IHP VB-6 Koenig Monster Re-cast Project

trueblueeyes

What scale is the variable VF-4?

Still trying to stick to one scale only? B)) It is a 1/72 scale variable VF-4G from I.H.P. Beautiful kit...but don't take my word for it:

Fighter

VF-4f.jpg

No I've expanded to 1/48 too :p

So I'm in for this one then if it's 1/72, we'll see.

Wow, that's awesome!

I'm still up for the challenge. As anyone who has one of my VF-4 kits could probably tell you, small parts are no problem for me :)

The part about the rough castings is a bit troubling though. I think it's safe to assume that the owner wouldn't want me doing a ton of clean-up work on his prized kit. And they only way to improve upon the kit's quality would be to make molds of each part, cast a copy, clean up that copy, then mold the cleaned up part. That'd double both my molding costs and the time it'd take to finish the project. But at least it wouldn't have an effect on how quickly the owner's kit is returned.

As for the screws, I would definitely want to include them. I always thought it was kinda rude for IHP to not include them, thus leaving his customers on thier own to find them. Even if he lists a source.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find them (or at least SAE screws that would be compatible) through domestic industrial supply companies like Grainger or McMaster. I wouldn't want to throw you all to the wolves like IHP did :)

The IHP VF-4 would be cool to do in the future too. But I'm pretty sure Carl already has one.

The IHP VF-4 would be cool to do in the future too. But I'm pretty sure Carl already has one.

I do. It would take some digging to find it but I have one. Just a word of warning... I.H.P had done both a 1/100 VF-4 and a 1/72 VF-4. The 1/72 kit is much nicer as the pics above show but the 1/100 kit is much more common relatively speaking. It too is still quite rare. I've got both. I'd just ask you to make SURE which kit he (or she) has. If you look at I.H.P's web page all you see is the 1/72 kit and if you have an I.H.P VF-4 one MIGHT just assume he has that one.

I don't know who this is or what he (or she) does or doesn't have. I'm just pointing out I.H.P has two different variable VF-4 kits out there.

Carl

We are one step closer to completing the project! I have been contacted by someone who owns an original IHP Koening monster kit and is willing to loan it for re-casting.

WOW!!! That was fast.

*Please don't e-mail or PM me asking for the identity of the owner. The owner wishes to remain anonymous and has NO interest in selling the kit for *any*

price.

Boy... you sure make it hard. I've run into this sort of type before. Most Japanese collectors like to be as secretive as possible. However there is one big difference here. Most Japanese collectors I've come across that wish to remain secretive can't even be persuaded to let photos of their items out. Let alone willing to loan the kit out for re-casting. Hmmm... I guess I don't have a clue who this might be. Believe me I wish I did.

Can you relay these questions for me... and the rest of us?

(1) Is this one of the kits sold at the Wonder Fest where Noel's photo came from?

(2) Did he (or she) get it at that Wonder Fest or in a second market?

(3) If a second market are they willing to tell us where exactly?

(4) Do they think they might be able to get a second original they'd be willing to sell?

(5) Can you give them my email address hoff@wt.net?

(6) Can we see a photo of this kit?

If they are willing to contact me I promise to behave and not beg they sell. But I'd be happy to exchange information. They might have some rare kits I'm not yet aware of and vice versa. I do like to know what's out there so I know what to look for.

We are also going to need a re-caster who is willing to take on a kit of this complexity. How complex? Here is some info straight from the owner of the original IHP kit..."Just a few things about the kit: It is very complicated (lots of small pieces and hollow parts) and the original casting is not the greatest.

There is a lot of flash, and some parts are chipped (from broken sprues).

This is either one of the last kits from the original mold, or IHP was

pushing their skills to the limit. In all honesty, I can see why they are

no longer producing this thing. Ultimately the cost may be a bit more than

$200, not including all the screws (approx 200) needed to complete the kit

(the original doesn’t even include these).

