help with older lego stuff, and stuff

It seems like every other week I need help from you guys dealing with what ever crap I got in that weeks mysterious boxes. Now I need help with legos. At least I know these are lego's, unlike most of the stuff I have to ask about after I stare at it trying to figure out what the heck it is.

Anyways... I aquired about 15lbs of legos from a friend in exchange for a klingon blade because I liked lego's as a kid and I'd been holding it for him till he could afford it and after 6 months I got tired of tripping over it. He brought me two desk drawers full and a trash bag full. After sorting through the crap and pulling all the matchbox cats, muscle men, ho trains, and other non-lego crap out I had a big ole pile of legos to sort. I did that for a few days till I got down to the small pieces and then just bought tupper ware and got it out of the way.

my problem is this... I was into lego's back in the early 80's and these are newer than the ones I had. As such... I have no idea what sets these parts go to, etc. I know a lot of it is lego space and life on mars due to wings and rocket bits. I put all the specialty bits in one tupperware container as they seem a good place to start iding crap. I know I have the space monorail as I have the train bit, track, and the base plates. I know I have a large brown boat as I have a keel, I also came across a pneumatic lego pump [there were pneumatic legos?!?!], and other odd bits. While I was content to just let them sit in tupperware for a while, I am expecting three cubic feet of more lego's from some-one else [hopefully from the 80's] and feel this will rapidly get out of hand.

Is there anyway to get replacement instructions for sets [like the monorail?]

is there a way to figure out what sets I have?

just to make this worth replying to whats everybodies favorite lego set? I had two really cool ones as a kid [both early 80's space sets] but I don't remember the proper names.

One was a large space ship with a cargo bay that would open at the rear, a ramp that lowered, and a little run-a-bout that could come out.

the other was a large six-wheeled missle carrier that could position the really big rocket for launch. Kinda reminded me of a futuristic version of one of the russian icbm vehicles. Anybody know what I'm babbeling about?

The one with the ramp is called the Galaxy Explorer. That was my favorite kit back in 1980 or so. I always liked the ramp thingie, I thought that was a pretty cool design.

0497-1.jpg

Edited by Capt Hungry

HEY, I remember Galaxy Explorer!! Man, talk about goin' back!

Loved LEGOs years ago - got away from them - then back in when the Star Wars stuff started coming out! But anyway....

Here's a link to BrickLink.com. Pretty amazing site. If you type in "Galaxy Explorer" and search the catalog, the item pops up and then you can get the ENTIRE inventory of the set - were talking piece-by-piece with PICTURES of each individual piece!!

Try CLASSIC SPACE SETS to see of you find the sets you mentioned above.

May take you some time to figure what you have, but will probably be fun while doing so. Place is also a marketplace where you can order individual pieces, I think.

Hope this helps a little.

Brick Link is great. I buy stuff through it all the time. As for looking things up there, it's pretty good, but you have to learn the nomenclature. The other place you might check out is Lugnet (www.lugnet.com), which is an online LEGO community.