Official VB-6 Koenig Monster Order Thread

ChristopherB

Ken has brought bits and pieces of the model to our monthly modeling club meeting. He has gotten a fair way along in the process. I've seen a couple complex pieces he's casted last month, so the molds appear to be working. He also seemed pretty optimistic about all the hardware to make it articulate/transform. Other than that, I can't comment.

• 4 weeks later...
any news ?

Yep. It's done :)

The first kit (Carl's) will be shipping on tuesday, in fact.

But I'm not ready to take final orders quite yet. I'm still casting up kits (a fairly slow process, considering the size of the kit) and building up a kit for myself, writing the kit's instructions as I go along. (Also not a not a quick process...)

I'll have more updates later this week.

Yep.  It's done :)

The first kit (Carl's) will be shipping on tuesday, in fact.

But I'm not ready to take final orders quite yet.  I'm still casting up kits (a fairly slow process, considering the size of the kit) and building up a kit for myself, writing the kit's instructions as I go along.  (Also not a not a quick process...)

I'll have more updates later this week.

GREAAAAAAAAAAAT :D

can't wait :)

edit : and what about the box ? :D

Edited by isamu_dyson

• 4 weeks later...
did anyone get theirs yet? i would love to see some pictures of it.

chris

308027[/snapback]

I just got mine today. It looks great!!! Fantastic job Ken. Here is mine along side the IHP and the Liquid Stone original. One of which also came in the mail today. ;) The other I got off Yahoo Japan some time ago.

My set is now complete. *said in an evil voice while rubbing hands together greedily*

Enjoy,

Carl

post-317-1121542922_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

>>Waits eagerly.

So are we going to be PM'd when the rest are ready?

311369[/snapback]

Ken will probably post something here when he's ready. Mine is missing screws and instructions, but Ken has said I'll get those when he gets the final kits finished. He also stated this to me in one email...

"I slapped on some box art too, but they're undersized, as I currently don't have the means of printing on 11x17" sheets like I want to..."

so he might be working on that too. I think he's also toying with the idea of casting with colored resin. Mine is white and he though that would show chipped paint too much.

In short I think he's got a little ways to go yet but I know he's working on this project when he can so lets try not to rush him.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

• 4 weeks later...
wwwmwww any pics of yours ?

319987[/snapback]

Sorry, just made it back to this thread. It's easy for me to over look the pinned ones. Odd as pinning a thread is supposed to help that thread. Personally I think sometimes it hurts a thread.

Anyways you mean pics aside from the one I posted above? Let me know what you want and I should be able to post more pics this weekend.

Carl

The past 3 weeks have been pretty hellish at work, so I haven't managed to get much. But things are returning to normal now (even got a whole weekend off!) so I'm gonna try and get caught up this coming week.

Quick update:

Got a test model assembled, and everything went pretty much as expected. No unpleasant surprises. Good thing.

I never got any good pics taken of it tho, and I've since disassembled parts of it in the process of writing the instructions. I'll try and get it back together and get some pics up soon.

As a bit of an afterthought, I contemplated casting the kit in green resin, like the IHP kit, so that if the paint on a finished kit chips, it won't be as noticable. But I've decided to go with gray resin instead, because 1) I couldn't get a green tint that I liked to come out consistantly, 2) I figure gray could simulate bare metal underneath chipped paint, and 3) I don't want it resembling an original IHP kit too closely anyway.

The only down side I can see to using gray resin, is that it could make it a little hard to see when a piece is adequately coated in primer, if you're using gray primer. If you foresee this to be too much of a problem, I'll also accept orders for VB-6s cast in my normal, off-white colored resin.

Aside from that, the only real news is that I'm still trying to cast these things up. I've probably got somewhere between 2 and 3 kits completely cast right now, but I haven't gotten so far as to divide them into kits. It's been pretty slow going, but I should be able to get it done a lot faster, now that I'm back to my normal schedule at work.

I've still gotta finish the instructions too. They'll most likely consist of translated japanese instructions (which aren't too detailed), and a PDF (or something similar) of my own general assembly tips, and annotations to the japanese instructions.

yep that's it :)

321759[/snapback]

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I was side tracked a bit this weekend due to Wonderfest releated stuff. And yesterday when I went to go take pictures my camera battery was dead. It's charged now so here goes...