The two names that seem best suited for this kind of work are Valkyrie and someone both Noel and I know. The other person I'm thinking of has recasted a very rough variable kit before... the Megazone Prototype by KIP and he did a very good job. I don't know if he'd want to do this though but if he did he might be able to lower the cost even more as he's got places he could sell the recasts outside of just us here at Macross World. Valkyrie sure gets my enthusiasm vote.

What think??

I could go either way on the screws. Are the types and number of screws needed detailed well in the instructions?

The owner also mentions that the instructions are on CD-Rom but that really isn't a problem as I have no problem either making copies of it or printing out instructions for those who need a hard copy. So now you nderstand all that is involved.

Cool. Did I.H.P originaly give out the instruction on CD-Rom or did someone along the line scan the original directions and put then on CD-Rom? None of my other I.H.P kits have directions on CD-Rom.

I ask those that are *serious* about the kit to post here or contact me.

I want one. I'm in provided the cost comes in under $1000 and the recaster is allowed to do this kit correctly. Based on the condition of this kit I agree with Valkryie. If the ower lets the kit be cleaned up that's a way to go. I don't think he will... I wouldn't. That then means the original parts will need to be molded and new parts cast and it will be those parts that get cleaned up. (Valkrie has done this for me in the past.) And the cleaned up parts will need to be molded again.

As Valkyrie has ponted out the original kit will get back into the owners hands just as fast this way. If this project is going to go farward I'd really want to see it done right. Since I've really wanted to help with the project I'll step up and offer to cover the cost of making the second set of molds in exchange for the right to buy the first recast.

And although I can't mention the name, can you all join me is saying a huge THANKS!! to the owner for being willing to allow the kit to be re-casted!  It is people like this that keep this hobby so much fun and so rewarding.

Thank you. The lime light really isn't as bad as you might think though. Personally its helped me find rare kits by getting my name out there. This way rare kits can find me and I don't always have to go looking for them. That said I respect your wishes... even more so as you ARE willing to share. So thank you.

Melissa any chance you can get someone to contact you that owns a D'Stance YF-21? You must know something I don't. You did good... so thank you too...

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

put me down please and thank you,,

maybe 2 if I can avoid the finacee

Also the VF-4 looks gorgous, so when we get a tally together lets go from thier. Hopefully i dont have to put off buying things for the house/finacee <_<

Hello Melissa,

Great job!

Thank you, and thank you to the person willing to lend the kit!

I don't need to repeat that I'm in for the Koenig Monster, because I've been committed since Shawn had the original thread going. ;) I 'll most like buy (2) if the price is right.

I would definitely like the screws to be included, and perhaps someone like Devin can make custom decals with cool noseart variations.

As Carl said, the original kit can be casted and returned in perfect condition, and then the copy parts cleaned up and the final product made from them.

I will definitely without a doubt buy a variable 1/72 VF-4, and I wouldn't mind having a 1/100 either. Carl mentioned that he definitely has the 1/72 version, and the detail is definitely better from what I've heard.

Thank you Carl for offering to cover the cost to make the second set of molds, that is really cool.

It's also great that "Valkyrie" has stepped forward and agreed to take on the recasting project.

Wow, what a wonderful day. :)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Depending on price, both Destroid and 1/72 scale Variable VF-4G! I do not want the 1/100 scale version and yes, please clean it up to have perfect versions for us.

Devin, can you make some decals for us? and most importantly of all:

Thank You Mr. Anonymous!

Edited by Neova

Mr. Anonymous

Dammit Tom... he said he didnt want his name mentioned. :p

:huh: oops, my mistake. :lol:

Oh, you can put me down for a VF-4 too if it's in 1/72. If it's 1/100, I'm not as sure........oh who am I kidding, I'll probably want it anyways.

