dekaranger.jpg
Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (特捜戦隊デカレンジャー)
TV Asahi/Toei Co. Ltd., 2004
Exploited by Buena Vista Entertainment in 2005 as Power Rangers SPD
Running Time: 25 minutes per episode
Not Rated (Suggested TV-PG). Contains violence and mature situations.

Cast
Ryuji Sainei as Banban Akaza/Deka Red
Tsuyoshi Hayashi as Houji Tomasu/Deka Blue
Yosuke Ito as Senichi "Sen-chan" Enari/Deka Green
Ayumi Kinoshita wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif as Marika "Jasmine" Reimon/Deka Yellow
Mika Kikuchi wub.gif as Koume "Umeko" Kodou/Deka Pink

Tomokazu Yoshida as Tekkan "Tetsu" Aira/Deka Break
Tetsu Inada (Wakkein in Mobile Suit Gundam movies 1-2) as Doggie Kruger/Deka Master (voice)
Mako Ishino wub.gif as Swan Shiratori
Ryusei Nakao (Frieza in Dragon Ball Z) as Agent Abrella (voice)
Toshio Furukawa (Ataru in Urusei Yatsura, Asuma in Mobile Police Patlabor) as the Narrator

"Emergency...DEKARANGER!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MwupHAPpU

Synopsis
Earth's population has increased dramatically over the past few years, partially due to aliens migrating to the planet and getting jobs here. But with every case of population growth, there's always a case of unusual criminal activities. To keep alien-related crimes in check, the Special Police Department (SPD) sets up an Earth branch near Tokyo, Japan. This branch consists of the special task force Dekaranger, who can take on any alien threat with their vast array of sophisticated weapons and mecha. But the Dekarangers get the biggest surprise when loose cannon Banban Akaza is transferred out of his home planet and joins the team as Deka Red.

Lowdown
I've been a casual fan of Super Sentai shows ever since the 1984 classic Choudenshi Bioman. But after Saban started licensing Toei's super sentai titles and turning them into Power Rangers, I started to lose interest in the genre. Then, a couple of days ago, a fansub of this new series came out, and I decided to check it out.

Wow...despite the use of CG, Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger has the elements of Super Sentai shows we all know and love: cheesy special effects, near-laughable acting, awesome fight scenes and catchy theme music. Dekaranger even mixes the genre with the alien immigration subplot inspired by Men in Black.

In the first episode alone, you can easily get to like the characters, from the hot-headed Deka Red to the cute Deka Pink, who spends most of the show taking a bubble bath. The battle scenes are a complete riot, especially when Deka Red makes his Earth debut. I can't wait for the next episode, when they bring out the Dekaranger Robo.

Overall, Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger is a surprisingly excellent Super Sentai show. It sure as hell beats the snoozefest called Chouseishin GranSazer.

Rating: A

Links
Super Sentai's Official Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger Homepage (Japanese)
Toei's Official Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger Homepage (Japanese)

References
Wikipedia

Edited by areaseven

It's unfortunate that most people's opinions of sentai are based on the early Power Ranger shows, when the uncut Japanese shows are so much better. It's like basing your opinion of Macross soley on Robotech, except the Sentai shows got chopped up a helluva lot more. It's even more unfortunate that you can't go out and buy a legit copy of these shows in their uncut form, as there's been more than a couple really great sentai shows out there.

heres a first . the yellow ranger is actually female in previous japanese sentai shows the yellow ranger is often male whilst when it gets sabani-zed the yellow ranger turns female to add more feminine diversity .

Is it just me or does the plot seem a rehash of GoGo 5? AKA Power rangers lightspeed rescue?

Female yellows in sentai are infrequent, but not too rare. Anyway, I can't really say it's a rehash of the GoGo V yet, since only a couple eps have been released, but it's worth noting that while the GoGo V were all brothers and sister in different rescue jobs that fought demons,the Dekarangers aren't related, are all cops, and fight aliens. Plus, they have much better outfits. :D

DekaRed irritates me, but he is one hell of a fighter.

Its interesting to read the difference in stories between the original and the Power Ranger versions. Even though I'm a fan of the PR, have been since it first started airing back in the day, its had its up and lows when its comes to the different series/seasons but I'd really like to check out some of the originals. Think I might started with this one. Speaking of Power Rangers, I have to say the Dino Thunder series is pretty good so far. The way they time in all the different shows is pretty nice, sometimes they are vague about it and others they are direct about it, I don't think they do that in the original series do they? I'm guess each series is in its own world/timeline.

Those interested in comparing the two.

http://www.rangercentral.com/

http://www.supersentai.com/index.html

Edited by Effect

Dekaranger seems to be where the money was spent on this year's shows. Kamen Rider (Masked Rider) Blade doesn't seem as good as 555 or Ryuki. Dekaranger is definitely more action intensive than Blade so it has some points there. But we'll see as both these shows haven't reached the double digits in episode count.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch episode 2 yet? It's freaking hilarious, especially when Ban sees an office chick stuck under a pile of rubble.

