DYRL

samuraid

Wow, between Exedore's head and those awful english accents...

Yeesh- the whole thing played like an ESL training tape...

Don't get me wrong, I liked it overall- those things just bugged me.

But not to fear, whenever I get depressed about it, I just look in the mirror and repeat Exodore's words:

Mic...

ro...

hu...

mon?

Mic.....................ro.....................hu.......................................mon.

Edited by samuraid

Track down the FX boot DVD known as the DYRL Perfect Edition, that should cure that speach impediment caused by the Clash of the Bionoids edit. :lol:

Yeah, then you end up with engrish:

"Plo-Toel-Cullah-Chaa?!?"

and

"Tranza-Foramah-shun!!!"

Seriously, the original Japanese with subs truly makes the moment.

As with most dubs (even today) the voice actors simply cannot, or do not, capture the emotion of the scenes.

I think there are several good dubs out there (Patlabor I, II and WXII, Spirited Away, What A Girl Wants), but overall the voice acting kind of sucks.

Oh well. I won at Trvial Pursuuit LotR Edition tonight, so I'm happy.

You have to admit that a few people on the bridge and that guy in the elintseeker speak flawless english though! :lol:

Same with the guys who opperate the launch arms insice ARMD-01, as well as whoever it is that announces a transformation.

LOL, and then Arihiro Hase says "Thank you!" in english and it sounds like he sneezed :p

The girl that announced the red alert (with all the pilots rushing out of the barracks, one with a sandwich in his mouth) obviously spoke english as a second language, but others sounded pretty natural. It really lended an international air to Macross I think.

Edited by Skull Leader

LOL, and then Arihiro Hase says "Thank you!" in english and it sounds like he sneezed :p

The girl that announced the red alert (with all the pilots rushing out of the barracks, one with a sandwich in his mouth) obviously spoke english as a second language, but others sounded pretty natural. It really lended an international air to Macross I think.

Doesn't Claudia announce the transformations? It would make sense that Japanese is not her first language.

Do also notice that they re-casted two of the Zentran spies (can't remember which ones, Konda and Rori maybe) in the original Japanese DYRL. In the series they are all played by Japanese actors, but in DYRL two of them are played by foreign white guys, who don't speak Japanese very well. This was to add a bit more of a "strangeness" or "foreign" effect in the peace treaty scene before the climax of the film when they talk about how wonderful protoculture is at the panel.

I thought that was kind of a cool and effective touch that many people probably didn't know about. You really have to keep your ear out for it if you don't speak Japanese, though.

Edited by Renato

Doesn't Claudia announce the transformations? It would make sense that Japanese is not her first language.

She does in TV Macross, but I am not sure in DYRL. I think so though.

Do also notice that they re-casted two of the Zentran spies (can't remember which ones, Konda and Rori maybe) in the original Japanese DYRL. In the series they are all played by Japanese actors, but in DYRL two of them are played by foreign white guys, who don't speak Japanese very well. This was to add a bit more of a "strangeness" or "foreign" effect in the peace treaty scene before the climax of the film when they talk about how wonderful protoculture is at the panel.

Really? Cool, that's my new bit of Completely Random Anime Trivia for the week.

I was reading about that Final Fantasy Concert in the Other Anime Section and I keep thinking on how it would be cool to see DYRL with a live Orchestra and Electric band on the side.

If I won the Supah-Lotto maybe I'll have a private screening. ^_^

I was reading about that Final Fantasy Concert in the Other Anime Section and I keep thinking on how it would be cool to see DYRL with a live Orchestra and Electric band on the side.

If I won the Supah-Lotto maybe I'll have a private screening. ^_^

While we're at it, make a live action movie of DYRL! Big cash for the CGI to create stunning realistic Valks and other crafts and a talented cast like they did for LOTR; Well-known actors, but with a clean record (no pre-Pirates of the Caribbean Bruckheimer/Wing Commander casts and the like).

The songs should be in Japanese, but an option in the DVD release to not only choose the spoken language and subs, but also add which language the songs must be, would be great.

Edited by Wabbit

I thought that was kind of a cool and effective touch that many people probably didn't know about. You really have to keep your ear out for it if you don't speak Japanese, though.

One of them (don't remember which one, wanna say it's Konda, though) was played by Kent Gilbert, who's actually a minor celebrity in Japan, known for playing a lot of generic American roles in Godzilla movies and the like.

As for the English in Macross, like I've said before, I really think that it's that English was the official language of the Macross universe, but that they speak in Japanese for the benefit of the audience.

What they should have just done is raise a couple of guys from birth to speak Zentran, and then teach them enough Japanese for the part.

Would have been much more realistic...

But that would be cruel and manipulative -- when do we start? :p

I for one would never want to see a Live Action of Macross! UGH! Especially if it were produced in Japan (low budget). Come to think of it, if it were produced in America, it would be even worse! Mainly due to the bastardization they would do.

But if they were to reanimate the original TV series, I would be all over it like ugly on a gorilla!

:)

Randy