As for the screws, I would definitely want to include them. I always thought it was kinda rude for IHP to not include them, thus leaving his customers on thier own to find them. Even if he lists a source.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find them (or at least SAE screws that would be compatible) through domestic industrial supply companies like Grainger or McMaster. I wouldn't want to throw you all to the wolves like IHP did :)

I've messaged Melissa about this already, but I'll post it here too. I'm not too sure if I'd be up for one of these guys, but I'd be willing to help out with sourcing the screws - I'm sure I could get them from McMaster, either Metric or suitable SAE replacements, that should be cheaper than any source that doesn't deal in hardware (and I also have some hardware specific suppliers that may be cheaper than McMaster - depending on quantity). It'll at least help Valkyrie out, with not having to do ALL the work.

Thank you very much Melissa and Mr. Anonymous :D

Please put me down for a Koenig Monster too

BTW, ask Mr. Anonymous if he has the D'stance YF-21, and if he's

willing to have it recasted also.

Mucho, mucho gracias

Excuse the interruption, but I feel I must comment.

Just wanted to say that I've been following this thread from the beginning and it is pretty amazing seeing everyone come together and offer what they can to do something of this magnitude. It is great to follow along and take a break from the "constructive crtitcism" threads elsewhere. ;)

Although I have no resources or talent to offer (wish I could), just wanted to say great job to all and please keep this thread going so I, and others, can see what's going on.

I'm getting a little "van klempt", so I should grab a moment to myself. :D

BTW, I've seen the previous pics on the boards of the VB-6, but with the those side-by-side pics in Shawn's link with the VF-11C and YF-19, they give a text-book definition of "Monster!"

***You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread***

Edited by GRAND CANNON

found this

http://switchblade.ddo.jp/sb/html/event_di...02W/WF2002W.htm

Not sure if it was posted-maybe a couple years ago :)

S

WOW!!! Very nice link. Thank you Shawn. It reminds me of a thread I started in the old forums that was titled "Nice Legs". It was a group shot of most of I.H.P's kits together unpainted with the monster standing in the middle. You could see all of the other kits in the shot (about a half dozen of them... maybe more) and the monster was cut off at the waist... thus the name of the thread. Did anyone here save that pic? I don't have it any more and I'd love to post it here. Its another great shot that shows the scale of this monster.

Shawn... do you think you could dig into the old forums and find it?

Thanks again,

Carl

Ya see, this is one reason I like the models 10x more than the toys.

Us model guys are all about the love 

Very true Grand Cannon....very cool group of people on this board.

I couldn't agree more with both of these points guys. Very well stated.

Carl

Melissa,

I've contacted the other recaster I was thinking of just to see if he was interested in this project. He is. He's the only recaster that I personally know that has experience taking very rough/crude, very complex variable resin kits and cleaning them up and making excellent quality recasts. I'm sure Valkyrie can too. I've got complete faith in both these guys but I'm just wanting to provide options.

Anyways... this person (yes he too wishes to remain completely anonymous). He knows many of these kit makers himself and doesn't want it known he's recasting their works and he's only willing to now as the originals are no longer available. He has a fairly large operation so he might have resources Valkyrie doesn't. And he's already got other avenues available to him in terms of selling this recast. That should help keep costs down.

That said I wasn't directly involved with his last recast project I talked about above. The kit he recasted I believe was his own so I think he cleaned up the original before making the casts. If that's so Valkyrie has more experience with the process of making the casts twice.

I will do my best to see if I can get him to PM you. His biggest concern is seeing the quality of the original kit. Would it be possible to get pictures of the parts posted here so all potential recasters have a chance to see the magnitute of the job they may have before them?

Thanks,

Carl

Hey Guys ...do you think we could actually get a list going of who is really going to buy this thing? That way we could at least figure out how much this thing is going to cost everybody.

Just a suggestion. ;)

ROb MN

Yeah I totally agree w/ Rob! We need an offical list that way we can see how big of a project this will be. Does anyone care to create a new post showing a list of buyers? If we can, try and get it pinned that way it will be easier to get updates to all potential buyers.

I am so stoked about this project. It's just amazing how we can all come together and make this possible for fans such as ourselves. Now if we can only get John M. to finish off his Legioss! That would really make our year!

Best Regards to everyone!

Gene :)