Ban: "Are you okay? You're really cute, aren't you?"

(Pulls debris aside)

Ban: "I'm gonna beat that guy for sure. After that, you wanna date me?"

Houji: "Don't be so forward!"

(Picks up office chick)

Houji: "Hey, baby. Because I'm so cool, would you like to go out on a date with me later?"

Office chick: "Uhh..."

Ban: "Hey no fair! I asked her first!"

.....and who gets to date the OL, well...it' ain't those two. :D

Take a wild guess.... :)

Unfortunately, they are still fleshing out the characters (watching the raws... :p ) so I'll get back to you once they start working on the story.

Anyone catch episode 2 yet? It's freaking hilarious, especially when Ban sees an office chick stuck under a pile of rubble.

Ban: "Are you okay? You're really cute, aren't you?"

(Pulls debris aside)

Ban: "I'm gonna beat that guy for sure. After that, you wanna date me?"

Houji: "Don't be so forward!"

(Picks up office chick)

Houji: "Hey, baby. Because I'm so cool, would you like to go out on a date with me later?"

Office chick: "Uhh..."

Ban: "Hey no fair! I asked her first!"

wait until u see eps 3 and 4... :lol:

.....and who gets to date the OL, well...it' ain't those two.  :D

Take a wild guess.... :)

Unfortunately, they are still fleshing out the characters (watching the raws... :p ) so I'll get back to you once they start working on the story.

Raws? Who's got Raws? I've only been watching the TV-Nihon fansubs. :ph34r:

Kamen Rider (Masked Rider) Blade doesn't seem as good as 555 or Ryuki.

Kamen Rider Blade put me to sleep. The first episode has practically zero plot direction and the show has the most boring-ass henshin sequence (instead of the traditional poses, he forms a CG wall and runs through it to become Kamen Rider Blade).

The first episode has practically zero plot direction and the show has the most boring-ass henshin sequence (instead of the traditional poses, he forms a CG wall and runs through it to become Kamen Rider Blade).

That's why I don't use the 1st ep of any series as a base.

Where can I find fansubs of this and other sentai shows?

This is the only spot as of this time: http://www.sunflower.com/~aldalin/tvn/

The other option is HK DVDs.

Good luck.

I know Toei is cutting corners when it comes to production costs, but it gets ridiculous on episode 3:

- The Dekaranger target practice area is the exact same place where Kamen Rider Chalice battles an Undead in episode 2 of Kamen Rider Blade.

- At the ballroom party, Erika is wearing the exact same dress Usagi-chan wore in episode 1 of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was Chalice, not Karris.

Edited by areaseven

I know Toei is cutting corners when it comes to production costs, but it gets ridiculous on episode 3:

- The Dekaranger target practice area is the exact same place where Kamen Rider Karis battles an Undead in episode 2 of Kamen Rider Blade.

- At the ballroom party, Erika is wearing the exact same dress Usagi-chan wore in episode 1 of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

It's called keeping production cost down. They had the area from KR Blade for a day, why not use it? It's kind of a waste to have a location for a day that will only be used for what...a 5 minute scene?

BTW, it's spelled Chalice, not Karris. It's just that when they say it, it sounds like Karris.

BTW, it's spelled Chalice, not Karris. It's just that when they say it, it sounds like Karris.

I was wondering about that. Guess HLJ was wrong with the name.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/blade/004_rider/...ce/chalice.html

I think we can get away with calling him Karis or Chalice. The Katakana has "karisu". The official site uses "Chalice". When you hear the people pronounce his name in the series, you can hear them say "Karis". It's the wonderful world of phonetics....

• 3 weeks later...

Well its all about Quality Area.. I was checking out some Sentai Sites around the Net and they were saying that the differences Between The Sentai and PR Show Toys are that The Japan versions are better quality with Die Cast VS/Plastic for Parts in the US versions.. Also not all Japanese Zords make it to the US

I was at Lil Tokyo Saturday and they had a Elephant Zord from Hurricanger (Power Ranger's Ninja Storm) and it was a Huge Bitch Heavy as Hell but never sold in the US... So it depends on what you want....

Not to mention, Bandai has to conform to US safety standards. That Robo might not have the light functions in the US version.

That sure sucks out the fun of Dekaranger Robo... :(

I said MIGHT. I remember one time Hasbro was unsure to add in the lights and electronics on their RID Prime and Magnus figures. Turns out they added them. Not to mention TF Energon Megatron XL has lights and sounds while Super Link Mini Megatron has none. It all depends if the US Toy safety commitee would allow that.