plant life....

Im only 21 and I remember all this stuff. God help the older people! :lol:

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Im only 21 and I remember all this stuff.  God help the older people!  :lol:

I used to really like that show but now I don't remember anything about it except that the robot's voice changed halfway through the series.

The only thing I remember about Gobots was that stupid kid and the retarded red scooter.

:lol:  :lol:

YIKES!! Great memory! Couldn't wait to check out each episode to see new vehicles.

good site

Thanks for the link, now I know which ones I used to have as a kid.

Condor

Switchblade

Raven

Hurricane

Firefly

Stinger

Vampire

Iguana

Like the old transformers I of course ran those into the ground as all kids do. I loved those when I was a kid.

Wasn't Inhumanoids the one with the 3 or 4 giant subterranean monsters, and the human crew that fought them. There was some Magmar-ish lava guy down below that once held the chief bad guy prisoner.

When I was in high scool I smuggled a pocket size TV to school with me every day so I could watch Dinosaucers in homeroom. :lol:

omg I completely forgot that show. I now even rememebr the theme music. damn lol.

llink

Did I forget to mention that I did alot of drugs in high school? ;):p

I remember the Gobots/Rocklords movie.... I actually had some of those after the movie came out.....

... who woulda thought kids would buy toys that turn from robots..... INTO ROCKS!?!?!?

Heh, surprisingly enough when I showed up at my elementary school with the one that turns into a gold nugget I was big man on campus for the next few days. B))

And remember, we're kids of people who thought the Pet Rock was the greatist creation ever made. :lol:

Edited by McKlown

Just buy a OL junk lot of old 80's toys for 2$, there always bound to be Gobots mixed in.

Three years ago I went to a block sale. A nice Japanese woman wanted to get rid of her sons' old toys and were in a big box I found a Big Scale DyJupitar, Changeman Shuttlebase a C-5 boxed Popy/Bandai DX Dynaman "Dyna-in-box" (not the Godaikin) with a worn Dyna-ken (Sword), original instructions, missles, Dynarobo action card but no shield and no display inlay plus a Matchbox RT Sparta/Hovertank for, I kid you not, 10bucks! I still have them but I thought of selling the on eBay since my place is runnin' out of room. Pics soon!

What about Dino-Riders. That Toonarific website is great.

"Harness The Power, Dynoriders!"

The toon sucked balls :p

The toys were tight though B))

I also thought these were great IMHO one form or the other: B))

Starcom

Air-Raiders

COPS

Centurions (Now Showing on CN's Boomerang on Sunday's)

Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors

Inhumanoids

Blackstarr

Bravestarr

Advance D n'D

Legions of Power

Robotix

I bought some of the earliest Machine Robo toys released by Popy when I was little. Each toy would come with a transformation bookleft (more like a long sheet that's folded into a mini-booklet) that also includes a comic strip featuring the toy you just bought, along with a designer credit listing the name and age of the mecha's designer. Many of them were as young as 6.

Ahh...I think I remember hearing about that now ;)

I was about 14 when the Transformers first appeared here in the states...they were okay...Gobots were simple but harkened back to the earlyer Shogun Warriors in basic design, which was pretty cool...

But the toys I purchased a lot of back then were Convertors...which were the cheapy little candy machine toys from Orguss, Macross, Dorvack, Beetra, Galvion and other anime designs...often recolored and repackaged for US consumption...not great toys by any means...but I was a poor kid who knew from which the designs came, which made them even more desireable :D

As this thread has gotten diverted from the subject at hand...got a question...

Back around 1986, IIRC there was a short lived cartoon titled something along the lines of "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs"...course this was an anime "Bismark" which featured western-ish styled powersuits (like those of Bubble Gum Chrisis), robotic horses, and a big shuttle like ship that transformed into a cowboy-ish robot (basicly the body of the shuttle folded into some sort of cape)...I don't think any toys of this appeared here in the states, and the show wasn't on long...but it was kinda cool (I liked it more then Mask at the time)...just wondering if anyone remembers it?

Edited by MSW

Im only 21 and I remember all this stuff.  God help the older people!  :lol:

Funny, I was thinking about Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors this morning (cool songs in there, by the way).

OK, I'm a weird guy. Let's start from there. Sometimes I get some mental images when I'm walking down the street.

Anyway, I was thinking about how Jay Leno has white/grey hair, but he's got that black bit of hair in the middle of his head... And, like, how Jayce always had brown hair but white hair down the middle of his head....

And I think... JAYCE LENO...??

Anyway, in other news... Yeah, JEM, right. What a load of old balls. I remember it being on before Transformers so it would just be the crap I'd have to sit through before the real show began, kinda like the supporting band (aptly). Oh, and the "baddies" (rival girl band) were called... wait for it... the MISTFITS.

Aaargh.

The only obscure shows I can remember liking a lot were Galaxy Rangers, and Bravestar I think. I remember most of the shows that have been mentioned in this thread. Trippy. I remember having a conversation about old cartoons with some dudes that were like 5 years older than me (I'm 29), and they listed a ton of really weird shows that must have only lasted for a year or two in the late 70's early 80's that I'd never heard of.

Speaking of Go Bots, you can see my carded Go Bots in this pic. I had quite a few back in the day. You could get like 4 for the price of one Transformer. What a bargain. Guess I was the poor kid :)

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toys/toys1/14.jpg

The Starcom toys were really cool, with the Magnets in the boots of the guys so they stuck to their ships even upside down!!!! The wonders of being young lol.