Enjoy,

Carl

post-317-1124829478_thumb.jpg

post-317-1124829501_thumb.jpg

post-317-1124829791_thumb.jpg

post-317-1124829812_thumb.jpg

post-317-1124829886_thumb.jpg

post-317-1124829907_thumb.jpg

So what was the final verdict on the barrels for the main cannons?

I didn't see any in the pictures above.

:unsure:

Just curious. I thought the barrels with the "bullet" barrel detail plug was

some smooth work. I hope that nice engineering touch is in the final

produced version of the kit.

:D

Thanks for posting the pics wwwMwww.

B))

Oh crap, did I forget to include the barrells in Carl's kit?! :ph34r:

I'll have to fix that...

Anyway, yea, the barrels have been finalized. The master was produced using that 'bullet' looking thing that I think I posted pics of earlier. And after a few minor mishaps, I've been able to get consistantly straight casts (warping was a problem for a while there). The final casts still require a bit of machining, so it's been a lot of work, but I'm quite pleased with the results.

Still working on those finished pics... it was a busier weekend than I had expected ^^;;

Oh crap, did I forget to include the barrells in Carl's kit?!  :ph34r:

I'll have to fix that...

323132[/snapback]

WOW!!! I guess you did. Good catch there Dr. Paragon.

No rush Ken. Just send them when you send the directions, screews, etc. that you are still working on pulling together.

Will there be a parts list with the directions? Looks like I need one.

Where is a cross eyed smilie when you need one?

Carl

Oh crap, did I forget to include the barrells in Carl's kit?!   :ph34r:

I'll have to fix that...

323132[/snapback]

WOW!!! I guess you did. Good catch there Dr. Paragon.

No rush Ken. Just send them when you send the directions, screews, etc. that you are still working on pulling together.

Will there be a parts list with the directions? Looks like I need one.

Where is a cross eyed smilie when you need one?

Carl

323142[/snapback]

Glad I coud be of service.

;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I've gotta confess, I've been pretty burnt out on the Monster. I've been taking a break from it.

I'll put it in perspective... A few weeks ago, I quit my job, after getting another (much better paying) job lined up. I arranged it so that between the time I left one and started another, I'd have about a week to myself to get stuff done. And I was all "yea, gonna get this Monster thing done at last...". And, well, that didn't happen. I'd start working on it, and I'd end up walking away from it 10 minutes later. I just can't get into it.

So I decided to do some work on another project that's been sitting on the sidelines for a good 6 month now -- the Club-M 1/72 VF-11.

I had done a bit of work on it, but nothing too huge. So I started working on a couple of its molds concurently, and before I knew it, I was pouring mold rubber, and most of the evening had gone by.

Now, making molds is a long, tedious, mind-numbing process. It is for me, anyway. But so is all the work I have left on the Monster (which is, casting parts and writing the manual). But unlike the Monster work, the monotony of the VF-11 never got to me. Realising this, I decided to put the Monster aside for a bit, and focus my efforts on the VF-11 instead.

So, I might as well announce it here. My recast of the Club-M 1/72 VF-11 Thunderbolt.

I had planned for this to be finished after the Monster, and it would be my final recast project. But it looks like that's changing, and the Monster will be the last of them.

Details will be forthcoming, but I'll say now that it'll be a limited run kit (I don't want it to be huge like the VF-4 recast was), and it'll be available in 3 parts - the fighter kit, the FAST Packs, and the booster rockets (so you won't have to buy what you won't need). All optional parts (inner details, radome, etc) are included with the base kit. Except the missiles, cause they're non-canon, and I think they're dumb :p

A dedicated thread will follow shortly. Please, no posting of 'dibs' just yet.

post-50-1131057770_thumb.jpg

Anyone remember that I was one of the people that put a downpayment on this kit?  I can't find my e-mails...  :(

342067[/snapback]

I was also one of the people that put in the $100 for this kit, along time ago in a galaxy far far away ;)