how many tail hooks does VF-1 have?

newca

Bandai HCM has two hooks, which are stowed in the rear landing gear wells.

Better evidence is probably somewhere in Macross Design Works or Macross Perfect Memory.

Oh wait. Why didn't I look in the compendium in the first place?

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati.../vf1/index.html

LANDING GEAR: Retractable tricycle undercarriage. Two steerable nosewheels retract rearward into nose and twin coupled mainwheels inward into fuselage. Two arresting hooks mounted underfuselage on engine nacelles.

That's interesting... I thought they sometimes land on carriers by hovering in Gerwalk mode.

Which begs the question... how to they get the Gerwalks back into plane mode when it's standing? Special rigs?

In Carriers? I assume so. I mean in the TV series, you see the overhead cranes holding them up at least in the Prometheus hangar deck.

Personally I think multiple tail hooks are rather silly. Gawd help you if you snare one and not the other...

Indeed.

Of course, if you have an advanced computer, you can adjust the power output of the opposite engine to compensate.

Or just get into Gerwalk mode and forego the hook(s) altogether.

In atmosphere yeah, they'll land normally I guess. In space they always landed in gerwalk right into the hangar bay. I suppose they could do the same on ground if they wanted to. They seemed to like to go traditional when on Earth.

"Two arresting hooks mounted underfuselage on engine nacelles"

a really bad idea

VF-0 has only one hook, maybe the VF-1's computer is more advance than 0 to assure both hooks catch the (same) cable... :blink: but I don't think 1's low speed performance is better than 0 due to the small wing acreage, what a trustless design! make me remember the Wildcat time in WWII! :(

Edited by newca

I'd like to point out that the Prometheus is also longer than a regular carrier. A VF may be able to land on one without the use of a arrestor hook. As to landing in Gerwalk mode, a careful look at the Hasegawa decal placement diagrams shows three points on the fuselage that shows the mechanics where they can attach an overhead crane.

Just gotta echo everyone else:

2 hooks are a BAD idea.

VF-19: non-arrested landings for normal fighter jets require thousands of feet. Prometheus needs to be *gigantic* to be long enough to have room for a normal roll-out. (Never seen a valk yet with reversers, nor drag chute) Plus, it'd slow down air operations. One of the oft-forgotten benefits of an arrested landing is that it only takes like 2 secs, then the plane's already moving out of the way for the next one to land.

Where and how? Also, the problem of snagging the cable with one and not the other still remains---instant massive yaw, likely destroying the plane. When you snag the cable, it is trying REAL hard not to move, it is pulling the hook with tremendous force as it reels out. (They're adjustable for how hard they'll pull--if you set it for an F-14, and an F-18 landed, the cable wouldn't budge an inch, and the F-18 would probably have its back end ripped out, or be stopped in midair instantly and fall to the deck)

You hook one, that part of the plane stops moving, and the rest will swing around REAL fast. Which is why real planes have the hook mounted perfectly in the center. Sometimes you will see a "split" one with multiple attachment points to the fuselage, but it always ends in one central hook.

The Compendium is official. Anyway, there's a picture on p. 33 of Macross Design Works and on page 152 of Perfect Memory which appears to show one of the hooks and text pointing to it that may say exactly what it is. There's a picture on the same page that shows a Valk coming in for landing. Part of the same text appears--based on puzzling out the kana, it looks like it says "arrest[something]".

Here's the picture from MPM:

Seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to land a VF-1 perfectly level with all of it's fly by wire stuff going on.

And there's really no where to put a single hook, have to go with two.

Well, maybe two could be put in the arms and attatch together at the end somehow, but are the arms strong enough to take that? and would the attachment be strong enough for that?

Seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to land a VF-1 perfectly level with all of it's fly by wire stuff going on.

And there's really no where to put a single hook, have to go with two.

Well, maybe two could be put in the arms and attatch together at the end somehow, but are the arms strong enough to take that? and would the attachment be strong enough for that?

Landing an airplane perfectly level may not be hard, but keeping the aircraft carrier perfectly level is!

I think if Kawamori wanted to redesign the arrestor gear, he could either make the arms a tiny bit skinnier and put the hook between them, or mount the hook near the inner edge of one arm (perhaps even having a sort of offset in the other arm to get the hook dead-center). I'm sure the arms are strong enough since Valks can crash through buildings without a dent.

As things stand, maybe the gear itself detects whether both hooks have caught the cable, and if not, it instantly lets go.

Interesting to see the hooks ar where the rear landing gear is. I know that the Robotech MPCs have the tailhook where one of the landing gear resides.

General opinion is the the MPC's are strongly influenced by the HCM design. But are you saying the MPC's only have a hook in one wheel well? That would be really stupid.

The Compendium is official. Anyway, there's a picture on p. 33 of Macross Design Works and on page 152 of Perfect Memory which appears to show one of the hooks and text pointing to it that may say exactly what it is. There's a picture on the same page that shows a Valk coming in for landing. Part of the same text appears--based on puzzling out the kana, it looks like it says "arrest[something]".

Here's the picture from MPM:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but

According to the illustration of the VF-1a in the image Ewilen posted, the "mosquito nose" of the 1/60 yamatos that everyone complained about seems pretty accurate.

This was probably mentioned before, but given I don't own MPM, it just hit me when I saw that pic.

anywayzzz, :D

sorry, I uploaded it from my HD, maybe the original source is some Japanese site, they have many 3DCG pics.

two-arms-joint hook sounds acceptable, is there any possibility make the back pack to contain a hook just like the VF-0?