Id completely forgotten about DinoRiders, the toys for that were cool!

Bravestar as well, with his texan horse lol!

Cartoons today dont match them.

Cartoons I like today, Dexter, Ren and Stimpy...Family Guy (Does that count lol).

I'm only 19 and I remember half of the shows mentioned XD

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors in shown at 10:30pm everyday on Fox Kids UK. I've watched it a few times and now notice, like with most of the old toons I used to watch, just how corny it is. They also show Ulysses 31 as well.

I just wish Centurions was on British tv too so I can hear that awesome phrase:

POWER EXTREME!! B))

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

I'm only 19 and I remember half of the shows mentioned XD

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors in shown at 10:30pm everyday on Fox Kids UK. I've watched it a few times and now notice, like with most of the old toons I used to watch, just how corny it is. They also show Ullesyes 31 (I think thats the same) as well.

I just wish Centurions was on British tv too so I can hear that awesome phrase:

POWER EXTREME!! B))

I remember Ulysses31 vaguely, unfortunately I remember more of the Popples toon shown before 31. What was Ulysees 31 about anyway?

I LIKE a lot of the Gobot toys. Ive got Puzzler and a bunch of Renegade Gobots piloting the Grungy Powersuit combiner right out in proud display next to my Transformers and Gundam MSIAs..

Its amazing how well made and complicated the Gobot toys were compared to the Transformers of the same timeframe. Puzzler outdoes all the G1 combiner teams except for Predaking in sheer quality and poseability. All their seperate robot modes blow ass, but so does Bruticus and he gets rereleased constantly..

I never saw Ulysses 31, never aired in my area :p... but I remember hearing about it through the snail mail anime clubs of the time :D

My little sister (now 25) used to love Jem...that and She-Ra :rolleyes:

Oh, and the "baddies" (rival girl band) were called... wait for it... the MISTFITS.

:blink::(:angry: Now, that is just evil! (Dead Milkmen's "Punk Rock Girl" is playing on my stereo right now)

Bravestarr kicked ass pretty hard (I always wanted to see the movie, but I never was able to)

What you may NOT know is that Bravestarr is what filmation ORIGINALLY wanted He-Man to be. Evidently they thought the concept wouldn't fly at the time and it got shelved until a few years later.

Thirty-Thirty (the horse/humanoid) had that sweet-ass shotgun called "Sarah-Jane" that could shoot through just about anything... I remember that bionic-demon bull named "Stampede" scaring the living hell out of me when I was a little kid.

They were short on voice actors for that one, I remember the guy that did Marshall Bravestarr's voice also doing a couple of other characters... (he also did "thunderstick" and I think one other). They had one female voice actor for all the female parts (not just the Judge), but it was surprisingly well done. I always loved the bgm... and if I ever find it(the background music), I'll download the hell out of it!

C.O.P.S. also kicked ass... I always wanted that bazooka that Mace carried. Those toys kicked ass, but the figures had some messed up proportions... and the cap-guns that came with them looked all F-ed up. Oh well, the show rocked.

Edited by Skull Leader

Yeah, I was reading a biography of Kawamori (actually written in '84) a couple of years ago, and I was surprised to read that he did indeed work on a few designs for Ulysses 31, though I believe he was uncredited.

Haven't had the chance to see the show in more than a decade, though. Wonder how the hell I can ever get my hands on it now.

Man, I hate to de-rail the thread further, but if we're waxing nostalgic on 80's cartoons, them I must plug my favorite cartoon of all time; Mighty Orbots. The writing was terrible, but the animation holds up even today....

*Pathetic attempt to stay on topic*

The Go-Bot combiner Puzzler was even better than the Transformers Gestalts IMHO, because all the members transformed into the Limbs/Torso of the Puzzler without need of extra parts....

I always thought the Go Bots were pretty neat, becasue they were about the same scale as all those Matchbox and Hotwheels cars I had, without having the chibi like proportions most of the mini Autobots had. I still always thought the Transformers were cooler, though.

Now, what's up with Megatron having a minicon named Leader One? :blink:

I remember Ulysses31 vaguely, unfortunately I remember more of the Popples toon shown before 31. What was Ulysees 31 about anyway?

Best I can recollect, it was a spaceborne retelling of Homer's Odyssey. Pretty cool show back in the day.

Man, I hate to de-rail the thread further, but if we're waxing nostalgic on 80's cartoons, them I must plug my favorite cartoon of all time; Mighty Orbots. The writing was terrible, but the animation holds up even today....

Loved that show too :D ... Got a DVD off ebay containing several of the episodes (this is a home made DVD, quality is pretty decent, but it's obvious they burned it from VHS tapes)...the animation, especialy in the pilot episode is at least OVA quality :blink: not bad at all for a cartoon from 1984 :)

One of my comic book ideas is sorta a reimagined retelling of Rob and the orbots ;)

Back around 1986, IIRC there was a short lived cartoon titled something along the lines of "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs"...course this was an anime "Bismark" which featured western-ish styled powersuits (like those of Bubble Gum Chrisis), robotic horses, and a big shuttle like ship that transformed into a cowboy-ish robot (basicly the body of the shuttle folded into some sort of cape)...I don't think any toys of this appeared here in the states, and the show wasn't on long...but it was kinda cool (I liked it more then Mask at the time)...just wondering if anyone remembers it?

Yes....and chick in the show is pretty cute....

She is one of my childhood ...er...fantasy... :p:p

april8l.jpg